Fe oil woes

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I talked to one of the old boys in town who is The Machinist and regularly builds these 428. He said there is no filter bypass in the 428 only the 427 side Oiler. He said Galley plug

This may sound dumb but hear goes. A friend had a backhoe with a diesel engine. I lost oil pressure and oil and antifreeze mixed. It had some how rusted between an oil passage and water jacket. check your antifreeze in the radiator. I hope it isn't the problem. and it is just a galley plug. If it is a galley, plug can you drill and tap it for a tapered pipe plug?

Sure hope they are not produced by Fram...

Fram's cheap budget filters were the issue... OK for an OEM daily driver, not so good for a hot rod with higher demands... at any rate, for a few dollars more, Fram offers higher grade filters with the protection we seek. I'm not hanging a shingle for Fram, but you get what you pay for, pure and simple. (Who, in their right mind, puts a cheap filter on an expensive engine?)

I'm guessing it fell out after we started running the engine. They're just a soft plug that pushes into the block if one of the holes was deformed or something it could have been loose and popped out

A drop of Loctite Red would secure the soft plugs forever. On the positive, 25 lbs is better than nothing (Read: bearing damage) and given everything discussed so far, I believe you're on the right track.

Staying tuned to hear your findings and results...

Thanks gents!! I talked to a ford engine builder that live in state. He said the same thing, soft plug came loose. I'll let ya know in the am!!!!!

All the rest of them are in the intake Valley and solid. I've got my drill hooked up to it as we speak so I'm going to test it out and see if I can find out where it's going

I'm a Chevy guy, grasping at straws...

Why a high volume oil pump? Is the 428 highly modified? Are you using a stock oil pan? Front sump?

Could be, the high volume pump is starving for oil and can't draw enough to make any more pressure. Try tossing a couple more quarts in the pan... if your numbers improve, you found the problem....

I'm a Chevy guy, grasping at straws...

Why a high volume oil pump? Is the 428 highly modified? Are you using a stock oil pan? Front sump?

Could be, the high volume pump is starving for oil and can't draw enough to make any more pressure. Try tossing a couple more quarts in the pan... if your numbers improve, you found the problem....

7 quart rear canton rear sump pan. 428 puts down around 500 go. Aluminum heads, flat top pistons, decent cam.

Got some thoughts. Will the following make a difference [S
-regular volume pump. Could pump be the issue as Doc mentioned
-replace multi viscosity oil, would a 30 weight build pressure
-could remote line be defective, unlikely
-stock Ford filter

How many hours has this engine run at full pressure?

I had a standard volume oil pump in it it only had 15 pounds at that point. I change the viscosity of the oil a couple times does not change a thing. I'm almost leaning towards yes it is an oil filter problem. No the stock filter will not fit in it in its normal location. I set the motor down a little farther in the truck so I could not have to modify the floor as much for this new transmission. Also with the Mustang 2 the crossmember is right there. It did not come with a filter or with any real instruction on what the hell needed to be done. So I'm almost not too sure I don't have the wrong filter on it

Bman might be on to something. Does the filter relocation stuff have a ball check valve?

You guys bring up a good point. On the 235 in my 62, the block didn't have a filter boss. So it had a remote filter on it, there was a restrictor in the one like to keep the filter from completely filling the filter and starving the engine of oil. Could it be something similar in this case, not enough restriction in the oil filter line?

If the pump pickup is too close or too far away from the bottom of the pan it'll act this way.
1/4" from the bottom of the pan is ideal.
If you used silicone, check the screen on the oil pump pickup.

Oil filter relocation was labeled wrong!!!!!

Attachments

• 0601191542a_HDR.jpg
    0601191542a_HDR.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 25

Latest posts

Back