1937 Chevy Coupe

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, guys.

We're fingering (not a typo) it out as we go along and we're not too smart... best case scenario, it'll be a catastrophic success.

Awesome build, I really like the 37 Chevy lines! That exhaust fabrication looks exhausting!!������ You did a great job putting all those pieces together, now you’ve got some time under the hood to finish it!! Keep up the great work, I look forward to seeing your progress.

smallfoot: A friend sent me this photo...

attachment.php

... we used this idea, but we needed some adjustment to determine the depth... when had that figured out, we measured backward from the box and made the column to suit the box depth...

We hacked as much off the Toronado column as we could...

attachment.php

We used the Toronado's mounting flange and lower bearing, the inner tube, the double D (I can't say that without grinning) shaft and made them one with the Impala column...

attachment.php

Pure luck... the Toronado's 1" double D ([ddd) is formed on the bottom of a hollow tube and the tube fits perfectly over the Impala's solid 3/4"...

attachment.php

All that decided, measured and fit, I'll TIG the double D ([ddd) tube to the 3/4" shaft six ways from Sunday. [;)

Here's the "finished" box with the column in place. I am not pleased with my chicken s*** welding here. :mad: I've come to realize, I can't see small detail worth a damn and this golden turd is proof. Some proper grinding discs will help blend the fugly out and we'll get some... in between time, I'll be shopping for a magnifying lens or three...

attachment.php

Attachments

• column donor cut.JPG
    column donor cut.JPG
    136.8 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0964.JPG
    IMG_0964.JPG
    200.5 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0933.JPG
    IMG_0933.JPG
    134.5 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0969.JPG
    IMG_0969.JPG
    153.4 KB · Views: 86
  • column recessed.jpg
    column recessed.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 85
Doc, if I'd known you better a few years ago, maybe you could have steered me straight, but alas, no, didn't happen.
John Deere made the 'D' tractor from 1923 until 1953 and it became famous. Some guys all around the world would hitch two 'D's in tandem and do twice or three times the work. I got interested to see how they steered and flexed, so I went to the internet to learn more. Well sir, it took me prit-near three days looking through sites and forums before I decided not to type in Double 'D' in the search box. [ddd
There will be no pictures with this confession.

Can't see? Well, let me be the first to welcome you to the old farts club :D
I bet you can see the double D's though [ddd

Doc, if I'd known you better a few years ago, maybe you could have steered me straight, but alas, no, didn't happen.
John Deere made the 'D' tractor from 1923 until 1953 and it became famous. Some guys all around the world would hitch two 'D's in tandem and do twice or three times the work. I got interested to see how they steered and flexed, so I went to the internet to learn more. Well sir, it took me prit-near three days looking through sites and forums before I decided not to type in Double 'D' in the search box. [ddd

[cl:D[ddd:p

Green and yellow, Mac? Allow me...

Karpuz-festivali-0505.png

Can't see? Well, let me be the first to welcome you to the old farts club :D
I bet you can see the double D's though [ddd

Yeah, I'm getting older and Mom told me I'd go blind. She's not an optometrist and neither am I, but double D's have definitely affected my vision, one way or the other. :D

Shopping online today for a solution to my newfound dilemma... seems nobody makes a magnifying or "cheater" lens for my big window helmets. WTH? I've been using big window lids for 20 years, at least... does nobody make them 4.5"x 5.25" ???? [S[S[S :mad:

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1219 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_1219 - Copy.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 92
Green and yellow, Mac? Allow me...

Karpuz-festivali-0505.png

Yeah, I'm getting older and Mom told me I'd go blind. She's not an optometrist and neither am I, but double D's have definitely affected my vision, one way or the other. :D

Shopping online today for a solution to my newfound dilemma... seems nobody makes a magnifying or "cheater" lens for my big window helmets. WTH? I've been using big window lids for 20 years, at least... does nobody make them 4.5"x 5.25" ???? [S[S[S :mad:

attachment.php

I just use off the shelf reading glasses. Its a bit of a hassle, but better than not being able to see up close.

Water melon???

Skip, those would be watermelons, for sure. [ddd

I wear progressive lenses with a heavy prescription. (I can't find my way to the sh**house without them.) I think a magnifying lens for my helmets is the cure... just looking for the big ones, you understand!

Not that I know of :(

I don't know of any either Dr.
I have seen Magnifying sheets(Like a large square or rectangle) they you may be able to make work.
I never had to wear glasses up until 2 years ago. I still have problems with welding along a straight with them.:(
Torchie

I got a Rx for reading glasses. Bought a cheap pair Can. Superstore.

Great for welding, grinding, close-up work. $50.00.

Works great.

Princess Auto Has Cheaters.

Attachments

• cheater.jpg
    cheater.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 9
Skip, those would be watermelons, for sure. [ddd

I wear progressive lenses with a heavy prescription. (I can't find my way to the sh**house without them.) I think a magnifying lens for my helmets is the cure... just looking for the big ones, you understand!

I fully understand, my friend. I was in progressive trifocals for years. Finally got so bad that I had to get new eye implants. (not DDs, thankfully) Now I just need strong readers for fine work. Like welding and reading stuff on paper.

Cheap readers for just close work might be worth a try. Switching back and forth is a PITA, but sometimes we need special tools. Good luck with your search.

Latest posts

Back