48 Pontiac 'Streamliner'

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PA41

I like that 'Streamliner' name--reminds me of a train engine or sumthin.

I've been working on this old girl for 5-6 years off and on. Bought her with no floors, or engine tranny. Started by putting a 250 chevy-turbo 350 in it using the original front suspension/rear end brakes. I sat it out in the yard infront of my office window and thought about it for a year, then took her back in the shop and did the rework. Such a weak sister I bailed on the 6, cut the front frame off and stubbed in a Camero, and used a 10 bolt GM rear from a 76 Montycarlo with a 3.08 open diff.

I traded a T bucket rolling chassis for a little serpentine belt B&M Mini Blower that was on a 396, and bought a freshly built 402 BBC that had developed a knock on the start up for $500 from a PU hot rodder I know. I tore the motor down and found #1 rod to be bad, took it in to the shop and found the rod end to be sized wrong-- they resized it, a new bearing and the motor has been great..

I had a little setback last year--I glued in a new windshield, and both pieces cracked while sitting in the shop!! Have it sitting behind the shop thinking on it now.

I am tempted to try and chop it, but hesatant--big job. I have always thought I'll put AC in it and haul the grand kids around--Maybe someday..

PA41

Attachments

• P9040246.jpg
    P9040246.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 92
  • P9060276.jpg
    P9060276.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 46
  • P9060282.jpg
    P9060282.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 42
  • P9060274.jpg
    P9060274.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 45
Mo Poncho

I put the BBC in and an Aluminum rad solved some heating probs--along with a shroud and a big fan she cooled down well.

Got a Visor from a 50 Chevy and some skirts from JC Whitney and a 'la Kukaracha' horn :) ..

The last pic is a rough idea of what a chop would look like. Maybe someday..

PA41

Attachments

• work 192.jpg
    work 192.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 27
  • yellowcar 002.jpg
    yellowcar 002.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 34
  • smallsize.JPG
    smallsize.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 48
  • smallchop.JPG
    smallchop.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 65
Always liked the fast back style of those cars. It's comming along nicely, will be a fun cruiser. Keep us posted.[P

That might be a chop better farmed out to a pro, but it would be money well spent. It would look great chopped and bagged, skirts are cool too.

Hey - my kinda car! I'm finally gettin' started on my 48 Olds Dynamic. It's the 4-door 125" wb version, but essentially the same style. Hope to have some pics up soon. I'm planning a channel, chop, and section - in that order. The rear section is gonna be a bear. I'm thinking I might lay it over from the bottom of the trunk if not lower down. That's next years project though.

BTW, hope you work with metal better than photoshop. ;)

PA, thats a good looking car. Me personally, and this is just me, id make it to what some call a bomber or a tail dragger. Or what id like to call a lead sled. Just lower just a tad, just enough to where it looks like the skirts are dragging the ground. Nice paint job and cruise.

I see a chop that involves lowering the rear deck. extend the front fender lines down to the bottom front of the rear fender. extend the rear fenders a little so they match the front fender and move the axle back a wee bit. nose the front lid and maybe a little section job.

Hmmm sounds like work. I think driving it may be the cheapest option.

Awesome car by the way, I love the look of that year pontiac.

I wuz gonna do all that customstuff--'Nosin' and 'deckin' N 'taildraggin n all. I had planned to hire it all done and pay for by all the $ flowing in from hireing out my photochopping skills.

But from Sams reaction--I'm gettin the feelling that plan may not work out--I'm kinda disappointed-- OK -- I'm Crushed!!!

Wheres the $ gonna come from--That Nude square dancing gig didn't pan out like I'd planned, and now my professional photoshoppin career is on the rocks.

Life is hard..

PA41
(Thanks for the replies)
:D

Wheres the $ gonna come from--That Nude square dancing gig didn't pan out like I'd planned, and now my professional photoshoppin career is on the rocks.

Life is hard..

PA41
(Thanks for the replies)
:D

way to much information, there man...nude square dancing:eek:

i really think the old girl just needs a heavy flaked paint job, some nice chrome wheel/baby moons and a really plush interior

--and an sbc for motorvation--btw i got the sbc and i'll help swap w/ya:D

'bout to get going on this one?-- i hope you don't neglect the other "projects";)

Hang in there Pa41, there's always a need for wedding planners, or gift wrappers at Penny's, or.......[cl..........CR

I'd have to chop if it was to happen. Moneys short, and I'd have to go to VoTech to learn a skill like Gift wrappin or Door greeting, or Weddin plannin, so I'll just have to start hackin myself.

I've seen N-r-Net pics where they cut the whole top and trunk and dropped it down and forward a couple inches. I have the pic at home, but I'm goofin off at work now and did some of that photo work I'm so good at to do a fer-X-ample. Follow the dotted line.

Do youse guys that have chopped, think that is a do-able thing?

Or maybe just do the lakes car stretch??

PA41

Attachments

• poiuytds.JPG
    poiuytds.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 16
  • cutline1.JPG
    cutline1.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 1sixpack2go_aug08.jpg
    1sixpack2go_aug08.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 19
PA41, I really like your Pontiac. My dad has one also. My dad is running a big block Chevy too. They look really cool chopped correctly but it's not an easy job as you already know. Did you replace all the front 1948 sheetmetal with 1946 sheetmetal?

Good eye--the original had a tree or something fall on it, and the guy I got it from gave me the extra front clip when I bought it. (Ididn't realize it was a 46)

Thanks for the comments. The car is really over my skill level to do what I want with it, and I don't hire work done, so I'm jammed up. Thats pretty much why I'm taking so long working it up. I guess I'm hoping to grow into it..:eek: Sometimes I take years rubbing on a problem, and usually- eventually, the route to take will just appear. I have re-addressed problems from 20-30 years ago, and the solutions are so obvious---now.. I've even flashed back into lectures in school in the 70s, and get that "Oh--THATS what he meant" I MIGHT be a little slow sometimes.:D

This is the pic I snagged somewhere that shows the style of chop I'm thinking about.

PA41

Attachments

• 52fleetlinechop3.jpg
    52fleetlinechop3.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 17
PA, here may be a little help, and its just food for thought. Follow the green lines (my famous art work), lay the back window down a little, lean the B pillar a little more forward, and lean the A pillar forward a little as well almost making it a flat window.

Attachments

• 000.JPG
    000.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 13
Come on PA, you can do it![cl You're already thinking way beyond the box, that shows me you have the drive! You know you'll get all the help you need right here. I can't really see you as a wedding planner or gift wrapper![S...CR

I would agree with Arkansas on were to chop, but it's not absolutely nessesary to chop, the car looks very good the way it is. It would scare me to do it myself but as said on here before it's only metal anything can be fixed.

I would never suggest a Hamb Sandwich.....but, there is an awsome build thread that covers what is involved in chopping a fastback similar to yours. This one is a 49 Chevy, but I'm sure a lot of his technics could be applied to your chop (should you decide to do it) and he documented everything well. Maybe it will help. go to the bottom link in his first post here to start veiwing from the start

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=235486

Latest posts

Back