1936 Packard

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Snake Farm;396586There are going to be so many things about this car that most folks will think are stock pieces.....even the old timers that consider themselves "Packard Guys" will scratch their heads on a few things I bet. :cool: [P[P[P[/QUOTE said:
That would be the best kind of compliment....

Got the passenger side inner fender bashed out today, much easier making the second one, having a pattern already and applying lessons learned on the other side.

Attachments

• DSC00255.jpg
    DSC00255.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 107
  • DSC00253.jpg
    DSC00253.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 108
  • DSC00254.jpg
    DSC00254.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 99
Also, did you make the louvers before you cut the inner fender shape or after?

I made them after it was cut to shape.

How about showing us the technique for making those louvers?

You guys would laugh like crazy if you saw the barbaric way I made those louvers :eek:
Tools: zip blade on a right angle grinder to cut the edge of each louver
2' length of 1x1" tubing
2 6" C clamps
Ball peen hammer
Chunk of 4x4" wood with a notch in one end.
I clamped the 1x1" tubing 1" back from the first louver, set it on the floor held the chunk of 4x4' to the edge and beat back and forth till it looked deep enough. Moved the 1x1 up against the edge of the first one and repeated till all were roughed out. When they were all bent out the panel looked like a pretzel!!
A bunch of hammer and dolly work to the edges of the panel and some tweaking to the louvers - patience is the key ingredient and trying not to get discouraged if it gets a little sideways - I just keep on till it looks right to me...:)

Hardly Barbaric at all ZZ.
The best metal shaper I ever saw used a stump with a cup shaped hollow in the top of it.:eek: It was his go to tool.
That cat could knock some tin.
Looking great.
Torchie.

It takes more talent, skill,innovation, determination, and patience to do it without the fancy high priced tools, and it is a special person that can do it that way. great work as always.

Spent a couple days rolling around on a creeper, putting the exhaust together. At this point, the tailpipes are just tacked together, hard to spot them but there are stainless bullet type glasspacks hiding in between the X member rails. I used up 5 - 2 1/2" u-bends plus a couple feet of straight 2 1/2" pipe on the system, plus some zooty stainless tips to poke out the rear.

Attachments

• DSC00277.jpg
    DSC00277.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 114
  • DSC00280.jpg
    DSC00280.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 110
  • DSC00281.jpg
    DSC00281.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 106
  • DSC00282.jpg
    DSC00282.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 109
  • DSC00283.jpg
    DSC00283.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 120
They should just squeak in at the scrub line, that's why I didn't go straight out the back - this car is going to need to pass a safety inspection before it gets registered so I have to walk the straight and narrow....:rolleyes:

where did you get those tips... they are straight up gorgeous![dr

Ever since I radiused the front wheelwells for tire clearance, it's been bugging me that the rear fenders don't match, especially since the rear tires are taller. So I raised the blade and made the change...[;)
Opened them up 1", made the new edge from 3/4" tubing split and shaped to the opening. This actually makes for a better edge since there had been several repairs to dents and old cracks - bonus is that it's much easier to get tires on and off now..:)
First pic is the before shot.

Attachments

• DSC02160.jpg
    DSC02160.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 100
  • DSC00286.jpg
    DSC00286.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 96
  • DSC00287.jpg
    DSC00287.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 98

Latest posts