New Member - Dallas TX - 27 Ford Roadster

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmel

Hello RRR,
My name is Justin, and live in the Dallas, TX area (Rockwall specifically). I recently "finished" my first car. Built a '27 Ford Roadster under the supervision of my father-in-law. He is experienced in this hobby, but I had never changed my own oil before taking on this project. He stood over my shoulder, showed me the ropes, and made sure i didn't burn down his shop.

Acquired the steel T-Roadster body last December, and hit it full force starting mid-January, and was driving it by the end of July.

'27 T Roadster - Flat black
Home-made frame
Front end from '46 Ford (modified)
SBC (305) with TH350 (auto transmission with manual shift valve body) - just to get me going
.308 rear end

Started out with the intent to be a proper rat, but things got a little carried away, and think its now probably more in the traditional catagory. I'm not quite done with this one yet, but am already starting to fantasize about my next project. I think i have been bitten by the bug. My wife is intrigued by a lead sled as my next project - but i'm still stuck wanting a proper rat - wanting anything from a model A coupe/sedan to a pickup.

I look forward to being a member of this community.

Edit: A couple of photos. I'll post a thread showing the build in the other forum once i get some pics together.

Attachments

• T%20-%20Biloxi%20%20Web_jpg.jpg
    T%20-%20Biloxi%20%20Web_jpg.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 24
  • NoTrespassing.jpg
    NoTrespassing.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Welcome to RRR! Nice T! Seems you left a dent in the door - must be a traditional rat. ;)

Why not do a rat sled? Check out the Hillbilly Surf - nice rat cruiser. My Olds is a rat sled.

Hows the Father-in-law deal with the rat idea?

Thanks for the welcome and comments everybody.

Sam....if i did a sled, it would probably be a rat sled. I have a friend with a 51 Chevy Business coupe thats kind of traditional/rat. Rusted through white paint, orange scallops, and bagged. Thats the car that got me interested in the sled idea.

Almost bought a '53 Chev 2 door - fantasized about chopping it, bagging it, painting it flat black.....and since it'd be my wifes car - purple flake top with purple wheels and white walls. But thats something silly i just played with in my head. I'm one of those guys who thinks something would look cool, but then i do it, and the finished product never looks as good as it did in my head.

Was shocked when my '27 came out beyond my expectations.

As far as the father-in-law and rats - he's cool with them. Although he's the reason why it got a little carried away and past the original rat-rod intent. Ended up building it up like something he would have built himself in the 50's/60's. I had no problem with that - quite happy with the end result. Basically, he saved me from myself.

Its kind of funny - he's heavy into Willys right now. Has had a nice assortment of Jeepsters, Willys pickups, and a couple of Willys Panels over the past 10 years. After getting back from cruising the coast - he's toying with the idea of a willys jeepster rat, or an old bus rat-rod.

I'm not much on the rims but I really dig the T. Very nice car man and welcome to the forum.

I'd be happier if they weren't rally wheels - but found them at a swapmeet - already painted the right color, along with the white walls, moons, and beauty rings.......and here's the best part - they were cheap.

Cheap made rally wheels alright in my eyes.

Car was built on a budget. If we couldn't buy it cheap, barter for it, or steal it......we built it.

Latest posts

Back