1950 GMC build after 31 year slumber

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any guesses to whether or not they will work? I did get the column wired, the engine to the point of cranking and the fuel pump coming on, just got my heat / A/C unit today along with the rubbers, stripped the doors (found the drivers side is missing the window channel tracks [S), made a battery try to mount it on the firewall and went away for the weekend! Phew!

I'm building a 48 GMC so, I went back through your posts to see what speedo you are using.
Couldn't find it. Would you mind telling me [P Thanks :)

I'm building a 48 GMC so, I went back through your posts to see what speedo you are using.
Couldn't find it. Would you mind telling me [P Thanks :)

These are the stock 1950 gauge housings with all of the internals from a 1993 chevy truck cluster. the 93 cluster was cut apart and the individual gauges modified to fit in the stock housings. Not sure if they are going to work yet due to them not being tested yet.

SO i worked on the gauges this week end. I did a thread in the dash section on how I did the swap. Basically gutted the stock 1950 GMC gauges and swapped in all the guts from a 1994 Chevy truck cluster. Here is what I started with and what I ended with.
1359305513.jpg

1359305523.jpg

1359307389.jpg

1359316778.jpg

here is the gauges again. seems a bunch of people are asking about them. And they are as of yet untested.

jfg....doing about the same thing with the Thing....

took the original cluster out and gutted it...then did a diamond plate face and put in the 49 buick speedo and the other gauges...Nice how you got that cleaned up so well... cool beans!

Hi jfg. I also did similar gauge work, by gutting some old '36 gauge housings and then robbing some of my donor Ranger gauges and mounting them in the old housings. Of course, this is all idle bragging yet, as I have not test driven them.
Keep on tinkering.

And I got the drivers side latch pin all mounted. The passengers side door latch is done as well and the pin tached. I hope to have the nose on it this weekend and be ready to move under it's own power again!

And today I got the radiator and condenser mounted. I made up some mounts for a pair of cooling fans from an 04 chevy implala. One runs normal and the other in reverse for a pusher.

And today I got the radiator and condenser mounted. I made up some mounts for a pair of cooling fans from an 04 chevy implala. One runs normal and the other in reverse for a pusher.

Is your A/C stuff a store bought kit? or stuff you scrounged?

FLIPPER I bought a Vintage Air kit made for 47-54 AD trucks. I am not sold on the "direct fit" being the case as advetised. I understand some things might be off a little due to the fact I have modified the truck but it is the little things I look for in quality. Like if I used the screws provided to mount the condensor to the mounts they would have pirced the condensor end tanks. The lines are supposed to be up near the top mount bracket where there is a space to run them through but they are 5" too low (checked every which way of mounting it), the hard lines didn't fit the HVAC box and had to be rebent, the mounts brackets for the HVAC box were not even close and had to be remade and the whole unit looks like cheap chinease plastic parts everywhere etc.

I expected the cheap knock off Champion radiator to not fit well because, well, it was cheap! Other than me wanting to move the upper inlet over (due to interfering with the air boot on the LS motor. would have worked fine with a SBC) and the top 2 holes being off by 1/2" it went right in.

So after much fretting and sleepless nights I have come to the conclusion that I will not get the truck road ready in the 7 days off I have before we leave for Bonneville this year. Unfortunately I have had to take in side work to pay the bills and fund the vacation in the first place. Compound that with every part that goes on means modifying 5 others to make it right. When you get to the point of cutting corners just to try to get it done it is time to put your tools down and walk away.

So it looks like the wife had picked a convertible rental car for the trip that gets 27mpg. On a good note I spent the day on the customers 59 Ford pick up motor swap and got it fired up today. Should have it mostly done by the end of next week.

So after much fretting and sleepless nights I have come to the conclusion that I will not get the truck road ready in the 7 days off I have before we leave for Bonneville this year. Unfortunately I have had to take in side work to pay the bills and fund the vacation in the first place. Compound that with every part that goes on means modifying 5 others to make it right. When you get to the point of cutting corners just to try to get it done it is time to put your tools down and walk away.

So it looks like the wife had picked a convertible rental car for the trip that gets 27mpg. On a good note I spent the day on the customers 59 Ford pick up motor swap and got it fired up today. Should have it mostly done by the end of next week.

I wish I was going to Bonneville this year! That was the coolest thing I've ever done (stopped by Boneheads shop and went to Moab on the trip home).

So after not touching the truck for 6 months I finally drug myself back over to it and knocked out some things. I cut off and moved the upper radiator inlet over the the drivers side of the radiator. I sent the A/C lines to be crimped and got them back. I have figured out how I am going to fit the air inlet in there and got the mandrel bend to start the project. I also put all the radiator and A/C condensor back into the rad support. Now if I can just finish the wifes walk in closet, knock the 2 week back log of shop work out (been sick for 2 weeks!) and keep the fires stoked I should be able to get back on track for a spring time drive date. That should keep me on track to get back on the Datsun build...[P

I have the nose half way back on. Seems it is fighting me as far as the bolt holes lining up. It is loosely bolted to the core support but I think I need to loosen the cab mount bolts so I can join it all together. Probably have to drop the running boards off too as they seem to hit the fenders. I have a good chunk of time off the next couple of days due to shift change so I'm hoping to get the bed on as well.

Latest posts

Back