street legal jalopy/vintage fenderless oval race car 1940lSH MOPAR tribute to DAD

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
titled

found a 1947 desoto for dirt cheap with title, will use some parts off it and scrap the rest. don't even have to bring it home.

l can get what l need off of it where it sits. sell a few parts to a few people who l know needs them and keep the title.

SO, the part of the M0PAR family the race car gets to be a is 2 door 1947 Desoto sedan....:D[cl

Later :cool:

Attachments

• Desoto 1947sedan.jpg
    Desoto 1947sedan.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
cutting

the cutting and trimming has began on the chassis:D

roughing it out with the torch, got a plasma cutter yesterday, went to use it and the belt in my compressor is broke. gotta fix it so we can do the close in work and have the cuts cleaner.

plasma cutter's sure make life easier.

Attachments

• DSC01067.jpg
    DSC01067.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 75
  • DSC01068.jpg
    DSC01068.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC01070.jpg
    DSC01070.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC01069.jpg
    DSC01069.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 80
Looks like you're having some of that fun with fire. Careful and burn
the deck on your trailer.

Progressing nicely, keep on keeping on.

POPS[cl[cl

Well at least you are wearing the official fire proof

the cutting and trimming has began on the chassis:D

roughing it out with the torch, got a plasma cutter yesterday, went to use it and the belt in my compressor is broke. gotta fix it so we can do the close in work and have the cuts cleaner.

plasma cutter's sure make life easier.

Safety ball cap with flames and specially treated sweat pants.....whew....I was afraid you'd go up in smoke...:D

not me

not me sarge, l know better:D

it's one of my friends who is helping me on the car.

l tried to tell him about it, but some people just don't listen.:eek:

thanks pops, l put a square of sheet metal under the area where the cutting is and wet the deck well so we don't have a ''boo boo''

Later...:cool:

I'm glad you clarified that.....

Kind of blew my image of what you looked like....but hey...we all can't be as handsome as the old sarge....Can we??!! :D Tell your buddy no offense....:D

wiring

l towed it to my buddies house 150 miles away from home so he can wire it and do some welding. we got the door bars cut out and started the process of pulling off the oil pan to weld the holes in it other small things that need welding on them.

post pics when l get home later this week.

replace

l pulled the oil pan off today, l swear they used the only pound of silicone they had. 3 hours cleaning it off the block.

the flat bottomed race-style oil pans a lost cause, just to many holes to patch and fix the bad job the guy tried to patch, a welder he ain't. l will have to replace the bottom of it. so instead l will just throw a stock one from my collection of 6 in the pack-rat pile out back.

l had my welder friend look at the rest of the welding on the main chassis and cage and he said they look good.

inside the motor looks clean, no gunked up crap inside, that make me feel better.

pics soon,

pics, get yer pics here

home,

pics..[P

going back next week to finish the wiring, had to stop to take car of family stuff,,,

Attachments

• DSC01074.jpg
    DSC01074.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC01079.jpg
    DSC01079.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 68
  • DSC01080.jpg
    DSC01080.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC01078.jpg
    DSC01078.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 61
  • DSC01076.jpg
    DSC01076.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC01075.jpg
    DSC01075.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 64
  • DSC01073.jpg
    DSC01073.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC01072.jpg
    DSC01072.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC01071.jpg
    DSC01071.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 75
more

l got new battery cables, the small size that was on it was 0K for a car with no charging system but would never work for a car with a alternator.

l have to figure out where to put the fuse box so it's safe, out of the way and still easy to get to.

the horn will be activated by a push button. the horn l found is a original stock "beep beep" horn off a 1970 road runner :D

Attachments

• DSC01087.jpg
    DSC01087.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC01089.jpg
    DSC01089.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC01088.jpg
    DSC01088.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
day

looks like late wednesday or early thursday to get back up there so we can get at it again.

l called to let my friend know that today and he says he started with out me and has it 1/2 wired already[S

told him he coulda waited for me, said he got bored,,,yea bored,,like he don't have 6 projects of his own he's working on and needs to finish.:eek:

here

back at it..will take a pic or two & get'em posted when l get home.[P

got the battery cables ran, figured out where the seat is gonna be, a hundred little things to do still.

oil pan

l had to use the beat up oil pan off the 4OO, we reskinned the bottom and added a extra scrap piece for skid plate.

l forgot the 4OO SBC because of the longer stroke has to have a special oil pan to clear the rods and all the pans l have are 327 or 35O so they don't work:eek:

having to fix the oil pan cut into time for other things, so tomorrow were back on the to do list of wiring and odds & ends.

l hope to have this thing done by April because there is a car show l always like to "debut" my latest creation at in Tenino.

l had to use the beat up oil pan off the 4OO, we reskinned the bottom and added a extra scrap piece for skid plate.

l forgot the 4OO SBC because of the longer stroke has to have a special oil pan to clear the rods and all the pans l have are 327 or 35O so they don't work:eek:

having to fix the oil pan cut into time for other things, so tomorrow were back on the to do list of wiring and odds & ends.

l hope to have this thing done by April because there is a car show l always like to "debut" my latest creation at in Tenino.

Ahh heck, they will work for a little while :p

And you promised us pictures, what gives? ;)

home

not at my home base of operations...

l have to wait till l get there so l can download the pics from the digital camera to my computer, then post the pics,,,so,,,as soon as l get home, in a few days, they'll be up.:D

15O miles from home having a good friend help me with the things l can't do anymore due to back and lung injuries l "inherited" during my working man days.:(

Latest posts

Back