Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Builds!

Builds! Post your project here... show us what you're up to! Please Note: This section is for "Builds" ONLY!

Old 12-31-2010, 07:14 PM
Ol school snake charmer!

Here's a little update on my Willys. Tonight I will be switching places with it and my car! .......... my daughter and son-in-law are here to help me make the switch and we have a break in the weather (both vehicles will have to be pushed outside to do it) so I can't pass up the chance to make the switch. And besides it's New Years Eve so it's only fitting to do it tonight seeing how it was 28 years ago tonight that we chopped the top on this thing. So I guess my wife will find out about my "Rat Build" tonight but it will still be a secret to the rest of my friends and family. Wish me luck
Old 01-01-2011, 12:49 PM
Ol school snake charmer!

Default Whew, what a night!

........slept in till almost eleven but I'm one step closer to getting back to work on the Willys after a "ten year lull" Snapped a few pics of the evening's events.....

From a truck covered with boxes to a car stuffed with boxes!
The Chevy II loaded and ready to roll.......when it comes to wheel/tire combos I've always liked big and littles but this is taking it to the extreme I think LOL

The Willys loaded up and ready.......

A little indoor traffic jam!

The car outside for the first time in nine years.....the Willys 13 years!

We missed the Times Square "Ball Drop" but we did take a break at midnight and launch a few spuds.......found the "Tater Hater II" in the cab of the Willys when I started cleaning it out........takes a pretty big tater for this one but it's fun and belches five or six feet of fire in the dark

When I built my garage I couldn't afford a concrete floor and I already had some rough sawn framing and lumber so that's the route I went. Granted it's not the best surface for welding on but it doesn't kill your back to stand on it like concrete does. Anyway, the floor boards have shrunk up and left some cracks so we took the opportunity to put down some plywood......at least where the truck used to sit.

Wow, look at that!.........bet it won't look like that for long LOL

......see, I told you.

Old 01-01-2011, 01:06 PM
Ol school snake charmer!

Default 3:00 AM January 1, 2011

Happy New Year! I have high hopes for 2011 but this has to be one of the slowest projects in the world, LOL
Here's a pic from about 2:00 AM Jan. 1, 1983..

...and here's one from twenty eight years later...3:00 AM Jan. 1, 2011
I don't have a son but if I did I'd want this guy to be him.....me and my son-in-law.

.....he was less than one year old when the first pick was taken and my daughter wasn't born yet, see what I mean about slow

So there it sits and my mind is swirling with ideas. Next New Year's Eve party will be a "Midnight Cruise"........weather permitting of course.

Oh I almost forgot, Momma knows my secret and she's excited too!

To be continued,

Ray
Old 01-01-2011, 01:54 PM

Default Glad

I'm glad that Mom's happy with this Rat. But the best was what you said about you Son-in-law. That was cool. Good job Man!!!
Old 01-03-2011, 05:27 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Farm View Post
That's the coolest stereo shelf I've ever seen!
Do the lights work? That'd be a sweet place for a couple speakers...put gray/silver mesh over 'em.

-Chaz
Old 01-04-2011, 06:53 PM
Ol school snake charmer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopower View Post
......... the best was what you said about you Son-in-law. That was cool. Good job Man!!!
Hey, I just tell it like it is man I really am blessed when it comes to my daughter and the fine young man she married

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamor View Post
That's the coolest stereo shelf I've ever seen!
Do the lights work? That'd be a sweet place for a couple speakers...put gray/silver mesh over 'em.

-Chaz
Thanks, it's nice to be able to see it again I have had the lights working with a model train transformer but it burnt up and I haven't replaced it.....need to do that though cause it is pretty cool with them lit up.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:43 PM
Ol school snake charmer!

Okay, since getting the Willys dug out and moved to where I can work on it I've been looking it over and assessing the situation to see what move I should make first. One of my main concerns is the engine. Although the truck has never moved under it's own power I have had the engine running several times over the years.......but with the truck being stored cross ways in my tiny garage preventing the tilt nose from being opened it hasn't been turned over for nine years now

My question is, how should I handle it?? Should I stick a breaker bar on it and give it a try? Should I pull the plugs and shoot some WD-40, PB Blaster or ??? in the cylinders and let it soak awhile first? This engine has sat two or three years before and turned fine..........but NINE is a lot Hope it's okay because getting another motor would be a major setback on a project with "no budget"
Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
Ray
Old 01-04-2011, 11:35 PM

Pull the plugs spray wd or pb don't matter let it set for a couple days then spray the cylinders again. Wait a couple more days then try to turn it over with the plugs out. If that don't work pull the heads and hit the tops of the pistons with a small hand sledge use the bottom of the handle not the head. Or you could damage the pistons best case is it will brake loose and run ok most likely it will burn a little oil. Either way what do you have to loose. If it works cool if not your back to square 1 used to do it with junk yard motors. Just to beat the hell out of our junkers in the fields when we where kids. All in all I recomend rebuilding the motor or finding another.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:57 AM
The Hot Rod Cop

just pull the plugs, spray the cylinders good with WD40 or like oil, let it sit over night, turn it by hand 3-4 complete revalutions, fresh engine oil, spin it on the starteruntil it builds oil presure, put plugs back in, fire it up. SBC is a tough motor. it will run.

"people riding so many scooters on the country mountain roads it looks like Thailand." Yodaforce

"all the ones I find around here are as solid as tin foil....." Neverdone

Giffins Performance custom CNC plasma cutting, home of the LSX swaps!

Turbo Datsun Build

52 COE Ramp Truck Build

1950 GMC Build
Old 01-05-2011, 10:33 AM
International man of mystery!

Send a message via AIM to Rat33pickmup

Marvels mystery oil or Trans fluid, they both help with any rust in cyl wall and will unstick the rings, wait 24-48 hours.... used this MANY times and only once it didnt work.....

Jim

p.s. done this on a 2300 pinto engine that sat in a field with no hood on the car for about 3 years. after it broke loose we fired it and it smoked like heck and has been in a friends 81 Mustang for about 10 years now.