'89 ford f- 150 rearend

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pushrod249

kinda stuck i'm trying to get my work truck ready for inspection and i need to replace the brake cables and cannot remove the drums. i released the pressure on the shoes. the drum seems to be pressed onto the axle shaft. the lug studs are pressed into the drum itself. axle is a stock ford unit in an '89 ford f- 150 4.9 6cyl 2wd 8' bed. any help is greatly appreciated as i am stuck here until i can fix this

I've got an 87 F150 and unless they changed, the drum just tends to stick to the axle - kinda digs in. Don't forget to remove the tabs off the 2 lugs (if they're still there). Otherwise your drum might have developed a lip?

I've had to use a couple a pry bars, one on each side, to pry the drums loose before. Just using a hammer to tap them off hasn't worked too well for me - just causes it to dig in at the axle and spring right back.

And my lugs are not pressed into the drum.

First check to make sure there are no little retainer clips around the studs that hold the drum on. If the drum were never off before there are usually two or three of them on each side.

If the drum is sticking to the axle flange there may be some rust. Try hitting on the flat part of the drum where the wheel mounts. Sometimes they will pop loose. If that does not work try putting some pressure on the back of the drum with a pry bar between the drum and backing plate and hit the flat area again.

If the drum is loose on the axle hub put still will not come off there may be a lip of rust behind were the brakes ride. You will have to back the shoe all the way off and pry them off.

Wet the axle center where it comes through the drum with your best rust penetrant. You can apply some heat around the same area with a small torch. If prying doesn't do it by itself, smack the front on the outer edge with a good size hammer. The angle of the hit will help walk the drum off the axle flange. The studs just look like they are part of the drum, wet them too if there is a lot of corrosion.

thanks to all

thanks fellas. i decided that i didn't like the idea of prying so, i bought a 5 ton 2 or 3 finger puller for $43. it only opens to 7 inches so i also picked up some 1 x 1/4 inch strap($7) and fabbed up my own fingers. quite a few turns of the breaker bar and some hammer taps n the drum popped right off. thanks again don

Latest posts

Back