straight 6 engine ideas

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
inline 6

Been running mine for 18mo now runs great...can light up the tires too. 250 Chevy boat motor with a 3 speed and posi rear end.Ball and Ball carbs.[dr

Like the majority of the guys are saying, I'd go with the 300 Ford. As far as the guys saying you can't make the head flow good - well, I wish I had pics or a vid of the guys who used to drag race a couple Mavericks in the late 70's in the Pacific Northwest. They were running in the 11's in the quarter, big wheelies and wheels off in second gear too!! They used toploader 4 speeds, downdraft weber carbs on their 300's, these cars would beat most guys with V8 engines of the same size and even larger, the six banger torque was awesome.

There's a 200 ford six and trans from a '66 mustang on CL for $400. Supposedly ran great, guy is just upgrading to v8. Only thing is the trans is not a toploader, it has those rods on the side that somehow link up to the shifter.

I think a big ford or chevy six is too big & heavy for what I'm looking to build. I want a very lightweight car so I think the small ford six is the ticket, plus they rev better. Only about 90hp but thats plenty for me and a 1500lb car.

- Anyone know what kinds of manual trans will bolt up to these small sixes?
- Or how hard is it to hook up the original linkages to a new shifter?
- And finally, anyone know who sells speed parts for these?

There's a 200 ford six and trans from a '66 mustang on CL for $400. Supposedly ran great, guy is just upgrading to v8. Only thing is the trans is not a toploader, it has those rods on the side that somehow link up to the shifter.

I think a big ford or chevy six is too big & heavy for what I'm looking to build. I want a very lightweight car so I think the small ford six is the ticket, plus they rev better. Only about 90hp but thats plenty for me and a 1500lb car.

Go snoop around Fordsix.com and you will find everything you ever wanted to know about any of the Ford sixes.

I skimmed the replies and I don't think anyone said a dodge flathead 6, I'm a big fan, at first I didn't think it would meet your criteria, but I found this video and it sounds pretty sick. Check it out. You can still get dual intakes and split exhaust for them. It may not rev as high as you would like but it scores high in the cool department.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smyHCN2DNC8

Clifford Research sell all kinds of hop up parts for 6's, their slogan is 6=8.
Ford toploaders are so named because of the top plate on the trannny case, the gears are 'loaded' from the top during assembly. They came in 3 and 4 speeds and also there were light duty smaller versions too found in Falcons and possibly Mustangs too, they were pretty weak. They all used side linkage, Hurst, B&M, Mr Gasket all make (or made) shifters for them.

Clifford Research sell all kinds of hop up parts for 6's, their slogan is 6=8.
Ford toploaders are so named because of the top plate on the trannny case, the gears are 'loaded' from the top during assembly. They came in 3 and 4 speeds and also there were light duty smaller versions too found in Falcons and possibly Mustangs too, they were pretty weak. They all used side linkage, Hurst, B&M, Mr Gasket all make (or made) shifters for them.

Ahhhh...so that's what that means. Ok, cool. I knew they used to make floor shifters to convert the 3-on-the tree F-100s. I'll have to check to see if those are still available.

Ideas for inline 6.

Check out the GM 4.2 aluminum I6 from the Trailblazer. Saw one in a 29 Ford roadster the other day. Looked great.

I came across this on craigslist and had to grab it. Ford 200 cu in 6 from a '66 mustang. Supposedly ran good and trans was rebuilt a couple of years before they swapped it out for a 5.0. Even got the old hurst shifter. Perfect for a future speedster project. $300.

I'd like to build a stand for it so I can clean it up and get it running. Anyone ever start an engine on stand? Got any pics of the stand you used?

Attachments

• P7230020.jpg
    P7230020.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 33
This one is a 3-speed. Yeah they do make an adapter kit for these to bolt up a t-5. The kit is $500 plus the t-5 so it's not cheap. Something to consider though.

All kinds of speed parts for these including new alum heads, cams, dual carb intakes, etc. You could spend a ton of money on one of these if you wanted to...

Got the carb rebuilt, got it running and painted it up. Pretty much ready to drop into the....car I have not started to build yet.[S

Attachments

• P9070009.jpg
    P9070009.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 25
Inline 6

DSCF0202.JPG

1950 ford 226. Got it off Ebay $25 the trans from the same guy $50 plus the guys wife made him give me a truck load of parts out of the garage! Rebuilt the carb checked the oil and started it! smoked some, but now the more it runs the better it gets! Not high reving but good plain fun and its not the what you see in every other rod.

52 fordman

maybe a bit newer or more out of the blue, but its fuel injected and quite the rev limit, and you may be able to make it tuned and sound like an old racer, but i was orginally going to use the toyota supra 1jz, twin turbo inline6. though to each his own, new or old, its an idea.

View attachment 46672

1950 ford 226. Got it off Ebay $25 the trans from the same guy $50 plus the guys wife made him give me a truck load of parts out of the garage! Rebuilt the carb checked the oil and started it! smoked some, but now the more it runs the better it gets! Not high reving but good plain fun and its not the what you see in every other rod.

52 fordman

It's interesting you don't hear more about those engines. I think they are cool. Looks alot like the flat 6 chrysler used from the 30's to the 50's that alot of people like. I guess they didn't make that many, compared to the v8.

Latest posts

Back