Help Identifying Rear End

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

32Bowtie_Rat

Hi everyone!

I've been looking for rear ends & found one in good condition that the owner states is a 1970's Ford 8" but all other info is unknown. He got it from a neighbour that rebuilds mustangs but has no knowledge about it.

When asked for the casting numbers I was only provided with 070W and 4025A

Can anyone help me identify what it is I have here? What it came out of? What year? Gear ratio?

Also, he only wants $80 for it... Good deal?

Thanks! Can't wait to hear back!!!

Attachments

• $(KGrHqF,!rUFEuKO5umRBRnh0nJj,!%7E%7E48_20.JPG
    $(KGrHqF,!rUFEuKO5umRBRnh0nJj,!%7E%7E48_20.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 45
That looks like an 8" rear. About the same as mine ('75 Maverick) the only difference I see is the vent hole on mine is closer to the drivers side spring perch. It is 5-lug, isn't it? If your getting it from a guy who builds Mustangs, guess what. It's probably out of a '70's Mustang. They came with 8" rears.

The best way to verify is to check the sheetmetal tag that's attached to one of the center section bolts. It will tell you everything you want to know.
rearend ID info

If the tag is missing simply pull the center section and count the number of ring gear teeth then divide that by the number of pinion gear teeth and that will give you the gear ratio.
i.e. 38 ring gear teeth / 10 pinion gear teeth = 3.80

And yes $80 ain't a bad deal but it can't hurt to offer him less!

Also, is it the correct width that you'll need? You're gonna want a good 3" clearance between the tire sidewall and the body. Here's a good rearend width chart.
Rearend width chart

That is a good deal, these are drying up and hard to find anymore. In a lot of respects they are better in a light car than the 9 incher. Is it a 5 bolt wheel pattern because some were low performance 4 bolt versions ?

To tell if it is an 8 or 9, put a deepwell socket on the two bottom bolts that go around the center section. If the socket will fit it is an 8, but if you need a box wrench to get on them instead it is a 9 incher.

Don

If it's a 5 lug, it's a good deal. If it's a 4 lug, might as well pass. You can't put 5 lug axles in a 4 lug housing due to the axle tubes narrowing down at the ends.

Last 8" Maverick rear I sold I got $175 out of it. Last 8" I bought, a Fairlane one, I gave $50 for it.

Stock gears are probably either 2:79 or 3:00. More of them around than anything else.

We built my Son's T bucket around a mid 70's 8 inch rear and it has 2.79 gears in it. The plan was get it running then I was going to buy him some deeper gears for a Christmas present. But the 2.79 ended up being about right and the car still launches and accelerates hard, even with 30 inch rear tires. When he leaves a light in front of me I have to really push my 27 to keep up, and I am running more hp and 4.30 gears.

You might find the gears that are in it are perfect for your combination.

Don

Would there happen to be a aluminum tag on one of the studs holding the pumpkin to the housing. The number on there will tell you everything about that rear also do you know the measurement from wheel mount flanges

Oddly enough... he was taking his sweet time getting back to me & when I was asking all of these questions I got a very quick response back.... "sorry, I sold it."

Makes me wonder if it was hot

Latest posts

Back