Wnat will fit

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonegonzo

I'm changing to a standard shift tranny in my 50 PU .

I have an inline Chevy 250 and want to hook up to a standard transmission . What will fit including the s-10 tranny's ?

I found a 3 speed from a mid 80's 1/2 ton on Craig's List . Is that a good choice ?

Thx
Gonzo

kinda depends on what you want, how you intend on driving the truck and the rear gearing.

If it's a driver/cruiser and it has a 3:50 gear or lower, I'd consider at T5 from and s10. It'd be all around great gearing and overdrive for getting some decent mileage. It it's a work truck ~ lots of hauling/towing etc, the SM420/SM465's are stout.

The truck will be an all round cruiser / daily driver . I have a rear end from an 89 Trans Am but I'm not sure of the gearing .

Gonzo

chevy bolt pattern didnt change alot I put a 72 chevy 327 in a 49chevy truck and it bolted up to the 49 bell housing , but I still topped out at 50mph.. because on gear ratio stayed the same .. I just got there a hole lot faster :D as far as the s-10 ???? im thinking they will be different IDK

The 3 sp 80s is probably a muncie...would work. S-10, look for one from the 4.3 and you should have no problems fit wise.

most auto 89 trans am's had 3.27:1 rear gears. the standard ones had 3.45:1 rear gears. a 3 spd with a 1:1 3rd gear will work fine with either.

I'd think if you want to go to a standard tranny, more gears = more fun! A T5 from an S10 would be the better choice, you get a lower 1st gear plus overdrive. As Smallfoot said, one that came behind a 4.3 V6 is better strength wise compared to a 4cyl. one and it will have the correct bellhousing bolt pattern for your 250. I'm not sure on the flywheel, clutch and starter, if the 4.3 parts will work or if you need specific pieces from a 250 six ??

I bought a swap meet tranny as a 700-R4 but now am wondering . It has a big 3 with an A beside it on the bell housing . I really don't want to use it if I need a computer to run it .

Thx
Gonzo

Latest posts

Back