'48 Olds

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The more you think about the chop and section, the easier it will be.

If I think about it much more than I already do, I'll be chopping it in my dreams!

There is a local surplus store that has cheap fenders. They also have a few 55 gal. barrels I thought might work.

Sam, Check out Tex Smith's book on chopping tops. It has an article on 46 Chevys which I think resembles yours a little...Hope this helps you decide to chop!![cl..:DCR

Thanks CR, but I kinda want to do it on my own - maybe with a little help from RRR. I know it's reinventing the wheel, but the journey is most of the fun!

That said, I've heard of the book, and planned on studing it after I get my own plan together, but BEFORE I start cuttin'.

After checking VonRatty's build and his B/W pics, I thought I'd try it too. It doesn't make my work better, but it looks cool.

Attachments

• fw-bw.jpg
    fw-bw.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 97
Sam, Check out Tex Smith's book on chopping tops. It has an article on 46 Chevys which I think resembles yours a little...Hope this helps you decide to chop!![cl..:DCR

I agree, Tex Smith's Chopping Tops is a good resource for everyone on this forum. I also bought Ron Covell's DVD on chopping and sectioning, also a good resource.

55 gallon drums would probably work well for the fenders. The drums are made of very low carbon steel so they will bend instead of break when punched with a forklift fork. The steel is very maleabe and easy to shape - compared with the sheet you can get at the local steel supply. The excess should work well for other bits and pieces you might need to make.

Did some more. Got my trailer fender, cut it in half, and formed the tubs. Had to notch into the quarter as far as I could go for clearance when slammed. Still not enough for the tires I want to eventually run. Got the rear seat area tacked in and all the cab mount tabs welded in place. Floor is pretty much complete. Went to check cab mounts and found I cut an air line while trimming a floor panel - Doh! (kinda expected that might happen).

Attachments

• tfender.jpg
    tfender.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 119
  • rearfloor.jpg
    rearfloor.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 136
  • rearfloor2.jpg
    rearfloor2.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 133
  • fenderwell.jpg
    fenderwell.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 133
Sweet work on the floor!! A place I never used much imagination. The metal selection is excellent. Ya see so much of the inside it oughtta be interesting..

Its important to see good examples of quality, hobby/non pro, work using whats available like this. We get covered up with professional fabrication, and forget out roots.

Good stuff Sam.

PA41

Well PA41, I'm not sure about the 'quality' of my work, but I use what I got to the max, be it old junk or my limited abilties!

Lately, not much metal fabrication, I've been getting the steering linkage and brake system worked out plus working on getting the motor to run. I do have the body together and temp body mounts on to the point where I can inflate the bags and raise the car back up. Got my other pair of wheel adapters too so soon I'll be runnin on the 48 rims.

A pic of my fab'd up steering column brace - made from a upper rear control arm, a muffler clamp, and some other scraps. I'll have some steering pics up next time.

Attachments

• columnbrace1.jpg
    columnbrace1.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 124
Well, I have my steering system pretty much done - fer now. Went and grabbed a bunch of brake line and plan to plumb the brakes shortly. Waiting on my shifter cable and then I can fab that together.

Stuck a battery on the motor and dumped a bit of gas in 'er. Fired off about 3 revs - nothing went bang - so far, so good there. I think I'll have to trim my cross brace to fit the PS pump in. Hook up the rad and I'll be good for a 20' trip outta the garage maybe?

Attachments

• steering1.jpg
    steering1.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 169
  • steering2.jpg
    steering2.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 166
Looking good Sam!! Can you make a video of the first drive out of the garage? We like pictures, specially if they move and make noise..[cl

That first time you strike some fire is great. It's like you see a little daylight. Gives you that 'smile' inside... That might be what its about?? What would life be if ya never struck fire?

Driving it outta the shop is the next biggie, Like your babies first steps...

Keep after it--"endeavor to persevere".. (Chief Dan George I think)..

PA41

Latest posts

Back