Body swap vs Drive train swap?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ratrod94

which would be easier swaping the body from the 51 to the 67 Ford frame? or taking the drive train from the 67 f250 and putting it in the 51 ford F3? I would be using the rear end of the 67 in the 51. for better gear ratio. settle mine and my dad's arguement i always go to your guys' advice lol

Attachments

• 3Ec3K43H35N25Hc5Jad57cb88721483c51db4.jpg
    3Ec3K43H35N25Hc5Jad57cb88721483c51db4.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 15
  • 52 ford 018.JPG
    52 ford 018.JPG
    150.2 KB · Views: 14
motor

the front 67 suspension is probably to wide for the 50's truck and 3/4 ton running gear is not my first choice. a good 1/2 ton rearend and the motor & tranny out of the new truck into the old would be the easiest.

Later :cool:

Do not use the 67 as a donor, find another donor to work with.
OK, do what you want, after all they are yours but consider this, you are talking about dissembling a classic to build another.

i really believe the 67 is to wide all the way around. most people use a nova/camero sub frame and the same car rear ends. i'm sure you can find a rear end pretty easy, but the front you might look at some of the mustang 2 style kits. you might can use a s10 or ranger frame.

I would suggest using a Chrysler k member. They work very well in the F series trucks.

I agree with Old Iron. Your stealing from a classic. That body looks to be in good condition. Only take the motor and trans from the F250. For your next project, slam the F250 with a subframe and different drivetrain.

I agree with Old Iron. Your stealing from a classic. That body looks to be in good condition. Only take the motor and trans from the F250. For your next project, slam the F250 with a subframe and different drivetrain.

bad thing about the F250 is it doesnt have a title :\ I wouldnt tear down a classic but I was just going to use the motor and Tranny and Rear end and sell the rest to a buddy of mine. who is restoring a F100

Go with switching the the older Ford f-1 onto the newer frame and drive train.
S-10's are to narrow for this kind of swap even though people do it all the time.
then they end up swaping rear ends for something wider,ect.....
Here is a pick of my former daily driver. Not an F-1 but you get the idea.It's sit on a a full size GMC Sierra 1/2 ton untouched chassis and drive train.
And as far as a 67 being a classic goes. Anyything that I can remember seeing new ain't no classic.;)
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_1779.jpg
    IMG_1779.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 19
bad thing about the F250 is it doesnt have a title :\ I wouldnt tear down a classic but I was just going to use the motor and Tranny and Rear end and sell the rest to a buddy of mine. who is restoring a F100

Might be a problem in your state, not a problem in the south,

the Georgia DMV will not even issue titles for anything older than 20 yrs in GA.

all you need is a bill of sale, doesent have to be notarized.
they do check to see if its stolen, and they come out in the parking lot and eyeball the VIN, and check to see if the sellers name on the bill of sale matches the last known owner.

might be worth it in your state to get a "abandoned vehicle title" or a "bonded title" is your state offers it.

GA does, with a bonded title, you have to get an insurance co to put up a bond, that is forfeited if the vehicle turns out later to be stolen.
costs about $75 for a title bond.

Might be a problem in your state, not a problem in the south,

the Georgia DMV will not even issue titles for anything older than 20 yrs in GA.

all you need is a bill of sale, doesent have to be notarized.
they do check to see if its stolen, and they come out in the parking lot and eyeball the VIN, and check to see if the sellers name on the bill of sale matches the last known owner.

might be worth it in your state to get a "abandoned vehicle title" or a "bonded title" is your state offers it.

GA does, with a bonded title, you have to get an insurance co to put up a bond, that is forfeited if the vehicle turns out later to be stolen.
costs about $75 for a title bond.

Its to much of a hassel in Nebraska to get a title for a car with no title... :(

Would this work!

Found this 73 Ford Station wagon on CL for $600.00 No title. I only look for donors with no title. it has a 429 in it and automatic could i put the body of my F3 on this frame? Any details would work great because i havent bought the 67 F250 yet and now idk what route to take...

Attachments

• 3Ie3s43N75Nf5sc5q4d6uc7e93907716519bc.jpg
    3Ie3s43N75Nf5sc5q4d6uc7e93907716519bc.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back