Miller Welder

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruno

Crusty Rusty Old Rat Rodder!
I am getting ready to purchase a Millermatic 211 autoset from cyberweld. To say that I'm a novice welder is an understatement.
I already have an auto dimming helmet. Other than that, what do I need to purchase as far as consumables and wire. I will only be welding mild steel up to 3/16in.
My garage is wired for 110 30amp, 240 30amp and 240 60amp. All are on dedicated services. I also don't know much about electricity. Should the welder be plugged into the 240 30amp or 60 amp service?

Sorry for all the dumb questions, but as my wife always tells me, when it comes to some things I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer [;)

I am getting ready to purchase a Millermatic 211 autoset from cyberweld. To say that I'm a novice welder is an understatement.
I already have an auto dimming helmet. Other than that, what do I need to purchase as far as consumables and wire. I will only be welding mild steel up to 3/16in.
My garage is wired for 110 30amp, 240 30amp and 240 60amp. All are on dedicated services. I also don't know much about electricity. Should the welder be plugged into the 240 30amp or 60 amp service?

Sorry for all the dumb questions, but as my wife always tells me, when it comes to some things I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer [;)
No dumb questions that I see.
Good choice on welders :cool:
Get a wire lube pad and wire lube so your liner will last longer.
60 amp on the power source.
Get a package of tips the size of wire you end up buying.
WeldAid--LubeMaticreg-Lube-and-Wire-Kleenerreg-Pads-69W-lg.jpg

41LF5Mn4DiL._AC_UL320_SR180,320_.jpg

Large spool of wire (44 lbs) I prefer the .035 because, you can weld up to 1/4" from the chart settings and thicker when you learn more about how to set the machine. We never change the wire size and weld body seams with it too.
As you can see by the chart it's the ideal size wire.
wirethicknesschart.jpg

I'm a grinder, not a welder. That said, I've got the 211. I run it off 110v for most thinner stuff. 220v for 1/8" and bigger. Usually I have .030 wire in it, but I'm often welding thin to not really there metal - like filling pin holed stuff.

I think you can run it on 30A 220V, but don't recall. Check the manual when you get it. If it's just as easy to run it on the 60A, do it. Make sure you have a crazy heavy extension cord if you use one. Running a welder on too light of a gauge cord will give you crappy welds.

You are going to love that welder. We have a 210, a 211, and a 200 sychrowave tig, and all are perfect in every respect. They just keep going and going.

All of our stuff, even our plasma cutter, came from Cyberweld. Prices are the best and so is their service.

Miller stuff makes a good welder out of even us so so welders. :D

Don

Thanks for the info guys. Wife has a small inheritance coming in and she is buying the welder as a anniversary present for me. I have a friend who is an excellent welder, when I get the machine he is going to teach me the basics.

She has a sister Don, but if I fix you up with her your sons would put a hit out on my butt. She is nuttier than a fruitcake. She has 2 sons, one in prison and one headed that way, still want to meet her?

Don ; you don't need the aggrivation. When your friends tell you to stay away believe them. Take it from someone that has made that mistake. Run as fast as you can!

No guts....no glory...

Don ; you don't need the aggrivation. When your friends tell you to stay away believe them. Take it from someone that has made that mistake. Run as fast as you can!

could be a really interesting relationship....LOL.. :D Didn't a wise man once say...Life is a series of risks....?

Back to the question at hand... [;)

• tank and gas (avoid flux core if you can)
  • some way to cut metal, the better the prep, the easier the welding
  • a welding table -- it does not need to be fancy to start but something that is up off the floor and won't catch on fire quickly.
  • a couple grinders (one for a cutting wheel, one for a flap disc)
  • cheap gloves for moving material around
  • good gloves for welding (personal preference)
  • practice, lots of practice

Happy days! Wifes inheritance finally came in. Ordered my Miller 211, .035 consumable kit, 11lb spool of .035 wire and wire lube pads. I have everything else I need, tank, gloves etc.

Will now be a birthday present instead of an inheritance present (68 years old and 25 years of marriage). My wife is the best thing that ever happened to me.

Needless to say I am tickled to death. Will be waiting impatiently at the front door for the ups man.

I'll echo Sunnybeach on the welding table. Laying out crap on the garage floor is hard on the back, however, much depends on how much space you have and how big the project is......
If nothing else, build a small table and put casters under it so you can move it around.

Latest posts

Back