TH350 way over filled, and its leaking. What to do?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

F1Rat

Ok so I have this 71 350 4 bolt main, and a 71 TH350 like that matters. It is leak badly out of the pan, and I checked it, and it is way over filled. What should I do? I have seen Oil over filled, and I simply do a oil. It is coming out badly around the pan, but I am not sure its the gasket. I have a strong feeling the over fill has lead to it pushing it out of the pan gasket. I am a standard shift T-5 tremec guy, and I am new to autos. What do you think I need to do? How can I dump the fluid with out changing the gasket. The gasket looks new, but it is leaving a huge puddle in my driveway. TIA

First of all, how have you confirmed it is over filled ? 350's tend to leak anyway from various places, like the pan gasket, the dipstick tube, the kickdown cable, and the shift shaft. Do you know for sure it is leaking from the pan gasket because fluid tends to run to places where it might not be actually coming from.

Don

I believe they will read over full when you check them cold. Make sure its at running temp before you check it.

I have to get under it again, because my dad brought this to my attention as well. I did see fluid all over the pan from both sides. I did check it cold, but when I said it was full, it was past the cross hatch marks, past the full when hot, and past the slight bend in the dipstick. It is way full. You are right, I have been driving tremec and T56s for the last 11 years. I totally forgot how to check them lol.

Last edited:
TH350 pan bolts should be torqued at 110 Inch pounds. Sometimes if they are not evenly torqued they will leak;)

Someone else should answer this, I is just a country bunki'n, but I would put the car on flat ground, and pull the fill tube out, draining the extra into a pan. Jack the drivers side if ya want more gone but you should be close.
Of course always secure the vehicle when raised to prevent accidents, a 2x4 upright is no longer considered proper in some circles.

GotRust has the right idea to get the excess oil out, though being over filled is not going to make the pan gasket leak - it won't pressurize the tranny, it's an open system. If it's really over filled it might puke fluid out of the vent tube.
I'd pop the pan off anyways, clean it all up and use a new dry gasket. Take a good look at the pan rails for any deformities and use a hammer and dolly to smooth out any dimpled bolt holes - lots of guys will over torque the pan bolts when it seeps a bit and warp the pan - the more you tighten them, the more it leaks..
Use silicone on the pan gasket (not gobs, just a thin smear !) and pull the dipstick tube and put a some on it too.
Start refilling it by adding a couple quarts, start it up and continue adding and checking 'till you are close, the level will rise as it warms up to operating temp so don't try to get it on the mark 'till it's warm.

Overfilled trannies will foam up the fluid....

causes slippage and as stated will normally puke fluid out the vent tube or even the dipstick tube.... not good....I'd take zz's advise and I quote: I'd pop the pan off anyways, clean it all up and use a new dry gasket. Take a good look at the pan rails for any deformities and use a hammer and dolly to smooth out any dimpled bolt holes - lots of guys will over torque the pan bolts when it seeps a bit and warp the pan - the more you tighten them, the more it leaks..
Use silicone on the pan gasket (not gobs, just a thin smear !) and pull the dipstick tube and put a some on it too.
Start refilling it by adding a couple quarts, start it up and continue adding and checking 'till you are close, the level will rise as it warms up to operating temp so don't try to get it on the mark 'till it's warm.

GOOD ADVISE....[cl

The last transmission shop we used suggested not using rubber gaskets on the TH350 we had, but to use cork instead. They said the cork (installed dry) would seal better and they were right.

Don

I've always had great luck with the high tack red stuff, but mainly on old VW stuff oil, rather than trans fluid... With the high tack stuff I could re-use gaskets on the valve covers after doing valve adjustments...

I did notice that Fel-pro is offering quite a few gaskets that are labeled do not use gasket adhesive, which is cool, they seem to work well, least on the cars I put them on so far...

Ok, so I am sorry I am just now getting to update. It is leaking out of the pan. I had my dad come over and check it all out, since I am a ford guy, and he has built chevys his entire life. Next week I am going to drop the pan and install a shift kit, and replace the gasket. Thanks everyone for all of your help.

OH!!!! You weren't even listening????

Ok, so I am sorry I am just now getting to update. It is leaking out of the pan. I had my dad come over and check it all out, since I am a ford guy, and he has built chevys his entire life. Next week I am going to drop the pan and install a shift kit, and replace the gasket. Thanks everyone for all of your help.

WTH???? Just kidding.....good that you located the problem....[cl

350 turbo trans pan

Use the cork gasket with no sealer or silicone. Don't know where the heck the statement that the bolts torque at 110 lbs came from must be a parts guy from Discount auto parts. ,that is as wrong as night and day. They torque at 8lbs if you torque them . If you torque them at 110 lbs you will break everybolt and possibly crack the case. :cool:

Use the cork gasket with no sealer or silicone. Don't know where the heck the statement that the bolts torque at 110 lbs came from must be a parts guy from Discount auto parts. ,that is as wrong as night and day. They torque at 8lbs if you torque them . If you torque them at 110 lbs you will break everybolt and possibly crack the case. :cool:

Not a parts guy from discount auto parts i just use a smaller torque wrench on pan bolts.[S

Latest posts

Back