31 Slant Window Fordor!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigIrish

I got the 29 Tudor about where I want it, so time for a new project. Saw this online and couldn't resist. It's a 31 slant-window that has been sitting in a barn, completely disassembled, in Austin TX since 1944.

During the war there was a lot of peer pressure to turn in your old cars for the scrap drives. Not wanting to do that, the orig owner pulled it into the barn and took it all apart, told the neighbors he turned it in. He must have been bored at night because he took every possible component apart. I have the whole car but it's in 2000 pieces.

Planning on doing a post WWII type hotrod like you would see on the H--B except not all shiny and nice. Going to have a banger, lightly hopped up, run it without fenders or hood.

Attachments

• CIMG3195.jpg
    CIMG3195.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 84
  • CIMG3196.jpg
    CIMG3196.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 36
  • CIMG3197.jpg
    CIMG3197.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 28
  • CIMG3198.jpg
    CIMG3198.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 35
  • CIMG3199.jpg
    CIMG3199.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 30
More pics. Body is basically rust-free and even has the original roof! I've never seen one before.

Attachments

• CIMG3210.jpg
    CIMG3210.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 41
  • CIMG3213.jpg
    CIMG3213.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 34
  • CIMG3212.jpg
    CIMG3212.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 31
  • CIMG3203.jpg
    CIMG3203.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 37
  • CIMG3215.jpg
    CIMG3215.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 37
Sweeeeeeet catch dude!!! I think it would look great without fenders but running the hood with open sides like Gastrick's coupe!

BoB

looks like an amazing find-glad ya got the story that went with it, too![cl[cl

you knowwhat the RRR nation will be looking for next.....a build thread![P

awesome find! I am working on a slant window also. I wish mine was in that good of shape. in answer, the 31 slant window was made as an effort to boost low sales. it was only made in 31 and the roofline comes down a little from the rear doors to the windshield and the front pillars arelaid back a little. there are all kinds of goofy little things that are unique to that particular car. I love the look of them I would love to see pics of your build!

Very nice condition.

What exactly makes a "slant" window a "slant" window? Are the A pillars slanted back?

Exactly. Here's a better pic. The front part of the roof is actually raked down a bit and the windshield slanted back a little. I compared this windshield to the one my 29 Tudor and it's 1.5" shorter.

Attachments

• CIMG3194.jpg
    CIMG3194.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 42
pp.jpg

Here's a slant window that was pretty famous around here in its day. A street driven rod that won big at the drag strip and also at car shows, in the 60's

Last edited:
Cool! Looks like he's running the original frame, modified of course.

I'll definitely need a drop axle or spring to get the front end lower. Maybe not that much of a rake, but some would look cool.

2007_1123ssfr0139.jpg

Here's a slant window I built 25 years ago when resto-rods were popular. This pic was taken a year ago. The owner for the last 20-some years hasn't changed the car. The body came out of a ditch in So. Dakota. Sure wish I could find a beauty like you have.
BTW, the black & white pic above was taken in the 60's.
Good luck with your project.

So the "Slant Window" didn't come with a visor? Looks to be a transition to the 32 Models.

I lightened up your photo so we can get a better look. This looks to be a great project car!

CIMG3210.jpg

MOTOR!

Got nice banger today!! Another 7-hour round trip but worth it!

Heard it run this morning, sounded great. 40 hp on good day - look out tree-fittys!!:D:D

Attachments

• CIMG3222.jpg
    CIMG3222.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 15
  • CIMG3224.jpg
    CIMG3224.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 11
The BigIrish lives right down the street from me & believe me... he STOLE this car! It's in awesome shape... doors all shut properly, floorboards are perfect & have no rust & the original top is still intact! WHAT a catch... it's gonna make a really nice ride they'd even love over on da Hambone!!! :D:D:D

BoB

Latest posts

Back