TH 400 help

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

35 PROG

I have a TH 400 with a short output shaft tail housing out of chevy or GMC short school bus (1ton chassis). It has a solid yoke on the output. I want to change it to a slip yoke. I have never done any transmission work and limited mechanical work. Can this be done? What parts will I need? The trans was rebuilt shortly prior to me getting it. As everyone on here, I'm trying to keep costs low.

Thanks
Shawn

I "think" that truck yoke is held in place by a bolt that you accesss on the end after you remove the u joint. Then you simply use the slip yoke instead. If I'm wrong then you will need to swap out an out put shaft and housing from a passenger car.

No need to swap the shaft , simply use a slip yoke from a car or some trucks that uses a turbo 4oo , I used a slip yoke from the rear shaft of a 4x4 and shortened the yoke ( no biggie ) it was easy

Rear shaft details....

Gregster, Could you help me out a little, I have an 8.8 out of an Explorer. I bought a pinion shaft for it that will allow the use of a spicer style joint. (1310 ?) I would think if I could get a rear shaft from a 4X4 like you did this would give me both ends needed. I have not done any driveline type work so forgive the stupidity. What year(s) would I want to look at. And how far should it slide into the tail shaft?
Thanks

I didn't use the whole shaft just the yoke , any chevy or gmc truck 1/2 ton with the new process aluminum transfer case (not s-10 's ) . You may be able to use the whole shaft on your car , I don't know about the length in your application . I used to work at a chevrolet service department and had a slip yoke that I used as a "plug" when I would pull out transfer cases . It was just laying around and I thought I would put it to good use . I hope this helps you --- Greg

Latest posts

Back