1937 Packard 115 coupe

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOW![cl :D :cool:
Embarrasses me to show my hammer against a rock metal work.
[P [P [P
Torchie

You'd laugh if you saw how low-tech my fab work is :D Started with a cardboard template (Cheerios box :eek:) , bent the curve over the front tire, bent the side flanges by clamping to the bench with a piece of scrap and leaning on it, wee bit of hammering at the back end. For the front flange, I just slipped a piece of metal in front by the toeboard, tacked it, then trimmed off the excess and finish welded, some sanding and drilling - bada boom, bada bing [;):cool:

You'd laugh if you saw how low-tech my fab work is :D Started with a cardboard template (Cheerios box :eek:) , bent the curve over the front tire, bent the side flanges by clamping to the bench with a piece of scrap and leaning on it, wee bit of hammering at the back end. For the front flange, I just slipped a piece of metal in front by the toeboard, tacked it, then trimmed off the excess and finish welded, some sanding and drilling - bada boom, bada bing [;):cool:

That's the way we do it.:D
I call my cardboard templates my CAD system>(Cardboard assisted drawings.[ddd)
Still looks great ZZ.
[P [P [P
Torchie

I believe you have to have an innate feeling for how metal reacts to forming efforts. Especially when doing it by hand and not with all the splendid machines that are available. Very few people have the gift, most of us don't.

Before I get the rest of the floor in, I figured I'd make the shifter linkage, easy to fab by just popping the engine out....
With the shifter mounted so far forward the linkage would be at a bad angle, plus it would reverse the movement needed to the AOD shifter arm. Lokar provides a new shift arm that points up but it means taking the tranny pan off and it gets in the way of the TV arm. My solution is to make up a bellcrank to reverse the movement of the shifter arm, works just fine.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1166.JPG
    IMG_1166.JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_1167.JPG
    IMG_1167.JPG
    130.4 KB · Views: 104
Good idea on the shift linkage! I ended up making an kinda Z shaped arm to clear the throttle valve arm. It set the linkage far enough away that the throttle valve arm could move like it was supposed to. Of course mine is column shift, so it works right reverse to yours.

Got the front part of the floor made and tacked in. I wanted to do the flat part of the floor in 1 piece but that made it too large to fit my bead roller (and too large to handle!!) so it gets done in 2 pieces.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1168.JPG
    IMG_1168.JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 70
Thanks guys.!
Made and welded in the over the diff section, still need to make the lid for battery access, the 2 holes at the back are for access to the shock mounts. Also need to make small cover plates for them and over the body mount bolt holes.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1176.JPG
    IMG_1176.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_1177.JPG
    IMG_1177.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_1178.JPG
    IMG_1178.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 73
Made these removable filler pieces between the floor and quarter panel, also the cover plates for the body mount holes.

attachment.php

Battery box cover made.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1179.JPG
    IMG_1179.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_1180.JPG
    IMG_1180.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_1182.JPG