buick nailhead to chev trans.?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nailhead A

Hey any Nailhead fans,
anyone ever stuck a '57 chevy 3 spd on a '54 322? I have a nailhead I'd like to use but no trans...I have a '57 chev rear axle so the chev 3 spd. (I think they are saginaw??) seems like a good choice. I also have a weak 5 bolt top cover 3 spd closed drive trans from the smaller buick 264 (with a bellhousing that will fit the 322), flywheel, clutch and pressure plate, apparently the flywheel can be reweighted to work with the 322, but the trans itself is weak as hell, has a weird in-out shift pattern that I'd have to make my own shifter for, and is a torque tube trans. Does anyone know if this will work and which mods need to be done?
- Thanks
Did I mention I can't afford (let alone find) an aftermarket adapter

:(Well I just went through the list looking at suggestions on my 401 and looks like the list has been removed or done away with [S

Last edited:
I posted the same links as well OI when he asked this question in the Nailhead section of RRR.
I have also pointed him to a FB Nailhead group that Russ and his son are members of. So far no definite answers.
Adapter stuff for nailheads are expensive even if you can find them. Same went for the Olds Rocket V-8 that I had in my truck. Once you start dealing with obsolete engines it can get pricey.
Torchie

Latest posts

Back