pros and cons mini spool vs posi

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patina

I am debating on passing up a good deal on a mini spool for my model a hot rod. Just wanted to here some valid points about each.

Thanks

As above, spools are no fun on the street!! Unless you're constantly
doing donuts!! I had a spool in my truck for a while, cought myself not
even wanting to drive it anywhere!!
Hard to steer, rear tires constantly chirping around corners, but the worst part was. With my spring behind set up in the front with no panhard bar, when you turned sharp it would try and scoot the wheels!!
Just not a good idea!!

Yeah what they said.............and full spool or mini spool you will need upgraded axles or they can and do break

Those are strictly for circle track cars or drag cars, no place on the street. You just think you want one. The worst part is that the rear end will want to drive the car straight on turns and coming off of an on ramp will be fun.

I had a 64 Chevy and bought a set of 5.13 gears that had welded spiders in it (old way of getting a spool). It was horrible on the street and one night going over a speed bump I heard a clank and that was the end of the rear end.

Get a one wheeler or a posi, much more suited to the street.

Don

I completely agree with the guys on this one. You can't turn a spooled car worth a damn, and quite frankly, it's kinda dangerous.

If you guys don't mind, I'll tell a little story on the subject....

In the mid 90's we were competing at a big NHRA event. Everybody has to pass tech inspection, so we're lined up waiting our turn. The guy in front of us has a show-stopping '63 split-window Vette. He gets his inspection, but the car in front of him isn't done. He decides to pull out of line and around the car. He gets in, lights 'er up, turns the wheel hard left, and gives the throttle a little stab. The Vette didn't turn one inch, it bolted straight ahead and rammed itself right under the Duster in front of him. Made a huge mess of both cars and badly injured the poor bugger with the Duster.

thanks for the info. I rather have a posi anyway but someone offered a mini spool for a good deal. i passed anyway. I plan on driving this thing alot.

Good choice. Also, not every hot rod needs a posi. I have had lots of cars on the street with one wheelers and they are fine. Everyone has to have a posi just to say they have one, but standard rears hook up just fine in most driving situations. My 23 would light up both slicks when I got on it and so does my sons T bucket, both are one wheelers. For the first 20 years of my 27's life it had a one wheeler and it got driven hard.

Don

Non posi rear, both tires still leave black marks.

donstafternewtransinstalled003.jpg

Good choice. Also, not every hot rod needs a posi. I have had lots of cars on the street with one wheelers and they are fine. Everyone has to have a posi just to say they have one, but standard rears hook up just fine in most driving situations. My 23 would light up both slicks when I got on it and so does my sons T bucket, both are one wheelers. For the first 20 years of my 27's life it had a one wheeler and it got driven hard.

Don

Non posi rear, both tires still leave black marks.

donstafternewtransinstalled003.jpg

I'm with you Don, I'd rather spend my money somewhere else!!
Posi units a pretty pricey!!
One other thing, if I thought I was going to do some racing with my street car!! I probably would go with a locker type rear end! Many good ones now for circle track cars that aren't too high priced!!

well i wasnt plan on buying a posi or but if something happened to fall in my lap, i would probly grab it. i got 2 9 inchs both open diff. one has 3:55's and the other has 3:73's Not sure witch i will use at the moment

You's guys with those flyweight ve hicles!!

I'm with you Don, I'd rather spend my money somewhere else!!
Posi units a pretty pricey!!
One other thing, if I thought I was going to do some racing with my street car!! I probably would go with a locker type rear end! Many good ones now for circle track cars that aren't too high priced!!

Won't get both tires to spin without a posi on anything that has any weight to it....spools have their place but you need to know the adverse effects....especially on wet pavement....:eek: It's a race only thing in my humble opinion.....:D

I put a full spool with 3.89's in the 9" in my chevy truck..heavy truck, full interior with a big block and big drag radials..if i have to push it out of the garage it pretty much takes 3 people to push it and feels like it weighs 12 tons..not a spool fan..

51608044.jpg

No spool for me on the street either.
A good set of traction bars is good for an open rear.
What causes the right wheel to spin is the torque from the driveshaft tryin to lift the right wheel off the ground.

Latest posts

Back