1956 F100 Angry Bird

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The last thing before start-up was to button up all the loose vacuum connections. Just drag out the chart and start the buttoning. Except vacuum systems were all new to me, and as I was to learn, quite critical in terms of where they go in relation to the super charger tubes. Oh, and dont forget the check valves and which direction they are intended to "check".

John L.

Attachments

• 9350VacuumDiagram1of2.jpg
    9350VacuumDiagram1of2.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 41
  • Center Vac Distribution tree.jpg
    Center Vac Distribution tree.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 39
  • LH firewall Vac ftgs.jpg
    LH firewall Vac ftgs.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Just a quick question, I remembered reading you did the head gaskets and I just wanted to make sure you replaced the head bolts. On these motors the bolts stretch when you torque them and can only be used once. Just trying to make sure it last awhile with all the work you're putting in lol. Keep it coming.

Yeah, thanks JBailey, I did change them out. But even the Super Coupe forum had arguments about whether it was really necessary. Probably because of the expense. As I recall, some folks had 30K miles on used ones. They should have the basis, because I think every Super Coupe V6 had or will have the head gasket issue. Of course, with that big of a sample, you're going to have a number of people do it without knowing better. And you won't hear about the failures...

John L.

So I am at the point of start-up, and I can't find any blasted pics of the setup I used. All of a sudden my pics start at another tear down!!

I do have a short video clip of a pre-start walk around. Is there a way to post that, or does anyone know how to grab an image clip or two from the vid?

Otherwise, I'll just yak some more to fill the blank with word pictures, and you don't want that...

So I am at the point of start-up, and I can't find any blasted pics of the setup I used. All of a sudden my pics start at another tear down!!

I do have a short video clip of a pre-start walk around. Is there a way to post that, or does anyone know how to grab an image clip or two from the vid?

Otherwise, I'll just yak some more to fill the blank with word pictures, and you don't want that...

Upload the video to photobucket or youtube then image link it here.

Thanks snopro - I have albums in photobucket, but it has been so long since I accessed them, that they have changed the organization and settings. I copied links before, but not specific images. This link looks more complex than I recall, but maybe when I post it, the link will simplify itself. If not, please coach me on how to make it work.

BTW - I really like the way the forum's image system works, and the fact that most people use it as the primary posting tool. Also like the fact that posters don't include the pics in their quoting, or responses. "The other forum" gets really weird that way, with multiple postings of the same images throughout a single thread.

So here is what you will hopefully see. It is just a walk around, without sound (maybe a little shop rock n roll can be heard), showing the truck good for start up. The wire looms shortcut around fenders, the T-bird exhaust is on blocks, the T-bird gas tank lays next to the frame.

Sorry, I didn't record the actual start and runnning, but guess what? IT STARTED WITHOUT ISSUES!!! UN-FRICKIN-BELEIVEABLE!!!

You couldn't wipe the smile off my face then, and afterward, each time I got behind the wheel and it would reliably start every time.

Okay, now I can get on to the dress-up stage and getting it ready for a maiden voyage.

John L

I like the T'bird emblem in the grill, nice touch. Everything looks like it belongs, can't wait to see a video of it running!

Yeah, I kind of obsessed on that emblem, huh? Only to change it later, to a vintage 1958 emblem. I am going to enlarge it with a background plaque to be the same size as the original V8 emblem.

I put the more modern emblem at the top of the firewall at my wife's suggestion.

Attachments

• 1959 T-bird emblem on 1956 F100.jpg
    1959 T-bird emblem on 1956 F100.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 37
  • T-bird on firewall.jpg
    T-bird on firewall.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 38
So, I was moving on to the next stage when I found the start-up layout in my air bag file. It is a still shot of what I show on the video clip. But, in all this effort, I learned how to post a video, so all is cool.

John L.

Attachments

• Dressed for start-up.jpg
    Dressed for start-up.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 33
So it was on to air bags from there. There were formula's and plenty of experience for cutting the springs, but warnings too. Mainly about how hit and miss it might be to get the ride height and comfort level I wanted. Besides, I hadn't done air bags before and they intrigued me!

Again, there was plenty of experience out there to draw from for size and procedure. Slam Specialties seemed to be one of the preferred bags, and had the right sizes. 5" for the front (actual 5.5") and 6" for the rear. The Team321 mounting kit I had used for adapting the T-bird IRS to the F100 frame was ready made for bags or springs as can be seen in the pics. It was virtually effortless. The Jag too, was an easy conversion. Patch in the bottom spring plates, remove the top spring cup, position the air bag with the Jag center hole and plumb from the top.

I used individual valves at each corner as a temporary approach, but would eventually put together an air ride system with tank and compressor.

