Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Builds!

Builds! Post your project here... show us what you're up to! Please Note: This section is for "Builds" ONLY!

Old 07-14-2018, 09:19 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

I really like the '56 Ford, too. I love the body style. That's why I'm doing this car. I lost my butt in the trade I made for it, as I have had to fix so many problems that I didn't take the time to look for. It was a black 1956 Ford Fairlane, and I fell in love with the idea of it. Now, after over three years and way too much money, I am finally getting to the point where I can visualize it actually being on the road. It won't be a show car, but that's not what I want. I hope it'll be a dependable, fun daily driver with just a few custom touches to made me happy.
Old 07-14-2018, 01:37 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Yep, if you are like me, you really do not want to know how much money you have in the car. When people ask me, I have to honestly answer that I do not keep track, nor would I ever want to.
Old 07-14-2018, 05:35 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsrods View Post
Yep, if you are like me, you really do not want to know how much money you have in the car. When people ask me, I have to honestly answer that I do not keep track, nor would I ever want to.
Exactly!
Old 07-14-2018, 06:46 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

All that counts is that the ones who build and own the vehicles are the ones that are happy.

Last edited by Old Iron; 07-14-2018 at 09:48 PM.
Old 07-14-2018, 07:09 PM
Fascinated by rolling objects!

Old 07-24-2018, 08:22 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

I spent the last few days working on small stuff, building parts and such. Nothing much picture-worthy, but necessary nonetheless.

I built some 16 gauge plates to mount speakers to, and welded them to the rear shelf. I also built a mounting bracket for the third brake light and drilled the shelf for it. I had ordered a package tray and it showed up bent (cardboard) so I used it to make a pattern, traced all the speaker and light mounts onto it and cut out all the holes. I'll either make a tray out of Masonite or cover the cardboard one with something to hide the damage. By the time I spend the money on return postage, the cost will be beyond what the replacement is worth. I'll just deal with the damaged part.

I wanted to get all that done before preparing the opening for the rear window and installing it, as it's much easier without the window in the way.

Yesterday I rebuilt the vent window assemblies. I had to build some brackets that were missing, such as bottom attachment mounts for the vent channel and bottom travel stops for the door windows. I got everything but back in the doors, adjusted, and ready to go.

Now I have to install the quarter glass into the lift channels, replace the run channel around both of them, and get everything adjusted and working right. This is all new to me, and this quarter window deal has me worried. The manual doesn't show much, and I'm having a hard time deciding how to determine the right order of assembly. Maybe I'll find something on youtube...

As soon as the window work is done, I'll get the back glass installed and start on bodywork. The biggest show in this area (over 600 cars) is on Labor Day weekend, so I have a little less than six weeks. I'm not building this car to win trophies, but I do get a kick out of talking about the nuts and bolts things involved in building vehicles with folks. And, a few of my friends keep bugging me to get it done and park next to them at the show. We'll see how things go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180722_161013[1].jpg (80.7 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 20180722_134422[1].jpg (93.2 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by animal; 07-24-2018 at 08:28 AM. Reason: added photos
Old 07-24-2018, 08:57 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Making headway
Old 07-24-2018, 02:06 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Thanks, OI! I'm trying to figure out how to bend the window run channel 90 degrees without ruining it. Learning new skills everyday...
Old 07-26-2018, 08:53 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Default Changing the thread's title

I talked to Tripper about changing the thread's title... I think after three years and change, the "begins" part of the original title is a bit dated.
Old 07-26-2018, 10:33 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Torchie