What does your garadge look like

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Popeye31

I am about to embark on a jorney of building a garadge. I am going for a 35'x40' 3 bay garadge. what does your garadge look like? what size is it ? do you have enough room? and is there a tool you can't live with out. right now this is what I will be replacing.

Attachments

• HPIM0693.jpg
    HPIM0693.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 248
  • HPIM1159.jpg
    HPIM1159.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 277
  • HPIM1162.jpg
    HPIM1162.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 266
I got an older block 24X24 that my g-pa used to build n work on his race cars in. Got a nice full size attic to. Not much in the way of a work garage as I have no work stuff other than a few tools, but Im not real swift at fabbing anyway so it probably just saves my stress level. LOl RR

Nice garadge, I hope my garadge will look as nice as yours. how much did it cost.? was it a kit and did you put it together.or did the company you bought it from put it up.

Here is the work area of mine. Its 20X24 which is attached to the 20X80 barn that i have my machine shop and storage in.

Attachments

• model T 020C.jpg
    model T 020C.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 253
I've given this a lot of thought over the years. There is never enough room!
10,000 square feet, say 50 x 200 is the place to start. Of, course, you'd still need a fenced acre (maybe 10 acres) to put all the future projects.

My shop is just under 2000 square feet. The main shop area is 30 x 50, which works pretty well. I'm at a point where I have either got to quit building stuff or get rid of tools (shudder).

No matter what size you build, try to keep storage in some other area. Lawn mowers, camping equipment, boxes of kitchen utensils, etc. should all go somewhere else. Consider adding a seperate storage room.

A covered patio is also a nice feature. Grinding, stick welding, and plasma cutting are extremely dirty operations. Doing them outside will keep the shop a lot cleaner.

I can never figure out a good way to store car parts when I'm in the middle of a project. When you take a car apart, The volumn increases at least tenfold. Some sort of organized tempory storage racks would make life easier.

If you check my build F2 Stang you can see most of the shop.

I've given this a lot of thought over the years. There is never enough room!
10,000 square feet, say 50 x 200 is the place to start. Of, course, you'd still need a fenced acre (maybe 10 acres) to put all the future projects.

My shop is just under 2000 square feet. The main shop area is 30 x 50, which works pretty well. I'm at a point where I have either got to quit building stuff or get rid of tools (shudder).

No matter what size you build, try to keep storage in some other area. Lawn mowers, camping equipment, boxes of kitchen utensils, etc. should all go somewhere else. Consider adding a seperate storage room.

A covered patio is also a nice feature. Grinding, stick welding, and plasma cutting are extremely dirty operations. Doing them outside will keep the shop a lot cleaner.

I can never figure out a good way to store car parts when I'm in the middle of a project. When you take a car apart, The volumn increases at least tenfold. Some sort of organized tempory storage racks would make life easier.

Truer words were never spoken.
buickdoors2.jpg

shop.jpg

Last edited:
my car garage is 24 x 36 and it full . alot of stuff that dont belong in that garge . that 50x200 sounds good for me when i upsize . but i have 3 projects in mine right now .

Attachments

• IMG_0115.jpg
    IMG_0115.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_0112.jpg
    IMG_0112.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_0116.jpg
    IMG_0116.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 120
Mine is 30x30 with 12ft walls. I have 2 add ons for storing trucks, etc. Here's a pic. The carport has been boxed in since this pic was taken... The old truck is a 53 on a Cutlass frame and runnin gear......

Attachments

• 53 lowrider.jpg
    53 lowrider.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 168
Well Popeye, as been said, they are never big enough. Mine is 25 X 36 and packed solid. If the lights go out, I'll bleed to death from the shins on down trippin over stuff as I head for the door. Go as big as the wallet and building permit will allow.;)

I've got a 24x24. Largest the city would allow on my lot. It's big enough to work on a lawn mower comfortably - after that, the space seems to disappear real quick! [S

Speaking of, time to get to it! [;) Maybe I'll take a pic while I'm out there - looks a lot more crowded now with the 48 inside.

