Manual trans choices for 6.0l LS motor

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flygti32

Hi guys, I am putting together a list of things I need for my rat rod build. 1950 Ford F68 on an S10 chassis. I have acquired a 6.0L LS motor from a 2005 Chevy 2500 series truck. I want to put a manual trans behind it. What are my choices than will allow to cruise the highway in comfort.

Whatever was in camaros, and GTOs with the LS motor I would think would be an option, but I am not 100% sure on that. We would also need ot know what rear end gear & tire size you are running to help estimate highway RPM based off whatever car you pull the transmission from.

I think nearly any GM tranny will hook up to an LS motor. I put a 700R4 behind my LS3 & all bolts matched except one!

BoB

I have a rear end out of the parts truck I have 2500 series chevy as well. I think its a 4.10 rear end? how would that work with a 5spd manual trans? or should I be looking for a 3.73 or something.

I have a rear end out of the parts truck I have 2500 series chevy as well. I think its a 4.10 rear end? how would that work with a 5spd manual trans? or should I be looking for a 3.73 or something.

I had a 4.10 & switched to a 3.73 & glad I did. 3.73 is a good all around gear, it has plenty of get up & go red light to red light & can cruise the highways too.

BoB

Hi guys, I am putting together a list of things I need for my rat rod build. 1950 Ford F68 on an S10 chassis. I have acquired a 6.0L LS motor from a 2005 Chevy 2500 series truck. I want to put a manual trans behind it. What are my choices than will allow to cruise the highway in comfort.
My Caddy has a Tremec 6 speed in it, but I doubt they come cheap. If you go that route, 1st is really low on it. My car has the 3.73 gears in it and about half the time I just start in second gear, if I ran across higher gears I think I would switch it to 3.42 or 3.56 something along that area.

You have the motor I am wanting to install in my 68 Olds....

Cheers

How tall of a tire are you going to run? If you are going to run something MUCH taller than what would have been on the car/truck that you pull the transmission from then I would say hold on to the 4:10 gears for a bit.

How tall of a tire are you going to run? If you are going to run something MUCH taller than what would have been on the car/truck that you pull the transmission from then I would say hold on to the 4:10 gears for a bit.

Tire choice hasn't been decided on yet, but I doubt anything bigger than a 16in with a 65 or 70 series sidewall.

Here is a starting point. This chart is for 65 mph, and without overdrive. If you get something with overdrive, just multiply the rpm by the overdrive ratio. For example, my pickup has a 0.73 to 1 overdrive. So I take the 2948 rpms from 4th gear which is 1:1 ratio, and multiply by .73 to get rpms in OD = 2152.

Of course you'll need to know the actual diameter of the tires you want to use.
That's where this link comes in handy. http://ejelta.com/tiresize/index.html?ws15=1&

Just pick a rim diameter, and go from there.
-

Latest posts

Back