My Model A RPU project

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looks great, about the hubs, if you can get some bushings machine,you would be able to use some other hubs.I am using bushings to put buick hubs with the aluminum finned drums right on the ford spindles.

looks great, about the hubs, if you can get some bushings machine,you would be able to use some other hubs.I am using bushings to put buick hubs with the aluminum finned drums right on the ford spindles.

I've been snooping about a couple of auto surplus shops here, seeing what could be made to fit. Finding something I could simply machine out up a bit to fit the A bearings would be lucky.

tie rod

I noticed your tie rod is very close to the top of frame, now if your front axle tilts up on one side , and it will , when your on an uneven incline, the tie rod will bind on frame , that was a problem I ran into when I mounted my axle the first time. so I had to redo mine ...lovin the build...keep at her..[dr[dr

I noticed your tie rod is very close to the top of frame, now if your front axle tilts up on one side , and it will , when your on an uneven incline, the tie rod will bind on frame , that was a problem I ran into when I mounted my axle the first time. so I had to redo mine ...lovin the build...keep at her..[dr[dr

Plans are to have the shockers set to limit the downward extremes of the axle movement, so it should never be able to touch the frame. Best laid plans of mice and men....

I should be home in a week or so, time to get more done on the project. :D

Still need to get some hubs sorted.

I decided to use all the old Model A joints for the steering, no idea what they are called, so I had to bend a few levers and extend the drag link, make a pitman arm etc.

I needed the Model A bottom ball and the Corvair top spline , so some cutting and grinding and welding was required, then some bending to line it all up. I ground it all smooth and checked the welds, then cut and welded a plate that follows the rear of the arm, top to bottom, welded fully around, strong and discrete. The bits in the background are the redundant ends. I forgot to take pics of the finished item, but it should be good 'n strong.

d495997d.jpg

Bit of heat to coax it into shape.

8eaf6e76.jpg

Steering arms needed raising a touch to clear things. Mr gas Axe assisted most ably here. :)

94d3bb69.jpg

a9cf32a2.jpg

Bit crowded in here, but it all clears. That welding on the drag link looks awful in photos, but not too bad in the flesh. :? I keyhole welded the extension tubes on in a couple of places, as the drag link was solid 5/8 bar and I used seamless 'pressure tube' to stretch it.

All the bolts holding the dampers etc are just temporary mock-up stuff, as are the wheel 'studs'.

29eed16f.jpg

Some details of the front end:

I found an 'auto surplus' yard locally that let me dig around and I dragged away a pair of complete front of hubs of something apparently called an L300, some sort of Mitsibishi people carrier.

I made up a caliper bracket, got the caliper hung, but I still need a couple of adaptor sleeves making to sort the bearings out. I made the mistake of buying bearings to fit the spindle before I bought the hubs, as I originally intended to make the hubs to suit, as I (thought) I had suitable Corolla discs and calipers, but it turned out they were not a matching pair. I got ripped off....

Oddly enough, the hubs have Ford stud pattern, but strangely I have Chevy pattern wheels for the front, and Ford for the rear end. I might just swap them for something that fits straight on, Ford all round, save more engineering.

7f8eab52.jpg

The top extra area is for when I mount some cycle fenders and will be cut and shut to suit. Gotta think ahead. :D

c5a7ef39.jpg

76c28b2f.jpg

The whole plot fits quite deeply into the wheel, and I'll make some sort of ally old-timey vented cover for it one day, maybe...

ce42ac5b.jpg

Just lashed into place with some washers and spacers, to set disc clearance.

d671552b.jpg

a1813976.jpg

Nice work. I like the use of old parts rather than everything being aftermarket. Am a bit irritated about your weather though. It ain't fair.
Is there a group of hot rodders where you are?

It’s looking great; you’ve done an awesome job! [dr

That’s going to really blow some minds when it starts roaming the streets. :D

Todays project was brakes. :D

I have no idea what the MC is off, but it started out with a big booster diaphragm thing on. That is now in the scrap bin, no faggy powered brakes on this bad boy hot rod. [ddev

0c77344d.jpg

1943ecc6.jpg

Then a lever, gas axed from a chunk of 10mm steel plate. I did this ten o'clock last night, out in the street, with the steel G clamped to the garden gate, as my 'shop' is full of hot rod. The neighbourhood kids thought it was great. :D

It is actually made from two pieces, welded together half way up the long bit. My scrap pile is getting depleted, down to rag ends now.

38be050b.jpg

I found an end boss designed for four bar suspension, with poly bushes, so that was grafted in the middle of the lever. And a tube welded into the chassis rail. A 5/8" bolt secures it all good and snug.

0ff2c919.jpg

5fb96b00.jpg

I plan to make a bolt-on foot pedal, to some design of interest at some stage.

Taxi to Manila airport at 4am tomorrow morning, then off to work in the US, so this is the last for six or seven weeks. :(

I got medieval with the rear end, about four hours ago, as it just looked too long, and space is limited in my mini garage. So, I cut 12" off. The bed can still be as long as I want to make it, but a bolt on rear bumper device will provide protection from impacts.

eaffb076.jpg

dcd1964a.jpg

I made a tubular seat frame support:

16fc26e4.jpg

Brake pedal appears to poke out in the right place, good guesswork.

ff3c4fab.jpg

MC stashed under seat, will be connected by a looong push-rod, maybe lightweight aluminium tube to stop it bouncing about on rough roads. Dimbo here chopped the cut-out in the wrong place. Still, it all needs another layer or two of 'glass all over, so repairs and tidying will be done then....

80ce9aae.jpg

Very nice work, King. I'm enjoying your build and the unusual circumstances you are dealing with.
Welcome to the Colonies.

Thanks guys.
I bought the body off a guy on Ebay, from somewhere up in north Wales. He makes a whole bunch of glass stuff, mostly non-car related.

I'd love a Tig welder, if money allowed. And I have a Mig, but it is a bit small for most of the work I'm doing.

Latest posts

Back