1950 Stude Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks everyone for the complements. :D I really think I have more fun building them then driving them when there done. I'm almost afraid to drive my muscle cars anymore. Really have to watch out for those other guys and I can never leave them parked unattended. The only one I don't worry about is the 65 Rambler.:eek:

Oh well.

My next task on the Stude is to finish the console to dash connection for the CD/DVD player. Then I'm going to take it all apart and pull the body off the frame so I can finish up some welding and prep the frame. I need to add some more frame bracing. It will have close to 400hp compared to the original 90 hp. I will then mount the rear shocks, run the fuel lines and brake lines, fab up the exhaust and whatever else I can think of with the frame accessible.

I'll make sure I take lots o' pics because I know you guys like pics!

The *really* important stuff!!!

My next task on the Stude is to finish the console to dash connection for the CD/DVD player.

Dude,
Great build but I'm glad u're gittin' down 2 the *really* important stuff now!!! ; - >

BoB

Rock on!!!

Yea, I know. I'm probably getting a little carried away!:rolleyes: But I've had the car for almost 40 years with not even an AM radio in it.:eek:

DWM,
I hear people all the time talk about teh beautiful music their motor makes... I'm sorry... the motor in my Chevelle sounds really kool too but... it sounds even better with the Beatles & James Brown blastin' in da background (ok... I'm an old guy diggin' da oldies)!!! ; ->

Rock on DMW... love u're ride & can't wait to see the sheet metal hangin' back on da front!!!

BoB

Didn't get a chance to work on the car this weekend. I cleaned and rearrainged my shop. I'm getting ready to start my '51 F1 project. So I had to make some more room. I sure wish I could get a storage lift maybe 2 of them. I'm running out of room or getting too many cars! Is that possible? :confused:

I moved my 54 Stude truck outside to p*** off the homeowners association. Funny how the first 3 letters descibes them perfectly! :p

I know I should finish the project I got started but sometimes there isn't a lot I can do on it so I need something else to work on. Or that's how I'm justifing it to my wife or maybe to myself.

I made a body dolly out of 2X6s and some caster wheels I've had laying around. I put the cab on it to get it off my trailer so I can pick ups some metal and start on the frame. I will start a build thread on it when I start building.

I will get something done on the Stude this week end.

Man, I had to dig way back to find this thread.

I have been working on this car a bit. I finished up the dash and got it in the car. Started making a mounting place for the CD/DVD player. I need to make some sort of side panels to go from the console to underneath the dash to cover this area and mount the heater vents.

008.jpg

Got an electric wiper motor from Newport Engineering. O boy, no more vacuum wipers that only worked when it wasn't raining! Bolts right in place of the original motor.

009.jpg

010.jpg

Here's a shot of the 6 way power Leather seats and console from a 2003 Trailblazer.

011.jpg

oh man that thing is turning out GREAT!!!! I cant wait to see it finished. I just wish I had the time to work on my stude!

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!

Now that I've almost completed my F1 Rat the Pumkin Chucker, I will get back to work on this one. I promise. This has been off the road way to long now, since 1982. Most of the fab work is completed. I just need to pull the body off the frame clean it up, weld up the frame reinforcments and put it back together.

Put on a new power brake booster this one is 7" diameter. The stock GM one was hitting the fender. As it I wll still have to modify the fender for clearance.

20090510.jpg

Steering Shaft using a SS Borgeson double universal Chevy splined to double D.
20090511.jpg

I'm using a support in the middle since it has 3 universals in the shaft. Lower universl is a SS Borgeson Mustang II rack to double D

20090512.jpg

I have had this radiator but never took pictures of it. After some research I found out that a Chevy 55-57 radiator with the 6 cylinder mounts will work with some minor mods.

The size is almost exacty the same dimensions. It has the center inlet and passenger side outlet. It is aluminum with 2-1" cores.

20090513.jpg

20090514.jpg

20090515.jpg

20090516.jpg

Well after a year of putting it off I'm finally back to work on the Studebaker. I spent the last 2 days clean up all the junk around the car so I can get work on it and have room to get the gantry crane over it to pull the body off.

013.jpg

I assembled the body dolly I bought. I know I could have built it but sometimes it's just easier and less expensive just to buy it.

014.jpg

The car is amazingly straight and rust free. But we have owned it since 1969 and it spent a good part of it's life in CA or garaged. I did finish all the body work and primered it back in 1977 but never painted it. It's been a Rat Rod for 32 years.
018.jpg

019.jpg

I have already installed a Fatman front subframe and Mustang II suspension with disc brakes. All the suspension is pretty much completed. I just need to pull the body off and finish some frame work the transmission crossmember, run brake and fuel lines, rear shock mounts and clean things up.

015.jpg

016.jpg

017.jpg

Here is the engine for it. Speedway Motors 406 Chevy.
006.jpg

Latest posts

Back