51 dodge pilothouse

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cookiejar

Hello from Canada . I am starting my first build ever with my 13 year old son. I have had the 51 since high school and just dragged it out of the bush. Along with that I had a desoto next to it in the bush so it is getting a 276 hemi in it on a dakota frame. The motor is at the machine shop and should be ready to assemble in about a week. Here are some pics of the donor car and the truck in the bush and then the cab and front end on the new frame.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 55
Sorry for multi posts can only get 1 pic at a time to load

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 42
pics are good

father/son build on a pilothouse touch's my heart. enjoy it, the time doing this with him is precious.

please keep the pics and info coming.

pilothouse's are cool[cl

l love mine more than any rod l have ever owned.

Later :cool:

Thanks and I well but hope this works having trouble putting pics on trying the motor again

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 43
Welcome from New Mexico, USA.
Good starting point and I like the hemi idea.
Be careful when handling the growth on the dash, it may contain something contagious.

One of my first Hot Rods was a 55 Dodge P/U with a 276 Hemi I pulled out of a 55 Royal Lancer............

Well latest update still waiting for my heads and crank to come back from the machine shop so till then not much happening.

Ok I am back and a little progress . I now have my short block put together on my desoto hemi.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 35
Hey progress is slow as we insulated garage this weekend so it should be warmer to work in now. I have a question , does anyone know what a decent carb would be that I can salvage off of something that we'll fit my desoto hemi and work well ?

Well I have now done a little again . I heard that a water pump for a 383 mopar was a close fit for the desoto hemi so I bought one and yes it is close . I took my timing chain cover water pump housing to a buddy with a milling machine and just had him open up the water pump opening by about .100" and just clean up the housing as the impeller scrubbed a bit. Then I just had to slot the holes in the pump slightly to match the housing bolt pattern. Pics to follow later.

Here r the pics the pick shows were we cleaned up because of scrubbing by the impeller

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 29

Latest posts

Back