Keep the replys comming and the pics are great. I can get an idea of how much space you are working with. I agree with DJ3100 and would like to have storage in the atic area. I was thinking of a barn syle garadge so I could at least stand up in it.The largest I can go is 35X40 my lot is only 60' wide x 120 deep,I need at least 3 foot between the property line and the garadge and I have to be 10 foot off the back property line because of a servitude. plus I need a little yard between the House and garadge to keep the Lady Boss happy. I would also like to have a 1 car carport on one side of the garadge for the grinding and cleaning you know allthe dirty work.I was thinking of a floor plan somthing like the attachment. if it is to light let me know and I will use a pen to darken it.

Attachments

• 1-16-2010 2;24;04 PM.jpg
    1-16-2010 2;24;04 PM.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 69
Here's a few pics of my 24x24 after a good days work of trashing it! I really had to stuff to make room for my Olds and the frame. I built it figuring one bay would be used for shop space. Notice, I've used most every space I can.

Attachments

• IMGP4306 copy.jpg
    IMGP4306 copy.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 682
  • Untitled-1 copy.jpg
    Untitled-1 copy.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 225
  • IMGP4326 copy.jpg
    IMGP4326 copy.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 681
It's a 20x20,with the lift on the side,nothing big,but have had alot of good project drive out from there...

Attachments

• 035.jpg
    035.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 173
  • 053.jpg
    053.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 164
Keep the replys comming and the pics are great. I can get an idea of how much space you are working with. I agree with DJ3100 and would like to have storage in the atic area. I was thinking of a barn syle garadge so I could at least stand up in it.The largest I can go is 35X40 my lot is only 60' wide x 120 deep,I need at least 3 foot between the property line and the garadge and I have to be 10 foot off the back property line because of a servitude. plus I need a little yard between the House and garadge to keep the Lady Boss happy. I would also like to have a 1 car carport on one side of the garadge for the grinding and cleaning you know allthe dirty work.I was thinking of a floor plan somthing like the attachment. if it is to light let me know and I will use a pen to darken it.

Couldn't see your drawing.
What you need is a basement and an attic. Where life gets tough is when you are a tool junkie. Milling machines, band saws and drill presses create a huge mess, but having grinding grit anywhere near them is an early death for machine tools. Sheet metal stuff like E wheels, bead rollers, shears, don't live well with girinding grit or the oil soaked metal chips. Of course, engine building needs a clean room of its own. Woodworking? just forget it, it's not compatable with anything. Either is a plasma cutter - All that vaporized metal has to go somewhere - usually up. Luckily, we don't need no stinking paint prep and spray booth. You'll still need room for that 5 x 12 layout and welding table, though. (Think inverter when you're looking for that TIG welder costs- extra but takes up 1/2 the space.)

Let's see, a full besement with a 5000 pound lift. You could put machining, metal shaping and engine building down there. For that matter, why stop at a full basement -you could basement the whole yard and plant sod on enough of the roof to keep the boss lady happy. Tell her it's a bomb shelter.

Down here in Louisiana the water table is so high if you dig 2 feet you hit water and with the hurricans that flood the neiborhood the basement would be filled with water in no time. but I doo like the lift I could use that mabe I could try to stick that in my budget. I'll post another pic of the drawing tonight got to do some honey do's first.

I have a little 16'X34' with 8' walls--well heated(usually) and cooled that is for working in. Then I have 250 acres of storage :) .... I'd rather have a 40x40 pole barn for storage and still the small working area because I can heat and cool it, and It's bad to weld and grind and Plasma cut in the same space with any-glassed or painted car. I have some buddies with large metal shops with high walls that are so uncomfortable in the heat and cold they are not use-able 4or 5 months a year, or are so full of finished cars in storage theres no real working space..

The small working shop is often a pain, but it's always useable.

PA41

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back