Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Undead Sleds... makin' old tin Undead every day! > Rat Rod & Hot Rod Talk

Rat Rod & Hot Rod Talk General discussion of car type stuff!

Old 01-16-2019, 05:36 PM
One of the Dirty Dozen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamamav View Post
Animal, there is at least one, maybe more, clips on YouTube of a 60 or 61 Chevy drag car, a black Impala I think. When that car leaves the line, it torque twists, the left front tire comes about 3 foot off the ground and the other three tires stay flat on the ground! Itís crazy how much that car twists!
Old 01-16-2019, 09:46 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gastrick View Post
Thatís the one!

How ya doing Gastrick?
Old Yesterday, 02:55 AM
One of the Dirty Dozen!

I’m handicapped but getting better and living on my own in my own house By myself which was not expected.I’ve got a killer project in the works and my old coupe It’s still alive and kicking. And yes, I still have pictures of every possible thing ha ha. That’s a 1960. I had a 62 impala so I know most of the X frame cars
Old Yesterday, 03:05 AM
One of the Dirty Dozen!

I met Lamar Walden With his worlds fastest 409 at an old super Chevy show because the magazines were photographing One of my cars at the same time. Can’t post it here but the slickest X-frame Chevy I’ve ever seen in person was troy trepineas seafoam 1960 Pro street. The detail was incredible
Old Yesterday, 10:20 AM
Please stand by.......

Old Yesterday, 10:39 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

sorry, but that's not frame twist, the body is straight as can be, if it was frame twist the back would be more level. we can see the full roll cage through the windshield, it should be mounted to outriggers, and the out riggers would be tied to the inner rockers, the roll cage is stopping most of the frame twist.

it's the lack of a properly adjusted three link set up, the right rear tire is flattened out until the rim is almost touching the pavement, and the tire is pushed way up in the wheel well with the shock almost totally collapsed, and the left rear tire is almost off the ground because the shock is at full extension. the rocker panel on the left side must be higher than the top of the tire, while the right side is almost touching the pavement.

an anti-roll bar in the rear would be the first addition I would make, or better yet a fourth link. also the car is begging for a little heavier springs in the rear.

and if I'm wrong and it has a 4-link set up, somebody needs to learn suspension set up.
Old Yesterday, 11:04 AM
Please stand by.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_tHAHb8Y2U
Old Yesterday, 12:35 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueNorther View Post
sorry, but that's not frame twist, the body is straight as can be, if it was frame twist the back would be more level. we can see the full roll cage through the windshield, it should be mounted to outriggers, and the out riggers would be tied to the inner rockers, the roll cage is stopping most of the frame twist.

it's the lack of a properly adjusted three link set up, the right rear tire is flattened out until the rim is almost touching the pavement, and the tire is pushed way up in the wheel well with the shock almost totally collapsed, and the left rear tire is almost off the ground because the shock is at full extension. the rocker panel on the left side must be higher than the top of the tire, while the right side is almost touching the pavement.

an anti-roll bar in the rear would be the first addition I would make, or better yet a fourth link. also the car is begging for a little heavier springs in the rear.

and if I'm wrong and it has a 4-link set up, somebody needs to learn suspension set up.
Thank you, I looked at it the other day and didn't think it was frame twist either. While the X frames aren't the best, if they could twist that bad you wouldn't be able to drive it.

My '46 GMC on Photobucket
---------------------------------------------------------------
When you don't know what you're doing, it's best to do it quickly.

And when Iím gone, you can call me foolish but hopefully not boring. I will have lived.

The more I learn about women, the more I like my car.
Old Yesterday, 01:44 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

I think they were more prone to body twist than frame twist. The body strength was supposed to be in the rockers, if it was weak there it could let the body twist around the frame which ran down the center of the car.
Old Yesterday, 09:39 PM
Rocket Surgeon

I completely agree with BlueNorther.

I suspect it's a four link car, set (on purpose) to leave like that. I also suspect in the frame below (borrowed from fbp's video) he broke his diagonal link...

Some people live for drama, attention and "shocking" viral videos, while most racers live for consistency and round wins. Somewhere in the middle, there are (or were) lunatics like my good friend pictured here...

In my eye, the altered is getting out of the hole exactly like the big Bel Air. The little altered is stiff as a fence post and it could leave square and "flat", but the four link is set to add some excitement to an otherwise "boring" run. (His words, not mine.)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 60 Bel Aire.jpg (80.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg QCR Child's Play.jpg (50.0 KB, 17 views)

1937 Chevy Coupe
1938 Chevy Sedan