1934 Plymouth five window

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took the body off today, and started cutting the steering shaft heim joint pedestals and the 'new Hemi' motor mounts off. My plan and the Previous Owners plan are not the same.

Attachments

• IMG_1805.jpg
    IMG_1805.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1806.jpg
    IMG_1806.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 42
Just had to cut and redo my motor mounts and trans mount. Always better to do it now or end up redoing it and more later.

I put the motor and transmission back in 3" higher at the front and 2 1/2" at the back. I had to make one more U-bolt for the front mount when a friend came along and wanted to buy my old Kenworth, so I became a salesman right away. When that truck goes away that will be the end of an era for me.

Attachments

• IMG_1820.jpg
    IMG_1820.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1821.jpg
    IMG_1821.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 45
Yes Kenny, a new chapter, retirement. It's a bigger step psychologically than the big steps you take at other times in your life, when you're younger.
I've always been a builder, though, not always hotrods.

Hey guys, I finally got back at this '34 Plymouth. I worked on putting the steering shafts and U-joints back in place. Nothing picture worthy yet.

Have you decided to ignore your Mustang II geometry, Mac? I beg you to correct the issue before you go any further, my friend...

Sometimes I don't get a lot of forward progress, just sideways progress, but here's a little more steering linkage engineered.
Doc, I haven't forgotten about the Mustang two geometry. [one] I needed to build up some personal momentum for the project after that long recess so I started on something that is nicer to do. [two] I wanted to engineer the steering shafts with all of the stuff packed in there, engine, header, starter, and pedals, so I can weld up the heim joints pedestals, when I take the motor back out to weld up the top hats. [three] I was stalling a wee bit on cutting out the top hats on the suspension, due to being annoyed and scared. After doing some more homework I did finally see that the top hats are eccentric and welded on the wrong sides, but welded beautifully, [he was a really good welder, he still should have had his thumbs yanked off].
I'll have to look those top hats over more closely, the last picture looks like if I swap sides I'll only move the top of the spring back a bit and not the mounting holes for the top A-frame, --hmmmm.

Attachments

• IMG_2089.jpg
    IMG_2089.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_2090.jpg
    IMG_2090.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1888.jpg
    IMG_1888.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 44
Last year I told you I wanted to raise the motor on transmission up about three inches, well, I did that. It's three inches higher in the front and two and a half in the back. This put the belhousing mounting brackets too short so I cut them off of the crossmember and welded in two and a half inches in each one. The clutch/brake mounting bracket that's welded to the crossmember was also in need of some tweaking. It's tweaked, now. Here it is, hopefully done, and in primer. The first picture is last years version, the second is this new improved one. Notice that the pedestals are longer on the last one.

Attachments

• IMG_1462.jpg
    IMG_1462.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2098.jpg
    IMG_2098.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Probably took longer to engineer than rebuild.

Here's some photos of the two visors I have the first one is from a 28 Dodge Sedan, the other I'm not sure what it is from, but the measurement is really close to what you need and has some of the curve features your roof has.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Resize of visor 001.jpg
    Resize of visor 001.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 56
  • Resize of visor 002.jpg
    Resize of visor 002.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Resize of visor 003.jpg
    Resize of visor 003.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 56
  • Resize of visor 004.jpg
    Resize of visor 004.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 55
  • Resize of visor 005.jpg
    Resize of visor 005.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 55
  • Resize of visor 006.jpg
    Resize of visor 006.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 55
  • Resize of visor 007.jpg
    Resize of visor 007.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 55
Today I painted my crossmember and installed it, well, mocked it up again. Oh ya I let it dry a wee bit first. The pedals are mocked up too and I'm thinking maybe I should raise the pedal pivot if I could. Also the steering column is mocked up completely.
Dozer it is the engineering that takes me quite a bit of time.

Latest posts

Back