speedway disc break kit

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

21willys

I recently ordered the disc break kit to put metric gm breaks on my ford spindles. I was very dissapointed to say the least. I was shorted a few parts. I had to grind on there brackets to make there callipers fit. Also had to grind on there callipers but they did mention that it may be required. In the add for them it says that stamped steering arms will work with the kit. No way will they work in stock form. The only way that they are going to work is if I run them backwards and hang the tierod out front. I still had to grind the crap out of them to do this. Plus the mount for the drag link is on the wrong side now so I have to cut it off and move it to the other side. Its going to make me real leary of buying anything else from them.

My Sons and I have bought literally thousands and thousands of dollars worth of stuff from Speedway and for the most part are very happy with what we have gotten. When there has been an issue, they always stepped up and made it right. However, some of their stuff is not exactly what you get from some of the higher priced places, I have to admit that, but you get what you pay for.

I just found out today, when speaking to Wilwood about the brakes that squeal badly on the front of my Son Don's T bucket, that Speedway is selling brake pads with their T bucket front brakes that are actually meant for offroad racing only. That was a little disappointing, and we are going to have to order the proper pads to hopefully get them to quiet down.

But the bottom line is that I have bought from them for over 20 years and am getting ready to place another order because 99.9 % of what I get is just fine. That .1% has to be expected with any large retailer, and as long as they continue to react immediately and make it right I will continue to like them. I suggest you call one of their tech guys and explain your displeasure. Every time I do that they bend over backwards to help.

Don

I think it is impossible to walk into someones shop that is building a hot rod and not see an empty box on the floor with purple writing on it , at least not into mine . :)

i remember seeing in one of you other posts about this it was missing the spindle nuts and washers? it is stated in the description that they are not included in the kit. and for having to grind on the brackets, did you have them on right? i had a customer want to put his own disc kit on to save money, he was saying it didnt fit with out grinding and was going to call and bitch, but he had the brackets on up side down. no issues with kit after that was cleared up.

some of their stuff is cheap, but it is cheap............ i buy the higher quality stuff they have for the same applications

i remember seeing in one of you other posts about this it was missing the spindle nuts and washers? it is stated in the description that they are not included in the kit. and for having to grind on the brackets, did you have them on right? i had a customer want to put his own disc kit on to save money, he was saying it didnt fit with out grinding and was going to call and bitch, but he had the brackets on up side down. no issues with kit after that was cleared up.

some of their stuff is cheap, but it is cheap............ i buy the higher quality stuff they have for the same applications

The parts list that it came with listed the nuts/washers as well as there website does. I got one nut and one washer. Not a big deal tho, I had those on the shelf.

As for the brackets. Ive tried them every way possible. No matter what way they are put on they require two washers to space them out away from the calliper brackets and callipers for them to sit straight. This is after I ground them for a little clearance.

They did say that the callipers may need cleaned up a little to clear the brackets. This is not the grinding that I was talking about.

This is my first build of this nature so yes its possible that I have something wrong with the brackets but I dont believe so.

Customer service - very good. Quality? Not so much. Most times you get what you pay for.
This box pretty much sums it up...

speedwaychina.jpg

Easy solution..pay three times the price and try that stuff for size.
You get what you pay for applies,and buy from Speedy Bill because it's cheap.

I bought a Lucky 7 axle kit and it was the same way...grind to fit....not to impressed either with their stuff...probably massed produced and sold under different labels

The problem any more is that EVERYBODY is outsourcing from places like China. I've gotten stuff from SoCal and Pete and Jakes with those little country of origin stickers on them. I've even bought some stuff that uses metric bolts! :eek: I think several factors affect this, such as companies having to buy there to be able to be price competitive, and the good old USA is not so friendly for businesses any longer. The EPA keeps shutting down chrome platers and those kinds of "polluters" but the other countries not only allow it, but in many cases subsidize it.

Yes, I have gotten stuff that I have to modify to get it to work right, not only from Speedway, but it seems everyplace these days. It IS frustrating, so no one is beating up on you for voicing your displeasure about the parts not fitting as you feel they should........in fact, we thank you for mentioning it. I would be on the phone with customer service at Speedway and see what they suggest and will do for you. We just bought a Mallory fuel pressure regulator from Summit and it leaked out of the body right out of the box. I called, they issued a credit and a UPS pickup, problems solved. I find most companies like those I mentioned will do what is right by you if you treat them nice on the phone and explain your problem.

Don

I recently ordered the disc break kit to put metric gm breaks on my ford spindles. I was very dissapointed to say the least. I was shorted a few parts. I had to grind on there brackets to make there callipers fit. Also had to grind on there callipers but they did mention that it may be required. In the add for them it says that stamped steering arms will work with the kit. No way will they work in stock form. The only way that they are going to work is if I run them backwards and hang the tierod out front. I still had to grind the crap out of them to do this. Plus the mount for the drag link is on the wrong side now so I have to cut it off and move it to the other side. Its going to make me real leary of buying anything else from them.

We use their brake kits all the time and do not have any issues like that. We don't use the metric calipers though! We use the GM intermediates. Non of the kits come with spindles nuts. I don't know why they come with dust caps. We do have to grind the upper steering arm just a little to let the left front caliper clear. Other than that it is all bolt on.

i used there front end kit with their ford spindles and gm metric calipers and used everything went together pretty well.i ordered their weld on bracket rear kit with the same calipers and found i had to gringd the nubs on the brake pads to clear the bracket,and the pads look a little cheap,ill porobably replace them with some thermo quiets but it was very reasonable so i can live with it.overall ive very happy with the stuff ive got

Me and Speedway are tight i buy alot of items from them and never yet had a problem everytime i order i ask for Jennifer.. She knows her stuff and always gets me exactly what im looking for.. She even hooked me up with a free banner last month.. I give thems a thumbs up

I just had a very slight issue with Speedway this week and they took care of it immediately. We ordered a stainless steel drag link for Dan's rpu and when it came it was raw stainless, not polished. I called them and they immediately shipped out a chrome one 2nd day UPS and also a call tag for the stainless one. There was no hassle and they went beyond what I would have expected,

They are like every other large vendor, they have a lot of great stuff and some that is not so great too. You just have to be careful what you are ordering. I've had similar experiences with just about every company I deal with, just part of life.

Don

I just had a very slight issue with Speedway this week and they took care of it immediately. We ordered a stainless steel drag link for Dan's rpu and when it came it was raw stainless, not polished. I called them and they immediately shipped out a chrome one....

So, you gonna call them back and tell them you ordered polished stainless? :D

I just ordered a rear brake conversion kit for a 9" Ford axle. It will be shipped all the way to the Philippines, by a buddy, so I sure hope it has all the bits in, all the right bits. Be a bitch if they forgot something.... :eek:

great luck with speedway...

my only complaint was ordering shock/headlight mounts for my roadster and they sold em to me but forgot to mention they were out of em.. took almost a month to get em but other than that, i've had great luck. AND more and more lately, i've noticed their stuff has " MADE IN USA" stamped on it which is good no matter what the part is. :) i AM slowly being overwhelmed with bumperstickes though.... must have a hundred of the damn things!

.... AND more and more lately, i've noticed their stuff has " MADE IN USA" stamped on it ....

I think you'll find the box has Made In America sticker on it. Nice proud American cardboard boxes, cheap Chinese inside. :eek:

Bit like the Summit Racing boxes that have 'Proudly Made In The USA' stamped on all the boxes, but have little gold 'Made In Taiwan' stickers on the metal gear inside. [S

Latest posts

Back