Best paint over rust?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

440Clark

Okay, I'm sure this topic has been gone over but I couldn't really find it. What product is hands down best? POR-15, Rust Bullet, or Magnet Paint Chasis Saver. I've used the Eastwood stuff and it's okay. Come on, let's here it before I commit. I'm getting ready to slather something on the 'ol '35 Ford pick-up. My exterior ain't that bad, but inside it's pretty rusty.

Master Series.
icon14.gif

http://www.masterseriesct.com/

I can't speak for any of the others you mentioned but I've had really good luck with POR15 I've used it on every car that I've done a ground up resto on, and I'll continue to use it.

Insl-X Rust Arrestor is another one that will do just as much as POR15. I coated my 51 F1 cab inside and out with the Rust Arrestor well over a year ago and rust is still not an issue. The metal is still sealed up tight. This stuff is a great rust converter and primer and you can just paint over the old surface rust once you've applied the Rust Arrestor. I've used over 50 gallons of this stuff at my last job so I know it works. It's only available through Sherwin Williams Paint Stores at $51.00 a gallon. For the money and the high quality of it I'll never use anything else again.

T1

I called my local SW and the guy there talked like he never heard of insl-x rust arrestor I thought I would check it out, maybe a cheap alternative to por15!

Ditto - I tried to find this at my SW and they didn't have it, only some other crap I've never heard of and the guy actually said wasn't very good.

The paint guys will die but...Rustoleum "rust reformer" has worked really well for me. Its a rattle can converter & primer, comes out flat black, get it at autozone or home depot.

Insl-X Rust Arrestor is another one that will do just as much as POR15. I coated my 51 F1 cab inside and out with the Rust Arrestor well over a year ago and rust is still not an issue. The metal is still sealed up tight. This stuff is a great rust converter and primer and you can just paint over the old surface rust once you've applied the Rust Arrestor. I've used over 50 gallons of this stuff at my last job so I know it works. It's only available through Sherwin Williams Paint Stores at $51.00 a gallon. For the money and the high quality of it I'll never use anything else again.

T1

I called my local SW and the guy there talked like he never heard of insl-x rust arrestor I thought I would check it out, maybe a cheap alternative to por15!

Then It's a special order item and I know for a fact that SW sells it. Like I said - I've used 50 gallons of it over the past two years. Ask the guy to look it up. I'm telling ya, you'll be glad you bought this stuff. It's well worth the trouble of ordering it.

Thunder

Thunder1, just got back from Sherwin Williams they said they can order it. $75 dollars a gallon or 6 quarts for $120. That's my cost with a business account (granted it's actually my dads and I haven't used it in years). Still sounds like a fair deal based on your rec. Does it go on thin and convert surface or thick and seal it up? Does it have to be topcoated? I sure appreciate the feed back from you guy's before I commit to buying something I know little to nothing about.

I talked to some kid that was working and I don't think he really wanted to help all that much. Im gonna go in there and talk to someone.

Thunder1, just got back from Sherwin Williams they said they can order it. $75 dollars a gallon or 6 quarts for $120. That's my cost with a business account (granted it's actually my dads and I haven't used it in years). Still sounds like a fair deal based on your rec. Does it go on thin and convert surface or thick and seal it up? Does it have to be topcoated? I sure appreciate the feed back from you guy's before I commit to buying something I know little to nothing about.

The cost has gone way up since I bought my last gallon!! [S It used to sell for $51 a gallon?? It's still worth every penny. I'd gladly pay $75 a gallon for it. A gallon will go a very long way. I used almost a half gallon to do my entire cab.
It goes on milky white and thin with a regular paint brush and then as it dries it begins to react with the iron oxide (rust) and it turns green then totally clear when dry. The treated metal will turn almost black as the rust is neutralized. It creates a transparent water repellent surface over the exposed metal when dry and serves as a great primer. You can top coat it with any type of paint you want but it's not a must. I plan on leaving my cab alone at this point and not painting it. I like the finish the way it is. It looks permanently oiled now. This stuff is tough and you don't have to worry about it coming off. Once it's applied, the rust won't come back because the surface will be completely sealed at that point.

Hope this helps. Let me know.

Thunder

Your welcome International Rat. Here's a couple of shots of my 51 with the Insl-X Rust Arrestor applied. You can see the difference in the patina on the passenger door before I coated it. This stuff is awesome in my opinion.

Thunder

Attachments

• Hunter's Car Show 4-4-09 386.jpg
    Hunter's Car Show 4-4-09 386.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 68
  • Hunter's Car Show 4-4-09 388.jpg
    Hunter's Car Show 4-4-09 388.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
That's great news you found it at the price I remembered. I know you'll be really happy with the end result. I can't say enough about how happy I am with how it turned out on my 51.

Thunder

Anyone tried this yet?

http://www.ccapkbs.com/

We had been seeing the set up at Springfield, OH swap meet and also up at Columbus. My buddy bought a frame coater kit, and really liked it. I bought a frame kit, some engine paint, and some other stuff, but have not used it quite yet.

What I have seen though, has me sold on it...pretty decent prices and the folks I talked to were REAL knowledgeable, and they are car folks, to boot! [cl

Latest posts

Back