Attachments

• Lo-Rider.jpg
    Lo-Rider.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 34
  • Front air bag install, wheel spacer & adapter.jpg
    Front air bag install, wheel spacer & adapter.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 36
  • Spring cup removed, stock center hole can be used for air inlet.jpg
    Spring cup removed, stock center hole can be used for air inlet.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 36
  • Jag lower plate - patch in holes.jpg
    Jag lower plate - patch in holes.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 38
  • Rear air bag install  SS-6.jpg
    Rear air bag install SS-6.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 35
Next I was able to fit the front and rear shocks. I didn't especially like the various Jag front mounts I found online, most seemingly top heavy in appearance. I came up with a simple reinforced angle using a cantilevered bolt on top. Lower stock Jag mount was used.

The rear were more straightforward with simple ear type tabs.

Attachments

• Front shock mounts.jpg
    Front shock mounts.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 44
  • Rear shock mounts.jpg
    Rear shock mounts.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 45
Instead of dragging the T-bird gas tank along in a side car, I used a plastic tank that had come with the truck. I have no idea what it came out of, but it fit perfectly between the frame rails. It also easily allowed temporary adaptation of the T-bird FI and fuel pump assembly, with wiring, although the length of tube would only allow use of the top 8 gallons or so. That was okay for now, as it was only for the summer run and would be part of the long list of upgrades that would come in the off season.

Fuel lines ran along the inside of the frame rail as shown, including original T-bird inline fuel filter.

I only had to shorten the drive line about 1/2", that was how close to original total drive train length was able to be maintained.

The stock T-bird exhaust routing was used, but temporary at best. (Rather loose in interpretation there.) It included the catalytic converters, mid-resonator and rear mufflers.

Attachments

• Fuel lines, drive line, temp exhaust.jpg
    Fuel lines, drive line, temp exhaust.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 35
  • T-bird IRS, driveline, exhaust.jpg
    T-bird IRS, driveline, exhaust.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Finally, by continually checking engine start-up with every new wire pulled, I started snipping wires. I was not sure if the system was so integrated that it would cause failure if I pulled the wrong wire(s).

You may have seen in an earlier pic that I plugged in the T-bird gauge pod to ensure that I had total continuity from the original system. It also gave me check engine lights and warning chimes galore.

But my first round of snipping produced quite a significant amount of pruning, without interfering with performance.

Attachments

• 4 extra wiring.jpg
    4 extra wiring.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 45
W0W!!

that is quite a pile of ''spaghetti'':eek:

l like that you have the patience for all that wiring. l know l sure don't, even with easy wire pre-assembled kits it gets on my nerves.

Later:cool:

Yes, yes! pruning of the overly wired car harness!
I will be in that boat very soon, ridding the harness of unnecessary circuits!

I like this build, it is something that should turn out to handle very well and be a pretty good sleeper as far as people not realizing all that has been done!

Circuit ridder. I like that!

I must admit that facing the wiring was the most intimidating part for me. I had been through many of the other exercises before, to some degree, and I had dealt with the evil demons of Lucas with my MG's. (Lucas can put more problems in much fewer wires!) That was why I was so intent on having all the connections made as they existed in the donor car, so I could keep track of what was coming out. I got myself the T-bird EVTM, which really helped me to start understanding all the sub-systems. I just wish I could have found a colored diagram.

Now having been through the ordeal, I am very familiar with the remaining wires and circuits. That was a good outcome from that mess!

John L.

Next was to figure out the minimum for the interior. I had built heavy gauge sheet metal channels to support the seat rails. The electrics worked great, but the mini compressor for the lumbar support and side bolsters made noise but nothing happened. May be a disconnected tubing joint inside.

I secured the gauge pod in the stock F100 dash hump, and may be able to mold it in with a little creative cutting. The dash is trash anyway. I was able to use a radio cut-out for the liquid level indicator module (oil, gas, coolant). More lights and buzzers. It's funny that these things annoy people on a new car, but put them in an old truck and it seems so out of place that in amazes instead.

Revised the steering knuckle, finding a U-joint with the Jag spline on one side and the Ford double D on the other. This helped clear my makeshift exhaust pipe and would provide adequate clearance when I got to the permanent exhaust system.

Getting close to the first road test...

Attachments

• T-bird SC interior.jpg
    T-bird SC interior.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 38
  • Tbird wheel and gauge pod.jpg
    Tbird wheel and gauge pod.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 36
  • DD to Jag spline u-jt.jpg
    DD to Jag spline u-jt.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 36
So there were some odds and ends that I must have skipped in taking pics, but close enough to say "let's hit the road!" First drive I promised a buddy he would be called over and I'm glad he came along. He helped keep the passenger door closed and he also helped pick up the exhaust after the first major bump! I knew this was a shake down cruise, but I was not used to driving a lo-rider and must have scraped them off on the rural road we live on. Oh well, it didn't sound too bad with just the resonator.

But most importantly, it got up and went and it stopped on a dime. A permanent exhaust solution moved up the priority list. But overall a satisfying moment and the start of a fun spring and summer (2013), with more upgrading to come during this "mock-up" stage.

John L.

Attachments

• First test drive after start-up.jpg
    First test drive after start-up.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back