`54/`90 shop truck / bike hauler

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dutch

RRR Supportor
Got started on a new project for one of my customers this week.
The company I build this truck for specializes in building reproduction and custom frames for H.D. motorcycles.
A few yrs ago they purchased a bare `54 Chevy p.u body and a `90 silverado with intensions to transform the both into a cool hot/ratrod kinda bike hauler. As yrs went by, nothing happened and after building them some bike related sheetmetal ,the question popped if I would build it for them... I really had to take some time to decide wether or not I would do it, so after 2seconds, I said ok. It`s not necessarily how I would build it if it were mine, but I`ll try to build something nice within my customer`s wishes.

I`m going to work about 15 hrs a week on this truck so it will probably take a while to see some smoking tires.

So, something different here... no S10, but full size frame swap :) I googled a lot but wasn`t able to find a much info on the subject so I`m just going to start and see what I run into. It will be wide fo sure :D

The `90 was stripped to the frame and Last Monday I started installing new front suspension parts, still waiting on a few parts so I hope to get it back on wheels tomorrow. They want to keep the frame most stock to ensure a decent ride and good towing. The rear suspension will be replaced with airride to be able to drop it when loading bikes. Engine will be the stock or maybe little warmed over `90 350. Once back on wheels, the engine will be put on the frame for test fitting the cab. I will leave as little room as possible between hood and engine and drop the cab as far as it will go and go from there...

Smaller sheetmetal parts have been dipped and are in real good shape, exept for the rear fenders....toast and bondo all the way. The cab was supposed to be dipped also but it would fit the bathtub..... the idiots at that company tried to push it in anyway resulting in a huge dent in the back side of the cab :mad:

It`s at the blaster`s now but he`s a busy man, so I hope to get started on the sheetmetal by the end of next week or so.
so, probably a fun, but slow project [P

I'll tag along. The 50 GMC in my sig is on a 1990 C1500 frame. Only thing I would do differently next time is I would stand the radiator up straight instead of leaning it back.

watch

[P[P[P[P[P[;)

curious to see how the cab/bed fits on the wider frame/chassis.

background rods: have we seen the whole cars of the grille/headlites poking out on the 2 in hiding?

Later:cool:

I'll be doing a 1 1/2 ton 53 Ad Chevy to a 3500 4WD Chevy dually later this summer.
Build on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![P

[P[P[P[P[P[;)

curious to see how the cab/bed fits on the wider frame/chassis.

background rods: have we seen the whole cars of the grille/headlites poking out on the 2 in hiding?

Later:cool:

that`s @ the blaster`s... They used to be a father & son company, doing media blasting and restorations ,Peugeot only. The son emigrated and dad still does some blasting. There are still a few cars sitting around that they started work on, but not finished. The one in the pic is a Peugeot 203 pick up (I think) [S

finally got the cab back from blasting. Not half bad at all.... floors were toast, rear corners were solid bitumen roofing, building foam , newspaper and bondo.
Anyways... not much the plasma cutter and BFH won`t handle.
I have the sills sitting level with the underside of the frame and this will probably the final height. The long wb of the c1500 will be problematic with all speed bumps we have here if I drop it more.. Still need to move it forward a bit but the e-brake cable bracket was in the way and it was time to quit for the day.
The fenders will be widened 4" per side, and the owner is considering duallies for the rear :cool:

back at it on Monday.... [P[;)

[P [P [P
My former daily driver was a 1950 panel that sat on an unmodified GMC Sierra 1/2 ton -4 wheel drive chassis.
The S-10 are really too narrow for the AD but they are cheap and plentiful so people use them a lot.
Not a great pic but you can see it sitting in the background.
Torchie

Attachments

• attachment-2.jpg
    attachment-2.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 49
Mine was a 2 ton version to start with and I think the fenders are wider than the smaller ones. Mine clears an impala ss 17x9 wheel without issues. Of course the wheel arch is way to big for the diameter of the tire...[P

Mine was a 2 ton version to start with and I think the fenders are wider than the smaller ones. Mine clears an impala ss 17x9 wheel without issues. Of course the wheel arch is way to big for the diameter of the tire...[P

yours is also sitting much higher on the frame I think...? I will need to raise the the cab floor about 1.5" to clear the frame. Those big fenders on yours also seem to be lower where they meet the running boards, correct?
I think since I`m using the lwb frame , it sure can use some extra width

pulled the cab off the frame today. I planned to start making the mounting points, but closer inspection told me resto first. Ordered a bunch of repairpanels today to get the bottom end rust free. [P Panels are cheap for these cars.... :eek:[cl

positive sidenote; picked up the e-type I restored the bonnet for from the paintshop ,this morning... I know I know...paint is overrated, but this was a huge pile of dented rusted crap when I started.... :cool:

[P [P [P
My former daily driver was a 1950 panel that sat on an unmodified GMC Sierra 1/2 ton -4 wheel drive chassis.
The S-10 are really too narrow for the AD but they are cheap and plentiful so people use them a lot.
Not a great pic but you can see it sitting in the background.
Torchie

Too Narrow depends what you want. I prefer the deep lip wheel look, which works well with the S-10. We've done swaps with full-size and S-10, and would never do the full size one again.

yours is also sitting much higher on the frame I think...? I will need to raise the the cab floor about 1.5" to clear the frame. Those big fenders on yours also seem to be lower where they meet the running boards, correct?
I think since I`m using the lwb frame , it sure can use some extra width

Yes. Mine is sitting above the frame by about 4 inches or so. I had to notch the rear cab flange to fit down over the outside of the frame and it is only about 3/4" above the fuel tank when it is in the stock location inside the frame. I did have to trim the trans tunnel about 3" in the front but everything else went under the cab floor no problem. The big truck fenders do hang lower in the rear as well.

Too Narrow depends what you want. I prefer the deep lip wheel look, which works well with the S-10. We've done swaps with full-size and S-10, and would never do the full size one again.

I`m with you on the looks. The full size frame is what they had so that`s what it`s gonna be. Plus they also need the long bed to haul their bikes.
widening those front fenders isn`t as easy as it looks either... looking forward to cut them up tho :D[;)

Made a little progress with the truck. repaired what was rusted out... turned out to be about anything below the roof... anyways, we`re on the way back :D

After new cabmounts were welded in position I made a new firewall incl. location for the C1500 MC and column.

Next up... test fit doors and start building trans tunnel and floors. [P

Latest posts

Back