Flying Eyeballs

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's where I got mine too... he's usually at Lonestar Round Up selling them! They're cast out of pewter!

This is the one I have... took it outta my truck when I sold it to put in my coupe!

BoB

Attachments

• design_175_d_h9hf.jpg
    design_175_d_h9hf.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 25
I think it dates back to early Egyptian times, but the ones we see were made popular by the famous pinstriper, Von Dutch.

Lore has it that Von Dutch drew his first flying eyeball in 1948 and that it later became somewhat of a trademark for him.
His young pal at the time, Dean Jeffries also did a version in which the eyeball had on roller skates.:cool:
Ed Roth also had a variation of one as well but it never caught on like his "Rat Fink" character did.
Like most myths its hard to know for sure where it all started........
Here is a pic of Jeffries striping a car with one airbrushed on his shirt. This one has a body.
Torchie

Attachments

• dgsdgs.jpg
    dgsdgs.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 22
Hmmm... I might have to get me one of those for my RPU. Thinking a single-bolt one would look good on the rad shell from time to time instead of the Ford emblem. Thanks for sharing!

contortionist

That's an uncomfortable position to be in to be striping!!

Attachments

• jefferies.JPG
    jefferies.JPG
    107.9 KB · Views: 11
And the lore is Roth copied the Rat Fink from Roach.

I don't know about The Rat Fink bob but there is still a debate in regards to Roth's "Monster" t shirts.
The story that I heard was the Roth was at a show and saw some of the art work from my Detroit home boy Stanley Mouse. He then started to do airbrushed shirts of his own. Or depending on who tells the story, Roth and Mouse worked together for a while.
Everybody steals from everybody. Von Dutch was known to tell people to use his ideas as much as they wanted. His logo is a take off of the Norton Motor cycle script.
Here is a sample of a Mouse Monster.
Torchie

Attachments

• 8dd7409a9f43e027d9d4200d3f635fec.jpg
    8dd7409a9f43e027d9d4200d3f635fec.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back