Body paint

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobsundance

I have a 47 Chevy that am building the body is all surface rust color. What do I need to do to protect it? Sand lightly and clear coat over it with some thing?

Attachments

• 8978C50B-0D63-45C7-A8FD-5DD6B8C45E6D.jpg
    8978C50B-0D63-45C7-A8FD-5DD6B8C45E6D.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 40
I use a clear coat called permalac. It's designed for bare metals and rust. It doesnt build up like a regular clear coat. So you dont get that deep ultra shiny look. It adds alittle shine but not a bunch. It really brings out the colors.

I attached some before and after pics

Attachments

• Rusty .jpg
    Rusty .jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_8498 (1).jpg
    IMG_8498 (1).jpg
    167 KB · Views: 27
Keep in mind, it depends on where you are located. NH humidity is way different than OK. I didn't do anything to mine besides wash it. I live in Iowa and park it outside all summer. We get a fair amount of humidity, but I rarely drive it in the rain and it never sees road salt. As long as I keep the dirt off it, I figure it'll be just fine.

Good looking body! Gonna chop it? :D

I use PB Blaster applied with a spray bottle, with any excess wiped off with a rag. After applying, I leave the truck in the sun for a day and the odor disappears. Takes only about 15 minutes to apply and wipe off. I apply it every few months and having been using it for several years.

Some use WD40.

I use PB Blaster applied with a spray bottle, with any excess wiped off with a rag. After applying, I leave the truck in the sun for a day and the odor disappears. Takes only about 15 minutes to apply and wipe off. I apply it every few months and having been using it for several years.

Some use WD40.

I had some guys tell me about this trick when I did my chevy. It's been bare metal with permalac on it for I yeah well now. Drivin in rain and snow. It's just now showing a little surface rust in spots

A treatment to consider before using Gibbs, PB Blaster, or whatever, is to take CLR (A household cleaning product) and go over the whole car with a random orbital sander using a medium Scotchbrite pad. Wipe off the residual (it is messy!)

You will be amazed at how this treatment will bring out paint color hidden under the rust. It also smooths out the rust somewhat.

After the CLR has dried thoroughly, you can apply Gibbs or PB Blaster. CLR is a one-time treatment, while the oils must be applied every few months.

Mine has a similar finish, I waxed it with a polymer wax (no white residue). It gave it a slight sheen and water beads right off!

Don't do a regular clear coat unless you want a chance of ruining the patina.

Mine has a similar finish, I waxed it with a polymer wax (no white residue). It gave it a slight sheen and water beads right off!

Don't do a regular clear coat unless you want a chance of ruining the patina.

Yes dont use a regular clear coat. It will turn yellow and peal off over time. The permalac can be removed with a thinner or acetone

I wasn't referring to permalac, many people think that you can use a regular clear coat which you can't as you've mentioned.

I knew you where referring to regular clear. I have seen it in person and its fugly looking in a bout a year or so

Latest posts

Back