Well I guess it's started

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Torch, got ya. no acounting for some peoples idea of cool [S
[P
Old Iron, clecos are cool, used to use them when i repaired aircraft but the gov. bought them then.
Be Safe

What a chour

I sure hope this turns out [S

Attachments

• spr 0087.jpg
    spr 0087.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 105
Is it just me

Picked up a 70 roof for the project, my gmc was filled with lead on the cornors and the chevy was filled with bondo [S
Make head way with the side pieces yesterday with daughters help.
Stay tuned[P

Attachments

• spr 0091.jpg
    spr 0091.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 87
  • spr 0093.jpg
    spr 0093.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 96
A little update. Have'nt gotten much done, now that i'm retired i don't have any time [S
All four cornors are on and the gaps are filled. Looking for a roof big enough and the right shape to fill the hole [S
spr0102.jpg
spr0104.jpg

spr0104.jpg

All good ideas

But, I'm going a way i've done before. Picked up a donor top, 70 skylark, i'll use a lot of the skin here and more on the bed. This is about where it will set. i ordered a new flange tool, punmatic my old one was a hand job[Si'm getting to old for that. i'll flange the car part and set the new piece in and weld the seam inside and out[S
i'm thinking it will keep the roof curve pretty close and yes it does add about 3/4" to the hieght.
So far so good??[;)

Attachments

• spr 0117.jpg
    spr 0117.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 94
  • spr 0120.jpg
    spr 0120.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 94
  • spr 0124.jpg
    spr 0124.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 95
Have you done that procedure before on a roof? Just curious. Seems to me welding a big panel like that, of that gauge, inside and out, is asking for a lot of chances for warpage. What I'm saying is, if I tried that it would look like a Hot Wheels stunt track when I was done. :rolleyes:

If I ever do one again....I'll do the same thing....

I found that welding at the curved ends of the roof, sides, front and back, the metal did not distort at all....it was while welding the fillers in the middle where i ran into all the distortion....If I did it again, I'd do exactly what soltz is doing.....at least on later model stuff.....JMHO...live and learn....:D

Good advise all around

Sam, yes on a 56 F100, turned out not to bad [S The key is slow and steady, let it cool or cold compress to shrink it back in shape. Also the flanging should help by giving it a stiff line to follow. I'll keep a photo record as i go [;)

Thanks sgt it's good to get positive feed back and yes the filler pieces were a bitch :mad:

The 56 finished with my beautiful bride[cl

can't seem to get the picture to load[S I'll try a seperate post:cool:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back