The 69 Fairlane from Hell!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And more image.jpg

Ok, so I have just a few more bolts to go,to get the motor out of the car. Just pulling the motor this time,and leaving the tranny in. I was thinking about what color to paint my new power plant, then it hit me. Lime green is the way to go! I should have the motor out completely tonight, and will start tomorrow changing the oil pick up and pan . Taking the motor out will give me the opportunity to message the fire wall a bit . It is only about 1/4" away from the bell housing on the tranny now.

Ok,so it's been a while since last post. When I get home today, I plan on starting to buckle up the new 460 . Had to order a new oil pump to use with my front sump pan, and I should have the motor back together and sealed up by this evening. Gonna paint the motor lime green. Why? Because old Ford blue is just boring. Should have some photos of it painted by tomorrow.m

Ok, getting closer to starting the new motor. Got some things done with it today. Just got in from camping around 10 this morning, and was able to get a lot of stuff on the new motor.
image.jpg

Ok ,last night I tried to fire up the beast on my shop floor. Everything went wrong. First off ,I guess I had it 180* out! because it back fired the second try. When I realized what the deal was , I rolled the motor over ,pulled the distributor, and set it at TDC . Only this time on the compression stroke. It fired and ran for 5 seconds. I looked down and saw a river of oil rolling under the oil pan. I immediately shut it down, to investigate. The oil filter separated at the seam , and blew off on the floor. I now have about 2 1/2 quarts of oil in the crank case. It took about 2 seconds to blow that much oil out. Dangit! Not sure if I had a defective oil filter , but it crowned the filter right around the seal. Almost like too much oil pressure. I primed the oil pump after installing it, and didn't encounter any issues with that. With a hand drill , I had about 35psi. I made sure that I had oil to all of the rockers. Gonna take that oil filter back to the parts house and load up on Lucas additive, and more oil. Dangit, I hope I don't have issues with it again tonight.

Well guys, I ran the 460 last night for quite a while. Varying RPM's from 2000-,then up to 2800, and everywhere in between. You could set a cup of coffee on the air cleaner it ran so smooth. We shut her down, and drained the oil immediately. Oil was crystal clear. Ok, maybe a little brownish. Cam is officially broken in , and the motor and tranny are ready for install. I have to cut a small section from my firewall because the tranny is about 1/16" from hitting it.

Latest posts

Back