Wood is good.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another 2 parter..

Final installation of the new intermediate frame to the inside of the inner ply followed by the final installation of the inner ply to the new bottom frames.
All bedded in 3M 5200.
I started at 10:30 a.m. and finished at 6:30 p.m.:eek::D
I'm done for the day.
Torchie

Attachments

• 2-1.jpg
    2-1.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 2-4.jpg
    2-4.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 2-5.jpg
    2-5.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 2-3.jpg
    2-3.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 2-6.jpg
    2-6.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 8
Part 2...

The inner ply is bedded in 5200 as well and then held in place with self tapping sheet metal screws until it's cured. Then the screws are removed.
Torchie

Attachments

• 2-7.jpg
    2-7.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 2-8.jpg
    2-8.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 9
  • 2-9.jpg
    2-9.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 2-11.jpg
    2-11.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 2-12.jpg
    2-12.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 2-13.jpg
    2-13.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 9
  • 2-14.jpg
    2-14.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 10
That's a lot of work Torchie, just the budget for the 5200 would break the bank up here.

Same here Dozer. Glad I not the one writing the checks ��
Just to get to this point I’ve used 6 tubes. So figure the same for the other side.
Then when I put the final layer of mahogany planks down I figured another 55 or so tubes��
The general quote to replace a bottom on a 18 foot like this one a couple of years ago was 10,000 but that didn’t take in to consideration any repair work.
And you all have seen how much of that I’ve had to do to this boat ��
Torchie

Last edited:
I only imagined the time it would take to do this job but, I wasn't even close to what time it takes :eek:
[cl
[P[P[P

Had there been 2 people doing this part of the restoration the time could have been cut down to about 3 hours, OI.
Lots of time lost having to pick up-put down- different tools as well as all those screws.
With 2 one could have been buttering the backs of the frames while the other installed and then once the first piece was fitted 2 people screwing it down would have been way faster.
Most of the local restorers around me are at least 2 person shops. Some jobs just need a second person.
I'm barely half a person anymore.:eek: [ddd
Torchie

I understand about the two person work force, still equates out to 6 man hours tho :)
Keep up the good work [cl
[P[P[P

Yes it does OI
Labor intensive no matter how you cut it.
Just another reason why these ( or any) wooden boat work isn’t cheap.
I suspect that if a shop was doing this boat the final bill would exceed the value.
Kind of sounds familiar......😳
Torchie

Burger took the thoughts right out of my head. The work we put into rebuilding anything will not be seen or appreciated by many people.
Keep up the good work Torchie. You aren't under-appreciated here.

Thanks for all the comments gang.
Steamed the frames for the SB side today.
I had planned on having the step on the bottom completely done this week but the weather isn’t cooperating . Going to be too cold to use the 5200 and get a proper cure. So other then some prep I’m in the wait mode.
Torchie

Attachments

• 4F25C991-1403-440C-B8E7-A64A428348A4.jpg
    4F25C991-1403-440C-B8E7-A64A428348A4.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 12
Weather is co-operating so I final installed the SB side inner ply.
Both sides done and other then pulling the screws in a week and giving it a good double coat of CPES that's it for now,
Back to the Dodge.:D :cool:
Torchie

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 2-1.jpg
    2-1.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 2-3.jpg
    2-3.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 2-5.jpg
    2-5.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 10
  • 2-7.jpg
    2-7.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 2-8.jpg
    2-8.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 2-9.jpg
    2-9.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 11
  • 2-4.jpg
    2-4.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 2-11.jpg
    2-11.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 12
Looks great, Torchie. (Though I've had some trouble following exactly what you're doing, it makes better sense as it comes together. [cl)

I "assume" the sides are in good shape and will be refinished/refurbished... can the same be said for the deck... or am I way, way out to lunch on both accounts???

Looks great, Torchie. (Though I've had some trouble following exactly what you're doing, it makes better sense as it comes together. [cl)

I "assume" the sides are in good shape and will be refinished/refurbished... can the same be said for the deck... or am I way, way out to lunch on both accounts???

You know what they say about "assume" Doc.[ddd
Decks need to be redone for sure. And most likely hull sides as well.
Back when I started to mess with wood boats ( Mid 70's) this would have been a candidate for the burn pile. But now it's a keeper.:eek:
When I first talked to my bro-in-law about taking on this project his thoughts were that it would just be a re planking from the water line up.:p :D :p
IF it were my boat I would go for a custom look. It's never going to be a hundred point restoration with that Y block in it.
I would use the side hull planks that are on it (Solid, but mismatched from previous repairs.)and paint them Chris Craft Navy Blue. Leaving the transom in stain and varnish as well as the decks and covering boards which will need to be replaced.
Right after WWII CC made some of their runabouts and utilities with painted sides and varnished transoms and decks due to the fact that they were planked with Spanish Cedar . Instead of the then unavailable Mahogany.
Good looking boats in my opinion. See the pics. The last one is a 1948, 19 Foot racer that came from the factory in paint.
I have been weighing suggesting that to him........
Torchie

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 17
  • special-racer.jpg
    special-racer.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 1956-26-Chris-Craft-Sea-Skiff-01-768x492.jpg
    1956-26-Chris-Craft-Sea-Skiff-01-768x492.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 19
  • Cherry-Float-McCall-Boat-Show-1024x1024.jpg
    Cherry-Float-McCall-Boat-Show-1024x1024.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Torchie, the breadth of your knowledge is awesome. Not to mention your skills. You have made me very happy I never got into wood boats, however.

Latest posts

Back