straight 6 engine ideas

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cadman, Really, really nice rod.

I put a 250 Chevy 6 in a '35 International PU with a Saginaw 4 speed. Was surprised at the torque. You could skip gears driving normally. There is a build thread on RRR.

Not to high jack, but...I'm interested in a very light weight inline that can be carbed and has a distributor, no funky computer controlled ignition. Foreign is ok. It needs 300HP hopped up.

Jag motors look cool and sound good. Redline on early motors is not way up there, but should be higher than big 3 stuff from the same era. 4 speed has decent gear spread, but sychronizers are kinda sluggish ....again, killer stuff for the day, not so great compared to modern stuff.

Toyota supra inline six get my vote for the most functional/best for spirited driving. Toyota 5 speeds have perfect gear spreads and shift beautifully. Not sure what kind of speed parts are available or what it would take to make one pretty.

I agree, those jags are great looking and sound awesome. I heard an old E-type cruise by the other day - man what a sound!

I'd be scared off by the high cost of potential repairs and parts though.

If I could just get that sound and a half-way decent looking motor I'd be happy.

I agree, those jags are great looking and sound awesome. I heard an old E-type cruise by the other day - man what a sound!

I'd be scared off by the high cost of potential repairs and parts though.

If I could just get that sound and a half-way decent looking motor I'd be happy.

I think a toyota with healthy cams, big exhaust pipes and carbs (fab up a log manifold and slap on 3 downdraft 2 barrels?) would sound great.

http://www.crower.com/cat/import/toyota/cams/camshafts.shtml

Chevy 250. You can put any trans behind that fits a SBC.

018-4.jpg

019-3.jpg

I have an Inline 6, chevy 250 from a '69 Camaro, backed up with a Chevy S-10 t-5 tranny (5 speed). I split the exhaust manifold myself, got dual glasspacks, hope it sounds good. Not running yet. (It's in my '29 Essex RS Coupe on a home made frame)

It's going to take some major squeezing to get 300 ponies from a pushrod 6 banger. That's more than double what most of them were factory rated at. Most were designed more for low end torque.
I like 6 bangers, big 300 Ford fan and run a hotted up one in my F-250 but personally I hate the exhaust sound. I keep mine nice and quiet. Loud 6 bangers sound like barf to me. It's kinda that povery drone.

The heads are the big drawback to the 300. You just can't hog them out enough for serious power. There is supposed to be a crossflow aluminum head in the works but there seems to be no news on it for a couple years. They do have a good aftermarket head for the small Ford six.

not trying to high jack but on the same subject! i want to put a 55 chevy 235 in my 29 chevy, i have come across one thats ready to go with a powerglide trans!, was just wondering does anyone have one i can get the demensionals measurements from before i go and buy this thing ? a buddy of mine says he can get it cheap for me, and he'll have to go get it . but before i commit on it would like to know if i have to do abunch of mods to the cab and chassis to make it fit! i know i will have to do some mounts i just dont want to change a perfect firewall!i can seem to find anything on it or the 194 (early 194) that was in it. o have long since got rid of the 194 , wish i had kept it now! a total length would doand with and height!

my roomate's got a 235 in his 49 chevy. i can go out and measure it for you. i'll post it up by the end of the day. not sure what trans he's got in it though. took those measurements.
roughly: 33" long to the nose of the fan, 26-28" tall from the deepest part of the oil pan to the top of the valve cover, 12" wide. hard to get a good measurement as it's all muddy outside right now, but the measure of length is good. pics are a little rough, camera screen got broke. my roomate just got this truck out of two years of storage, i'm trying to talk him into lowering it, but he's dead set on lift and 4x4. gotta re-mount the back axle. rebuild a little on the motor.

Attachments

• IMG_3430.jpg
    IMG_3430.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3431.jpg
    IMG_3431.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_3432.jpg
    IMG_3432.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
my roomate's got a 235 in his 49 chevy. i can go out and measure it for you. i'll post it up by the end of the day. not sure what trans he's got in it though. took those measurements.
roughly: 33" long to the nose of the fan, 26-28" tall from the deepest part of the oil pan to the top of the valve cover, 12" wide. hard to get a good measurement as it's all muddy outside right now, but the measure of length is good. pics are a little rough, camera screen got broke. my roomate just got this truck out of two years of storage, i'm trying to talk him into lowering it, but he's dead set on lift and 4x4. gotta re-mount the back axle. rebuild a little on the motor.

thanks thats close enuff for me to do some figuring! udate never mind the guy wants 600 for it and going to keep the trans sorry bout the highjack

Last edited:
the model a 4 banger block resembles a 6 cylinder, but that because of the 2 intake ports located between the 4 exhaust ports, all inline.plus ford didnt do an inline 6 till 41, after the failure of the model k in 1906-1907

How about a newer chevy/gmc 4.2 liter inline 6. 270+ hp, 25+ mpg and you can find them at any junk yard.

If you're going to run an inline don't get hung up on HP numbers torque is were its at with these engines. All mentioned above are good choices and I would pick the 300 ford if I had a choice. That being said I would go with what I found the easiest and cheapest. I'm not sure I understood the first post exactly but if they were talking about the Datsun 240Z 6 that would be a good choice for a high reving inline. Only problem is they're pretty hard to find and not cheep.

Latest posts

Back