Guess I got the bug....

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HandOverFist

Picked up this '47 Chevy over the weekend...now the fun begins.

rat%20truck_zpsomu6o3rl.jpg

Built on a '87 Chevy 3500 chassis
'89 Cummins diesel/automatic
leafs/air bags on the rear

I would like to remove the existing bed and fabricate some type of flat bed w/6" rails so I could actually haul something.

Thanks guys - I made the decision this morning the front fenders/facia/running boards are absolutely coming off. I want to be able to get down a gravel drive without plowing lol. I'll fab up some type front bumper when I tackle the bed. Lots of stuff on this old beast to change/rearrange hehe.

Thanks guys - I made the decision this morning the front fenders/facia/running boards are absolutely coming off. I want to be able to get down a gravel drive without plowing lol. I'll fab up some type front bumper when I tackle the bed. Lots of stuff on this old beast to change/rearrange hehe.

is it that low on a fixed suspension? not on air or anything?

After further looking.. i see that it is a severe channel job, doesnt look like a lot of leg room in the cab

is it that low on a fixed suspension? not on air or anything?

After further looking.. i see that it is a severe channel job, doesnt look like a lot of leg room in the cab

Yeah, it has bags on the rear axle along with leafs, but there is very little air in them. The front has drop spindles and cut springs.

Yes, it is a little cramped inside...I'll be doing a renovation in there as well, probably during the winter months. Btw, this vehicle came from your neck of the woods.

Had a thought this afternoon about those spike lug nuts up front. They don't really mesh with my personality anyway...was thinking maybe I can use them for the bed rail supports when I build the flat bed. Already had to swap out the rear lug nuts as they were incorrect for use on Alcoa wheels.

Last edited:
I just determined today the truck only has a 8 gallon fuel cell. Any ideas on mpg with this Cummins engine? I don't have a odometer or tach as of yet.

My 12 valve got 24 mpg in a 95 one ton dually
8 gallon at that point wouldn't concern me at all.

192 mile range if it gets that mileage. That would make it pretty annoying in the kind of usage I expect from my cars. It all depends on what you expect from the vehicle I guess. With all that channel maybe 192 mile range is more than enough, though.

That's good to hear guys. I really need to swap out the 4.11's quickly...turning all that rpm trying to keep up with highway traffic for extended periods has me a little concerned.

Latest posts

Back