SpeedWay Motors Wiring Harness

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAT IHC

When I got home there was a box waiting for me from Speedway...I ordered the wiring harness on Friday...afternoon at that. So we're starting off this review with an A+ so far.

The discount from Rebel Wire was tempting, but I went with Speedway for two main reasons...Price and the fact that the Speedway kit comes with most of the connectors. I had read some reviews about the Speedway kit and felt comfortable with it. I've got a GM column and the kit comes with the connector for it which is a nice plus...another nice plus is that it comes with a headlight switch. The instructions look like they are easy to follow.

The wires are well marked seem to be very good quality. One thing that I noticed right away when I opened the box was that all of the wires are prestripped. You might not think that's a big deal until you have to strip a bundle of wires yourself...I know that most will have to be cut for length, but it's still nice that they've done that.

I will continue this review as I install it and give it a final grade when it's all done.

-Troy

Attachments

• IMG_0964.JPG
    IMG_0964.JPG
    168.1 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0966.JPG
    IMG_0966.JPG
    169.8 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0967.JPG
    IMG_0967.JPG
    168.9 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0968.JPG
    IMG_0968.JPG
    178.8 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0969.JPG
    IMG_0969.JPG
    212 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
keep us posted , have looked at that kit also , might have to get one, looks good and the price is right
Will Do!
Coming home to a Speedway box on the porch is always good! Thanks for posting, I've been eyeballin' this kit too.
Always Put's a Smile On My Face! :D
What is the number of the kit?
Here is the link:
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-20-Circuit-Wiring-Harness,42872.html

Keep us posted on how the installation goes, Troy. From what I can see in the pictures that kit looks pretty good.

Don

Will do Don...I was really suprised on the quality of the wires and all the bits and pieces.

-Troy

I used Rebel Wire because I didn't want to have to terminate both ends of every wire! Doing one end was more than enough and I think it cuts done on human error! :eek:

Toad

I used Rebel Wire because I didn't want to have to terminate both ends of every wire! Doing one end was more than enough and I think it cuts done on human error! :eek:

Toad

The one end is terminate in a fuse block...sorry for the confusion I should have added a picture of that as well. I'll put one up tonight when I get home. Couldn't agree with you more...the less amount of wire terminating the better! :D

-Troy

So far we have used an American Autowire (my Son Dan's rpu) a Rebel (my 27) and a Summit (my Son Don's T bucket) The major differences were that the AA kit allows you to unplug each wire from the fuse panel so you can install one at a time, but it is pretty costly. The Rebel was a nice kit for the money and I would buy another one. The Summit kit was a bear to install as they do some goofy things circuitwise and the instructions suck. We have done a fair amount of wiring over the years and there were times we were scratching our heads on the way the Summit kit should be installed.

Don

I looked at the Summit kit as well...read some of the same type of reviews. With the Speedway kit I can see where there might be a few issues, but workable to say the lease. I've done a "dry run" with the harness in my living room so I think I'll be able to figure out all the little nuances when I start wiring live on the truck. I think the biggest issue I had to figure out is where to route everything...that's why I laid out the harness in my living room...I also started to map things on paper with measurements and diagrams. Something I learned by reading a thread or two from this guy named "Don". :D:D:D

-Troy

wire harness

Hello every one . My name is Erik . I just rescently bought a unfinshed rat rod.
The guy did this thing from scratch . 6 fuses in the whole truck .and it looks like a rats nest . I don't have turn signals,horn,every thing is on toggel switches . I can try to post some pics of this mess.
There are so many wiring harness company's out there. And this will be my first time wiring a whole car from scratch . I called speedway and talked to them . looked on ebay . there is 1 on there from keep it clean for $89.00 10 circuit . it is by far the cheepest i have found . The only thing i don't like about speed way is that the flashers hang lose . but the price seems fair . I want to make sure . I have every thing there Circuits: Horn, Fan, Dome Light, Hazard, Radio, Brake, Headlights, Trunk/Dome Light, Gauges, Backup and Wipers, Choke, Coil, Radio, Ignition, Electric Fuel Pump, , Turn Signal. At least one constant hot . and alt

chicken coop, the less you pay for something, especially wire harnesses the less the manufacture will do to make it easy to install.
If you read this thread, Don has done a lot of wiring and if he says he'll buy another Rebel wire harness then it must be good. jmho :)
By the way welcome to the site.
Do an intro and post some pics of your project ;)

I'll agree with Don rebel wire is good sh#@ stuff I've done several I'm on my 3rd Speedway next will be another rebel an it's true cheaper isn't always better

wiring

I have installed many different type kits and for the money the speedway kit is hard to beat. I have had no issues with them 2 kit have been in now for 3 years one of the has 50,000 miles on the car and no electrical issues on any of them (the 18-21 circuit kit is what I stock)

In the early 90 I was a dist for painless and done repair work and installs using there kits and from what I see the speedway harness is every bit as good. I could not stand the ronfraniss kits but if that's what the customer was dead set on that's what went in.

Since I got back into street rods painless and vintage air are not intrested in the little guy just big corprations , guss thy forgot the small shop who where there in their start us we were Central Custom Connection (White Settlement Texas) now Dagels repair River Oaks Texas.

Just received my speedway kit today. I cant attest to the eas of instalation but I can say their shipping is faster that what they assured me of. I ordered it on Thursday, they said it would be here Wednesday and it arrived today (Monday). Looking forward to getting in the garage and hookin it up.

Any tips?

My most basic Rebel wire kit installed and worked fine for quite a while. I had a headlight switch problem (not theirs) and was looking under my dash with my mind in trouble shooting mode. I noticed that the tailights were only fused through the 30 amp fuse that also fused the headlights. A short in the tailights would have taken out all my lights. I put in an inline fuse holder in the feed to the tailights with a 10 amp fuse so that any trouble there should take out this fuse and save the headlights. I believe the load of the tailights through the headlights was just enough to overload the built in circuit breaker in my old headlight switch. My next kit will have a dedicated tailight feed from the panel.

Blue

Latest posts

Back