Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Questions/Suggestions

Questions/Suggestions Questions or suggestions about the forum... don't be shy!

Old 02-03-2016, 11:16 PM
He started out with nothing, he still has most of it!

Send a message via Yahoo to Yankee Transplant
Default 8 lug hubs ..

are all 8 lug bolt patterns the same ? I can get a 3/4 ton 8 lug 1952 chevy front axle.. I already have a 76 one ton chevy that I will be using the 350 out of for my rat rod .. If the 52 front axle will except the one ton wheels . I may make a one ton rat But this is just me thinking out loud and throwing stuff out there .. this idea of a one ton rat, will hinge on weather or not these wheels will fit the 1952 3/4 ton front axle.. any help ? Oh and on my frame if its home made how do I get it legal when I go get a tag for this rod .. we dont have to have a title for a 1975 and below here in Al. so im not talking about a title legal , but , they do inspect it ( per the tag woman) If it has not been tagged in 10 years or so .. are they going to say anything about a home made tubing frame ?
Old 02-03-2016, 11:24 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

I'll pm you tomorrow
Old 02-03-2016, 11:32 PM

10-4 Bama
Old 02-04-2016, 10:20 PM

Yankee, I used to do a lot of work no 1 ton pulpwood trucks back in the 70's. All the 8 lug wheels I dealt with had the same bolt pattern(chevy, ford, and dodge) but some had a different size center hole. Some had different size lug holes. Some of the wheels are shaped different on the inside and wouldn't fit over some brake drums. You have to get creative with a torch and drill. The center holes can be cut bigger and lug holes drilled out but you have to make sure the wheel will fit over the brake drums. I remember 1 time a guy wanting to put duals on a 3/4 ton ford. He had 2 chevy wheel and 2 ford wheel. The ford wheel wouldn't work on the inside but worked fine on the outside, all because of the size of the bake drum. Phil
Old 02-05-2016, 01:51 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Phil's right, some will, some won't. I think in the early to mid 80's Ford changed to a metric pattern or something, and the later wheels won't even fit earlier Fords.

Wow Phil, sounds like me and you have a lot in common! I worked in the woods some and ran a pulpwood yard a while back in the late 80's early 90's.
You think Rat Rodders are inventive? Y'all ought to have seen some of the stuff those pulp wooders came up with back then!
Old 02-05-2016, 07:35 PM

hadnt thought about the lug size ... but y'all are right .. may just stick with the pile I got now and get to looking for me a steering box thanks for kind of leading me in the direction a needed to go any way ..
Old 02-06-2016, 07:38 PM

Default 8 lug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamamav View Post
Phil's right, some will, some won't. I think in the early to mid 80's Ford changed to a metric pattern or something, and the later wheels won't even fit earlier Fords.

Wow Phil, sounds like me and you have a lot in common! I worked in the woods some and ran a pulpwood yard a while back in the late 80's early 90's.
You think Rat Rodders are inventive? Y'all ought to have seen some of the stuff those pulp wooders came up with back then!
Bama , I worked on a plenty of old pulpwood trucks back in the 70's and 80's. Those guys earned every penny and deserved more. I kept some old trucks patched up that really didn't need to be on the road. Tree length pulpwood put all those little guys out of business. I could go on and on but it would just bore everybody. Phil
Old 02-06-2016, 08:03 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Yeah, the longer length wood and all the machinery- feller bunchers, skidders, knucklebooms, all put the little pulp wooder out of business. Back then a fellow could get a worn out 3/4 or 1 ton truck, a powersaw, and some wood to cut and he could make a pretty good living if he wanted to work hard. In Walker and Fayette counties all the strip mining gave them a continuous amount of wood to cut before they started stripping for coal. First the wood started getting harder to get, then the strip mines started closing down. The little guy was screwed.

You're right on the trucks, I've seen a bunch that should have been cut up for scrap hauling short wood. That's one of the main reasons it's so hard to find any old trucks in this area. Most of them got worked hard in the woods and then destroyed. When the scrap prices went so high a few years back, everything those old pulpwooders had stuck back in the back 40 got hauled off. Now and then I see one pop up for sale, but most were so wasted they weren't worth saving.