YOM Licence Plates

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IronRat

Anyone running Year Of Manufacture Lic. Plates?

Gayle gave me an early Birthday gift of 1959 Illinois Lic plates. Currently, I have
regular passenger car plates. I'll need to switch to our Expanded Antique plates then I can legally run the YOM plates.

" (b) Any person who is the registered owner of an expanded-use antique vehicle may display a historical license plate from or representing the model year of the vehicle, furnished by such person, in lieu of the current and valid Illinois expanded-use antique vehicle plates issued thereto, provided that the valid and current Illinois expanded-use antique vehicle plates and registration card issued to the expanded-use antique vehicle are simultaneously carried within the vehicle and are available for inspection."

Not a big fan of how this statue is worded. While I don't mind caring the Expanded use plate & registration card for inspection. Not having my YOM plate in the data base seems like a red flag for the Men & Woman of Law Enforcement. :eek:

I would hope the YOM plates wouldn't be too "overstimulating" for zealous young officers.

"If year-of-manufacture (YOM) license plates grew on trees, the tree for the United States would have 50 branches, with about 38 of them bearing YOM tags. I say “about” because it’s hard to determine if proposed YOM laws in three states have yet been passed by state legislatures. So there are either 35 (or 38) states that currently have laws permitting the use of old license plates on collector cars.

The 35 states that definitely have YOM laws are Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Kansas, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia and Wisconsin. "

- https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2005/11/08/year-of-manufacture-plates

So, I have to wonder if I get safe passage through Indiana if I want to go to Michigan? Of course I could just keep swapping the out if I have to drive through the Hooiser State.

I run them on everything, all the time. Yes I have been hassled a couple times in other states, but nothing of serious consequence. Most officers are pretty cool on old car stuff, but the few that aren't can just go call it in to check then realize I was right anyways. Pays to stay educated on the law...

In Missouri you can register YOM with DMV (as a historical plate) and display them all the time, legally.
This is providing the plates have been out of circulation for three consecutive years to start with.

Although I'm running antique plates on mine, I could have had a YOM plate registered if I had one at the time.

If you're concerned with being hassled, print off the law and keep it with your registration and correct plate. Had to do that when I lived in NC.

Yes, I plan on keeping a copy of the statute with the antique plate & Reg. in the car. I'm not really worried about being hassled as I know I would be illegal. But, I don't want give up my drive time for roadside discussions of the finer points of the DMV code.

Sounds like nothing to be concerned over.

I would prefer it if Illinois would put the YOM in the system. Seems it would benefit us as owners.

California is a go for YOM's, I got questioned a few time for only having one until i explain during the war only one plate was issued. Mine were 1945, a very good year i'm told. [cl

That list is outdated, we have had them for several years here in AL. We can run Vintage vehicle plates or YOM. The only thing for the YOM to be legal is that the number sequence cannot be in use on another tag. That could be a problem since we used the same number system every year except for a few years. Joe Q. Public could have actually bought the same tag number every year for several years. I have seen multiple years like that, only one could be registered.

I have two 1947 plates for my car, but until I restore one of them, I'm running the Vintage plate.

In Texas we can run our YOM plates all the time. They recently changed our rules & they have 2 types now. One gives you limited mileage & allows shows & parades mainly & the other is unlimited. Why they make that distinction is beyond me but my Nova has the unlimited version. The unlimited is good for 2 years & the limited is good for 5 years. Both have to be inspected. You also have to have 2 plates & they have to be in the Texas plate book... they have to be the real thing & no bogus made up numbers etc. Texas has a book of every plate that's *ever* been made!

BoB

Ours are permanent, register once, never pay again. They stay with the car if it's sold. They have the sequence numbers on file in a computer, if that sequence is already in use, it kicks it out. Good thing is that there are 67 counties, so the same sequence can be used 67 different times with the difference being the county prefix number. My county number is 32, so if you have a tag numbered say 32-1234, it can only be registered one time, no matter the year, if anybody else has 32-1234 from another year, it can't be registered, but if you had say 40-1234 and nobody had that sequence registered, you'd be good to go. And only the rear is required, even if they originally had front and rears.

My current plate's registration runs out this month. So, today I got my Extend use Antique plates. Saved $47 over the reg. pass. plates :D of course that's only oner tank of gas :p.

I put on the YOM plates are they look :cool: Glad I did it now.

Latest posts

Back