What Did Ya Get Done This Weekend?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, just started the weekend again. The rock we had scheduled for friday finally arrived on monday about 11:00 am. They dropped 60 yards. I moved 40 yards about 200 yards down the road with a 1/3 yard bucket. With a full load, that's 120 trips. Junior got here after work monday to spell me for a while. He made few trips and complained the clutch was slipping. I got back on the tractor and ran to the pile. He was right, not enuff balls left to scoop a bucket. So, Friday the 13 has been Kubota break down day. Off with the loader. Up in the barn. From about 9 am this morning when my help showed up till 5:30 this pm, I've been neck deep in 33 year old tractor parts. Got the thing broke down to get the clutches out. Had been running into problems verifying which plates to order because there were several different choices to make with different spline counts online. I needed to see what it had before ordering if I have to go online. I have a dealer in town about 15 miles from here. If they are open tomorrow and have the parts, I'll be putting it back together. Otherwise, it'll be waiting on parts.
This tractor is new to me...relatively. Never broke one of these down before. Getting the loader off wasn't bad. Getting the tractor in half, hmmmm, Got tin laying every where, clutches came out in the last half hour. The rest of the day was taking sheet metal off...I hate that! It was time to go in. Lots of wear and most everything we dealt with had been shook loose....more fun tomorrow!

Last edited:
Will the fly wheel have to be resurfaced?
Will it get a new pressure plate and throw-out bearing, while you're that deep in it?
Inquiring minds want to know :)[P

I HATE anything that gets in the way of the main mission, like fixing a tractor when you're supposed to be working it. Sounds like you have the patience and the mindset to handle it.

Has it dried up around there? I see it's gonna be 97 in Tampa today. Very tropical around here considering this is the north woods.

Last edited:
A historic train from the national railway museum was stretching its legs today. My son wanted to take a pic of it with my tractor so off we went to the track... great weather for a little cruise :D

Attachments

• edited-7192.jpg
    edited-7192.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 18
Spent 3 days making a frame to hold my gas tank. Looked like dog doo so i threw it on the scrap pile. Ordered some t-bolts and straps from Tanks and will try and make that work.:rolleyes:

Spent 3 days making a frame to hold my gas tank. Looked like dog doo so i threw it on the scrap pile. Ordered some t-bolts and straps from Tanks and will try and make that work.:rolleyes:

At least you didn't waste too much time on it.:D

Will the fly wheel have to be resurfaced?
Will it get a new pressure plate and throw-out bearing, while you're that deep in it?
Inquiring minds want to know :)[P

Dual stage clutch in this. Neat setup. Replacing both the traveling disk and the pto disk along with the release bearing. Flywheel looks good. Belleville springs are good along with the rest of the clutch stack. Wasn't able to find in stock parts so I went thru amazon. Got all three parts for about 220.

I HATE anything that gets in the way of the main mission, like fixing a tractor when you're supposed to be working it. Sounds like you have the patience and the mindset to handle it.

Has it dried up around there? I see it's gonna be 97 in Tampa today. Very tropical around here considering this is the north woods.

I know what ya mean Bob. Too much time just to get to the real reason for going.
We have dried up some although it's still critical. Got enough rock and road base across the bad spot where we should be good for a while. Just had so much rain come at one time it produced a situation much like a big hurricane. Last we heard we are 141 inches above normal rainfall. If the water level gets down enough, there will be 3 extra culverts placed in some strategic places on this road. That will put us good. Right now, we know what capacity we have to make the water exit is not enough...

Watching Craigslist paid off Friday. I scored a Maverick 8" rear end with a rare 3.40 gear. It'll be good match for the slant 6 with O.D. 4 speed in my '29 Chevy roadster pickup project.
Got the dragster completed and made a check out pass in the driveway. Fun. Going to the Meltdown Drags in Byron, Illinois next weekend.

I'm at an impasse on my coupe so I decided to do some much needed work on my tractor. It's been running rough so I put in new plugs, disassembled the carb, cleaned it & put it back together. Tomorrow I'm gonna set the points & timing & get it started back up.

The other thing Mrs Tripper & I did was pick wild grapes growing on our road & she made yummy grape jelly. We'll get about 10-15 pints & while she's at it she's gonna make some jalapeno jelly too... yipppeee!!!

BoB

Attachments

• carb.jpg
    carb.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 18
  • grapes.jpg
    grapes.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 18
41" above normal? Wow, we aren't even close to 41" total! If we were I'd need a canoe to get to work.

Yessir, seemed like every time it rained it was a downpour. I've been back in here for 28 years now and have seen it flood 3 times before, but always in close proximity to major storms which usually recede quickly. We had so much on every rain it backed up farther than most storms do. The water flows west from this area, and the only 2 drains to get the water out, go across here. The culvert on the driveway is 24" and it's taking all it can. I have the drainage creek for the lake around me on my property and I opened that up a week ago. Junior helped me dig a second ditch off of that one night to add flow. For the moment we're in good shape. No real rain for the last 4 days except today at about 4pm another gully washer but short lived. Being hurricane season, who knows what's next.

Finally finished getting the fake '23 T body exchanged for the real steel '26 rpu body. Took it for a shakedown and the only problem was that it wasn't charging. I can deal with that. Battery is 4 years old and may be part of it. Didn't change the exhaust in any way but not liking the sound now. I can't upload pix from this primitive phone.

Yessir, seemed like every time it rained it was a downpour. I've been back in here for 28 years now and have seen it flood 3 times before, but always in close proximity to major storms which usually recede quickly. We had so much on every rain it backed up farther than most storms do. The water flows west from this area, and the only 2 drains to get the water out, go across here. The culvert on the driveway is 24" and it's taking all it can. I have the drainage creek for the lake around me on my property and I opened that up a week ago. Junior helped me dig a second ditch off of that one night to add flow. For the moment we're in good shape. No real rain for the last 4 days except today at about 4pm another gully washer but short lived. Being hurricane season, who knows what's next.

Wow, I can't imagine getting as much rain as you have. Hopefully it slows up for a while for you!

Wow, I can't imagine getting as much rain as you have. Hopefully it slows up for a while for you!

wish I had some of that water... I cant remember it being this dry here before. Got a 15ft deep midieval wel in front of the house holding 4" of water :( Cows eating hay right from the land , first fruit trees are dying and more heat and no rain in any forecast [S

Holy cow! I'm watching weather forecasts. Friday is calling for really heavy rain. Looks like up to 7 inches expected around here and 12 inches for Tampa area...

Latest posts

Back