71 caddy belt question???

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratrodney

hey all.
Brought my 71 caddy home yesterday. My original 1971 belts couldnt take the strain or was stretched a bit far and slipped off the power steering pump n such.
So im gonna get new belts all around.
Question??
Im not using a/c nor even know if it works so can I just skip the air compression n a/c unit altogether?
Just need water pump n alternator n definatly power steering..lol
The one image looks like there idea of were the belt goes if your skipping a.c but im not sure??
Tnx...RR

Attachments

• belts.jpg
    belts.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 20
If nothing is in the way, it looks like it should work. Likely one belt on the forward slot in the P/S pulley should be adequate.

Looks like eliminate belt C and use belt B non AC, may can use two belts on PS if they clear.

I did the same thing on my '66 Caddy 429. Not the exact same setup, but close. I eliminated the AC ( air pump back then). After that it squealed a lot. There wasn't enough belt friction between the water pump and power steering belt to turn the ALT. So I moved the ALT back and ran that belt down to the crank pulley also.

Make sense?

Do I need the air pump located on the bottom?
Is that part of the a/c or is it smog stuff? Do I need it?

Air pump is for smog, Not needed if your state will let you eliminate the smog components.

Thanks for the tips everyone.
My alternator belt is good and the belt that goes around the air pump nand crank n water pump is good.
I just need at least one but preferably two belts to go from power steering pump to crank pull.
Okay...dumb rookie question.
I'll have to take off alternator and air pump pulls to get the two power steering belts on.
I'm good on alternator but we're the bolts to adjust the tension at on the air pump and power steering pump?

Latest posts

Back