I'm Gonna Build A Dragster!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's back together and runs. Just have to top off the transmission then the cowl top can be put on. I welded a slantie piece in the intake plenum to eliminate the low spot where raw gas could pool.

Attachments

• Digger Done 001.jpg
    Digger Done 001.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 77
  • Digger Done 002.jpg
    Digger Done 002.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 61
That plate should do real fine.

More pictures please. [cl[cl

Interested in how the 1.14's sit on your top plate?

How thick of spacers did you have to install?

Will you be able to make a few driveway starts?

To answer some questions; I don't know how much smoothing should be done on the inside of the plenum but I did dress the welds with an air angle grinder and 2" discs. The walnut spacers are 3/4" thick, Tom. I had to cut the choke linkage off the throttle shaft as it hung down too far. Also trimmed the linkage on the throttle arm side for the same reason. In going through my inventory of carbs I find I have 3 1.08 venturis and only one 1.14. OI, I pretend to be the Lone Ranger Racing Team because I am the only member. Hence "Silver Bullet" for the car. The skeleton Lone Ranger was the idea of Kathy the Sign Painter.

Getting back to BlueNorther, I know a slant 6 guru, don Dolmetch, who says the same thing about inlines. They can use a lot more carb for racing than the formulas indicate. Lots of opinions on these subjects.

Attachments

• last manifold 001.jpg
    last manifold 001.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 42
  • last manifold 004.jpg
    last manifold 004.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 42
  • last manifold 005.jpg
    last manifold 005.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 45
I've seen some of Don's slant six car on the net, and yes I agree that sixes are a whole different cat when it comes to carbs.

doing a little math, ( that's all my head can take) those 3 1.08's would flow
866 2bbl cfm = 610.6 4bbl cfm. hint, hint, hint!!!

as for the finish on the inside of the plenum a little roughness helps stop fuel dropout that would occur with a polished finish, I used to use 36 grit flapper wheels on the inside of all my intake manifolds and intake ports, and polish the exhaust ports to a mirror finish, as you don't have worry about fuel separation on the exhaust side

As you don't have two 1.14 and the setup is built for dual 2100 carbs I would rebuild two 1.08 and run them and see how they work. You can always build another top plate and install the three 1.08 carbs later if the motor indicates that it needs more air & fuel.

As you know the stock 300 head is a very poor CFM flowing device. Even with bigger intake and exhaust valves they need to be heavily ported and polished along with cleaning up the area around the bottom of the valve head.:D

Remember, build it like you planned and want. What she runs on the track will tell you about your next move. Thanks for the pictures, stick with it, looking great.[cl

Since when has any drag racer applied common sense?

The saying around drag strips has always been: If some is good, more is better,and TOO much is just enough!!!

But, you are right start with 2 - 1.08's, and the next race show up with 3 of them bad boys.

Tongue Firmly planted in cheek!

Peace, Love, and Big CFM's!

Get anything back from the converter builder?

Are you going to get the new 2x2 plenum installed on the dragster for the MSRA August race at Brainerd, MN?

Yes Tom, I got the converter back at no charge. Unfortunately I can't put it in with one arm in a sling. Next year.

What can I do with one working arm. Rebuilt the carbs made return spring brackets and started on the fuel line.

Attachments

• 300 carbs 001.jpg
    300 carbs 001.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 59
  • 300 carbs 002.jpg
    300 carbs 002.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 59
Bob, That's a stand up converter company to make the deal right.[cl

Linkage and return spring setup looks like it will get the job done. Have you got the carbs rebuilt and back together?

Do you think you will be able to start that 300 beast without any choke plates?

I made a very primitive scoop. Arm still in the sling but I can use the hand a bit
Bought two of the next larger venturi carbs (1.14) in case the existing ones (1.08) prove to be too small.

Attachments

• steel and scoop 001.jpg
    steel and scoop 001.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 48
  • steel and scoop 002.jpg
    steel and scoop 002.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 41
  • steel and scoop 003.jpg
    steel and scoop 003.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 44
Well, the 2 carb set up didn't work. We put the single 4 bbl. back on for the Fall Out Drags at Eau Claire. It was cool and lots of cars ran personal bests. Dave was driving and ran a 11.60 @ 118mph. Been moving things around in the cockpit to make more room for Dave as he is about 80 pounds heavier than me. Told him if he loses the weight the car will be a tenth quicker.
Here's a pit pic from the Fallout. Notice I'm the only one working on the car.:D

Attachments

• 43493539_2168379929861705_5068506037179383808_n[1].jpg
    43493539_2168379929861705_5068506037179383808_n[1].jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 182

Latest posts

Back