50s Ford F1 Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks good DR! How much longer you think till you can take her around the block?

-Chris

Hoping in a couple weeks... I got the cab off the other night with some help... what a pain in the rear... Anyhow, I might sneak off later tonight for some alone time in the man cave as I need to restore some sanity...

Anyhow I did order some parts for the battery cables, and a crimp tool so that I can make whatever length cables I want for the future, along with a set of step drills so that clean round holes can be made for grommets in the firewall. Picked up some bulkhead connectors that allow power/ground to go through a panel and be isolated from the sheet metal which will help with some of my wiring on the firewall.

Picked up the K&N air filter for the MAF housing I'm using as well...

Jegs rocks, free shipping no matter the order size and no handling fees..

I hear you on the cab DR. And the sanity relief......
I am thinking that in the not to distant future I will be pulling mine to start the frame clean up and painting.
Already trying to figure out pulling mine with out any help as I can never seem to get any when I really need it.
Torchie.

I kinda took a hiatus from the board while I burned more midnight oil...
Things are progressing, lots of cab patch work so it can go back on the frame and stay on the frame. That is supposed to happen tonight. Still have quite a bit to do, but I think I might pull it off and have the truck at the show as long as it is not going to rain that day since I have no side glass. Rear glass is supposed to be in next week.... lots of wiring, and sheet metal work to do yet... The front glass I have to make a template for, as soon as I get the windshield seal, then off to the glass shop and beg them to make it fast...

I did get my pressure line for power steering welded up with the ford end on the toyota line... gotta sort out the reservoir location and the rest of the lines yet, but the pressure line was the big part of it.

I wish I had another month at least to get things done, but I don't, so whatever gets done gets done, and I can do the rest after the first billetproof show.

Wondered when you come up for a breath DR.
Hope you make your deadline for the show.
Torchie.

It will be there I'm sure, just not done done, but I'm not sure they are ever really 100% done are they? Heh...

We did get the cab back on at about 10pm last night after all the finishing of the bottom of the cab and what not... Had to finish the brake pedal assembly, which threw me for a loop. I have had it together and apart about 50 times, but when I used the lok-tite for sleeves the bushing on the driver's side would not go in all the way... that was a pain, after getting it in, the shaft would not go through, so I couldn't set the opposite side's location with the shaft so they were both perfectly inline... so after a few choice words, just decided to lap the bushings a bit and all was good after that... oiled everything, put the spacer on and finish welded the arm on the brake MC side.

Also hooked up the brake booster vac line, the trans vent line, and finish welded the shift actuator arm since that is all under the truck. I can work on it with the cab on from an access panel, but much easier to do it before the cab goes on.

So all in all, it was a good day, its been cool to see some color on the cab (stainless steel matte finish rustoleum) and firewall (flat black). I'll try to get some pics this week once I get more done... going to be a long week of wiring things in just to get it to run and drive, and some brake lights I imagine... (I won't have a title or registration for a bit, but it is in the works, I'll be trailering it down to Neverdone's house anyhow because I will not have time for a whole lot of test drives before the show, and then driving it to the show from there 1/4 mile or so is the distance) Thanks ND :)

If I'm not on the board, you know where I am... burning that midnight oil, cause come hell or high water, this rat is getting on the road. And a big thanks to my wife for putting up with my insanity!!!;);)

It will be there I'm sure, just not done done, but I'm not sure they are ever really 100% done are they? Heh...

(I won't have a title or registration for a bit, but it is in the works, I'll be trailering it down to Neverdone's house anyhow because I will not have time for a whole lot of test drives before the show, and then driving it to the show from there 1/4 mile or so is the distance) Thanks ND :)

No problem buddy!!! Hope ya don't mind if it gets a little dirty.... my house is on a dirt rd and the show is at the other end of it.... or we could take the long way around and it will be about a half mile!! Look forward to seeing this up close! We will be in the show side by side! [cl Not done but proud none the less.....

Kind of funny, 2 years ago is when I met you at this show..... Seen ya at the show last year, this year we will both be there in the show. Told the wife, I need to get some wrench time in in the next couple weeks and to please be understanding!!

EARTH TO DirtyRAT!!! EARTH TO DirtyRAT!!! Come in DirtyRAT!

smiley-gen123.gif

How is it going? Will you be ready?

"If I'm not on the board, you know where I am... burning that midnight oil, cause come hell or high water, this rat is getting on the road. And a big thanks to my wife for putting up with my insanity!!!" [cl

You go Big Dog
It's all in your hands, well be standing by [P [P [P [P

Ok ok ok, some pics for the pic hungry!

Well, it's been a long road, and I'm very close to having it road ready... mostly.

Ok, Tonight I finished up patching the rear quarter panels and filling in the wheel well gaps to make it look MUCH better, and no flares for now, not sure I will flare it. One side I had a patch panel for, the other side was hand made by my father who has been helping out a couple nights a week to try to meet this deadline. I just have the panels solidly tacked in and unless I clone myself they will stay that way for now...

I did start using a panel flanging tool which I wish I would have borrowed when I did the roof and doors, something very very cool for giving the panel more rigidity when welding, less shrink issues when tacking and moving around as well.

Power steering line for the pressure side is done, gotta mount the reservoir and hook up the rest of the lines.

Rear glass is in, front glass template was dropped off at the glass shop today, should have it wednesday or thrusday next week.

I've got the majority of the wiring hooked up, and I have a couple more things to do, and get the battery back in tomorrow, and tie up all the wiring in the cab I'm not using (I need to thin it all out when I have more time to look at all the circuits I don't need).

The column will go back in tomorrow, for now it will just be for steering, ignition and other wiring will wait til later. Working on the cowl vent seal as well, replacement is not formed in the corners, so I'll be trimming that to fit so I can get it back together, mainly to keep water out of the electronics inside the cab behind the dash.

I'm hoping by the end of day tomorrow to have it test fired again, and possibly a short drive to test brakes, and what not... still no brake light switch, so that needs to be addressed before the show, as well as mounting the rear tail light housings, and rear bumpers...

Attachments

• DSC05434.jpg
    DSC05434.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 56
  • DSC05435.jpg
    DSC05435.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC05436.jpg
    DSC05436.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 54
  • DSC05437.jpg
    DSC05437.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 54
  • DSC05438.jpg
    DSC05438.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 51
  • DSC05439.jpg
    DSC05439.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 52
  • DSC05440.jpg
    DSC05440.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 47
Sounds like what I did to make my local show. Engine was wired, hooked up a pair of brake lights, the power windows, and nothing else. Ran the car off of a two gallon gas jug. Just the essentials! I've got to get back on mine, still a lot to do.

Keep at it, you'll make it! [cl

Thanks guys! Gonna be a long day today getting things wrapped up, wiring, tightening, checking and marking all the suspension bolts, finishing up the power steering, and I hope like hell I get the taillights and bumpers installed, but I don't know if I have enough steel at home, that might have to wait till early in the week.

I'm really hoping for a test drive later today even if its just on my street....

Latest posts

Back