The 69 Fairlane from Hell!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacksheep

Ok, so I guess I will start a build thread on my latest project. Not a typical rat rod, but more of a traditional hot rod ,tire burnin, beast. It started out as a stock Fairlane 500 Fastback with a tired old 351W in it. I have since installed a 429 transplant out of a 72 torino. The motor has straight up timing gear, fresh C8 headset, ported , Edlebrock performer intake, and Holley 750 carb. All chrome was stripped from the car, and I plan on making it very simple . I am going more towards a stock car look, but without the fattys all the way around. Steel wheels from a cop car, so it's pretty plain . I removed the two inner headlights and am working on a cold air system using a dual snorkel (home made) air cleaner. The rear will have a welded spoiler molded into the trunk and rear fenders. I cut the center raised part from the hood to allow room for intake, carb and air cleaner. It will look similar to a Ram air hood on 70 Chevelles. Having some issues with the motor , but hope to get them ironed out in the next few days. Will try to post photos as I go along.

The bumpers will be painted red , same as the car. Hood will be black. Any lettering will be done by airbrush. Trying to use NASCAR type lettering for Fairlane 500 ,and other lettering on the car.

Thanks guys. The guy who owned it before me had it jacked up in the rear and really chiney billet wheels. Looked good, but just not my style. Gonna be trying to finish the hood is weekend , mainly because it is suppose to rain all weekend here.

I like the rim choice. I suggest wire mesh headlight covers over the intake holes - and over the headlights maybe too.

I like the rim choice. I suggest wire mesh headlight covers over the intake holes - and over the headlights maybe too.

Yep, that is in the plans too. I hit a stumbling block , and started a thread on it in the engine building forum here. I may be pulling the motor for an overhaul, unless I figure out how else I'm getting oil in the combustion chamber. Oh well.

Well, I've decided to just go on with body work , and put off pulling the motor until the Fall. I think I may just have had a stuck ring on one cylinder, but still not sure. I will finish up the Ram air hood scoop this weekend, and take photos. I have had problems loading photos. Mainly because with an IPad, you have to hold it with the lens up . That way the photos don't load upside down. I didn't realize that because my IPad automatically rotates to whatever position I have it in. Anyway, I will get some good photos of what I have done with the suspension ,and motor.

Ok, so it's decided. I'm going Tuesday to pick up a fresh rebuilt 460,with POlice grind cam shaved heads , and lots of goodies. This motor has not even seen paint yet,still wrapped in shrink wrap. It also comes with new Edelbrock performer intake, new Edlebrock 750 cfm carb, harmonic balancer, pulleys, alternator,power steering pump ,gasket set to seal up everything, trick flow valve covers, spark plug wires, new oil pan, C6 tranny, and some other bolt on stuff. All new parts. Can't wait to get my old motor out ,so I can starter prepping this one for the install. I will keep you guys informed.

Well, I'm finally going to pick up my new motor . My wife took my daughter to Washington State to start a Summer job for the Forestry service there. She is leaving her car ,so my daughter will have something to drive while up there, and flying back. I just found out on Sunday that she was flying into Jacksonville, FL , instead of the Savannah airport. Now I can go and get my motor , then pick her up at the airport in Jacksonville. I have a guy coming tonight to look at the 429 in the car right now. I'll post photos once I get the beast unwrapped. Haha

Got the motor and parts !

Well, I got back last night from picking up my new motor and tranny along with all related parts.im stoked image.jpg

Latest posts

Back