Let's see those tractors!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The first three pictures are of an unstyled AR John Deere from 1945. The third picture is me belting up to a dynamometer in a timed event, at a local museum tractor rodeo. The second is George, my step-dad heading out to one of my fields to plow at a club Plowday. The first is at a fall plowday for our club. The fourth pic is of my 730 John Deere blading snow in a past October. This picture is about twelve feet from my easy chair, where I wished I could have been that day. I couldn't find any more farming pictures of this tractor, although I had it in the late 70's and early eighties then traded it in, in '83, only to start hunting for it again and found it in about 2002.

Attachments

• SMP_3693.jpg
    SMP_3693.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 35
  • George and AR.jpg
    George and AR.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 34
  • LB belting up.jpg
    LB belting up.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 105-0556_IMG.jpg
    105-0556_IMG.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 35
I have helped my dad belt up his GP to another tractor. A really old really big tractor to help start it for the first time in many years. It is no easy task, they have to be aligned very well to keep that belt on!! Thanks for sharing!!

Yes Budge, there's quite a trick to all of that.
We have to start on the other side of that little rope, facing the opposite way. When the timer-guy nods to us we take off making a big loop and coming in lining up with the dyno belt pulley. We drive a little too far ahead and the timer puts the belt on our tractor pulley quickly and we back up until the belt is tight, and then get the pulleys turning up to speed. The dyno man will wave and the timer shuts off the stop watch. The belt has to stay on the dyno pulley and also not rip the paint off your tractor or cut your tires up. Our reward for doing all of this correctly and quickly is, we entertained the crowd for a few minutes.

Dr., it is a timed competition. On this day, [last Sunday of August] we use the dynamometer as an implement with a pulley and a flat belt, only. We don't actually make the dyno work. It's the belting up correctly and quickly that counts. You'll see in these pictures of Shaun and Al that they won't want the belt going kitty-wompus, scarring the paint or chewing up the tires. Shaun has the 'G' John Deere and Al has the 88 Oliver. Both are extremely well done tractors, and both guys did their own work.

Attachments

• Shaun belting up.jpg
    Shaun belting up.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 31
  • Al Simpson belting up.jpg
    Al Simpson belting up.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 29
T bought this package a bunch of years ago but have since sold it. I loved this tractor but wan't using it and I hate to have things just sit and rot. It is a 1973 Wheelhorse 12HP auto. Most ofthis tractors had side emblems with a model number but this model one did not and was referred to as the No Name. I had a plow for it that I really miss when digging the garden up or leveling some ground. I have some pics somewhere of a couple others I had and will try to find them. Jim

Attachments

• trac.jpg
    trac.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 34
T bought this package a bunch of years ago but have since sold it. I loved this tractor but wan't using it and I hate to have things just sit and rot. It is a 1973 Wheelhorse 12HP auto. Most ofthis tractors had side emblems with a model number but this model one did not and was referred to as the No Name. I had a plow for it that I really miss when digging the garden up or leveling some ground. I have some pics somewhere of a couple others I had and will try to find them. Jim

Love those lil garden tractors... have a buddy that sorta collects them! [cl[dr

BoB

My brother, Rob, collects Cockshutt tractors. This summer we went on an hours journey to get a '30', a '40', and a '50' Cockshutt, from the widow of a friend of ours. Rob took his own Cockshutt '40' to help pull or push the other tractors onto the trailer. His tractor is on the back of the load.
Here is Rob's '570 Super' on the belt and his '40' pulling the bundle rack.
The 570 plowing.

Attachments

• IMG_2053.jpg
    IMG_2053.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1880.jpg
    IMG_1880.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_3514.jpg
    IMG_3514.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 28
My son-in-law Rodney wanted to get involved with the vintage tractor club, so he found a pretty nice looking 'styled' AR John Deere. We had to tinker on that tractor for a couple of years to get it to work as well as it looks. We found out that new store-bought spark plugs do not light up much in an old tractor. You have to get some old, or new old-stock plugs and then you have tractors that will work out in the field. That red Massey-Harris plow is my Grandfather's. I think it is a 1939. Both my Mum and Aunt Pat remember learning to plow with that plow while Granddad was away in the second World War.

Attachments

• IMG_0991.jpg
    IMG_0991.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0131.jpg
    IMG_0131.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 21
Here's a picture of my dad, crossing the river with the JD 1830 (pictured previously) and the corn planter. There was an island that a neighbor would have dad plant his corn on. I'm not sure the size of the island, it's larger than ours, which is 9 acres. Picture was probably taken mid to late 70's.

Attachments

• thumbnail_20181227_134511.jpg
    thumbnail_20181227_134511.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 22
Those Cockshutt tractors had some nice styling to them. I don't think they made it this far south, I don't remember ever seeing one. We had IH, John Deere, Ford, and Massey Ferguson for the most part. Oh, a few Olivers around, but pretty rare.

Thanks Doc! I couldn't get the stupid pic to orient correctly - for some reason it looked good in my files, then was turned when I uploaded?

Soltz - that's not homemade, it's a 4 row corn planter (Allis Chalmers I think) air planter, it used little blowers in each row to hold the kernel in the plate until it was time to drop, it even had an electronic monitor on the tractor so you knew if one row plugged - really advanced for it's time, and around here :).

This has always been my fav tractor... I want one!!!

BoB

Attachments

• koooltractor.jpg
    koooltractor.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 31

Latest posts

Back