What Did Ya Get Done This Weekend?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
small: Where I come from, average rainfall per YEAR is 14.3".

I once had plans to build an airboat... I was "this" close to pulling the trigger, but the guy hung himself before I could buy his plans, templates or ready to weld kit. :eek: Anyhow, if I lived in your neck of the woods, I'd have one!

Got the dragster completed and made a check out pass in the driveway. Fun. Going to the Meltdown Drags in Byron, Illinois next weekend.

Good luck in Byron, bob! Are you taking anything else? Do you still have your Crosley?

Good luck in Byron, bob! Are you taking anything else? Do you still have your Crosley?

Thanks Dr. C. Currently I'm not able to load or tie down the dragster because of what is presumed to be arthritis and bone spurs in a shoulder (operation 7/30 on the shoulder). That's why Dave is taking the car down there and running it.
The last time the Crosley was run the engine went sour and the starter fragged. No time or physical strength to fix it.
Lots of parts and some cars will be going away when I can find buyers.

I once had plans to build an airboat... I was "this" close to pulling the trigger, but the guy hung himself before I could buy his plans, templates or ready to weld kit. :eek: Anyhow, if I lived in your neck of the woods, I'd have one!

Yessir, airboats are fun! Just remember if you build one. There are no brakes. The only time it is controllable is under throttle with a change in direction. But if you are in good running ground it is only wet grass. Try stopping your favorite hotrod by diving into a 180 spin at 70...:D

After oil/filter change, plugs... set the timing today on my 8n & it starts & runs like a champ now. To hot to mow more than 10-15 in the middle of the day but I'll be after it in the morning early! :D

BoB

Same here, average rainfall in Edmonton is 14.4", plus another 4.4" of water from the snow melt.

Thanks Dr. C. Currently I'm not able to load or tie down the dragster because of what is presumed to be arthritis and bone spurs in a shoulder (operation 7/30 on the shoulder). That's why Dave is taking the car down there and running it.
The last time the Crosley was run the engine went sour and the starter fragged. No time or physical strength to fix it.
Lots of parts and some cars will be going away when I can find buyers.

I hope you can still attend and enjoy Byron, bob. I also hope your surgery goes well, relieves your pain and restores your ambition.

Yessir, airboats are fun! Just remember if you build one. There are no brakes. The only time it is controllable is under throttle with a change in direction. But if you are in good running ground it is only wet grass. Try stopping your favorite hotrod by diving into a 180 spin at 70...:D

I've never been aboard an airboat and my plans to build one have long left my pea brain. That said, I can appreciate its handling or lack thereof. My jet boat (I'd think) handles much the same... no rudder in the water, steered strictly by throttle and thrust. [ddd

It was like 94 degrees in our shop the past couple of days, and that really kept me from getting a lot done. But I did get in my new brake parts from Rock Auto, for the 8 inch Ford rear end, and when I went to put them on I found I had lost a couple of small parts, that you need to reuse, over the past few years. So today I headed to the local pick and pull and got the ones I needed.

Got the brakes all buttoned up, and started to mount my electric fuel pump on the rear frame rail. I need to order a Fram fuel filter to install before the electric pump, and I am going to do that right now, from Summit.

I also had to install a new set of rear coil overs that I was keeping for my now detoured altered project, because the ones I installed about 5 years ago were needing new bushings, and the car has never been even driven ! The rubber was cracking and I didn't feel like ordering new bushings right now, so I just modified the new coil overs I had sitting and put them on. They look better anyway, they are all chromed.

They also lowered the back of the car a little, which I needed. Not sure where it will sit until I get the body , bed, interior, fuel tank, etc on it, but I have a lot of adjustment both up and down.

My son is knee deep in his VW project, so I didn't want to take him away from it, but I will need to get him to weld up the crossmember I notched, maybe one night this week. Then I can paint the driveshaft and get that installed for the last time.

I didn't make it to the Meltdown Drags. I'm just too sore to drive that far. So far it has been a rainy weekend down there and Dave has only made one run.

On the home front, 2 years ago I left the Anglia outside overnight in the rain. I didn't realize it but one cylinder filled with rainwater. When I tired to start it it wouldn't budge. See the pic of the bent rod as a result of hydrolocking. At that time Dave, my friend who drives my dragster gave me a 305 and we dumped it in. It ran fine until a few weeks ago when it started fouling one plug. In the meantime I bought a replacement piston and had my favorite engine shop put it on a reconditioned rod. Today I took the pistons and rods out of the 355 block that normally resides in the Anglia. Wanted to make sure the crank wasn't bent. Seems okay as it rotates real smooth.
In the next few weeks the engine will go back together and back in the Anglia.

Attachments

• Anglia engine 001.jpg
    Anglia engine 001.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 20
  • Anglia engine 002.jpg
    Anglia engine 002.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 18
This happened to my carb'd LS3 after it sucked the air cleaner bolt! PSA: ALWAYS put locktite on your air cleaner bolt!!!!!!!!

BoB

Ouch, Bob !!!! :eek::eek: That isn't going to buff out.

In about 1968, a buddy of mine was putting the nut back on the carb on his 66 GTO fourbarrel engine. He removed the air cleaner, and was screwing the nut back on, while the engine was running. He had previously lost the wingnut and had a square hardware store nut on it instead.

As it was idling, he dropped the nut into the engine and it somehow got past the butterflys and into the combustion chamber. The engine immediately started making strange noises, and then the smoke started pouring out of the tailpipe.

He was disgusted with the car, and I bought it from him, and when I tore the head off, there was a perfectly square hold punched in the top of the piston, the exact shape of the nut. :D A piston was something like $11, plus some rings and a head gasket, and I had it back together, and nothing else was hurt.

But yours doesn't look like an $11 piston will fix that one. :(

Was getting ready for a 2,400 km journey starting this Wednesday on Saturday and discovered the cause of some funny steering and weird tire wear. Upper control arm bushings on the pass side were hammered out. Replaced them yesterday and we're back in business.

Sure glad I found that before the trip!

Road trip

Don and Betty (41 Chevy coupe) My Son and His girlfriend (my 33 Pontiac) Me and Judy ( my wife in the 37 GMC) went on a 120 mile road trip Sunday.
This is a little town West of Springfield Mo. called Billings which was established in 1871.
The lady who painted the mural just got it finished about a month ago.
:eek: Got so involved in the trip we forgot to take pics other than this one. Sorry

attachment.php

Attachments

• Billings Mo.jpg
    Billings Mo.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 46
Love the pic OI. I imagine you've bought a part or two at the Springfield Swap Meet.

I cleaned the 350 block that was in the Anglia and is going back in as soon as I get it assembled. All the parts are on order. The crank was not damaged when the engine hydrolocked. Got the cam, pistons and rods installed today.

My dragster was at the Meltdown Drags in Byron, Ill. where there was rain on and off all three days. Dave waited in staging for hours and when he did his burn out they shut him off because it was leaking. Somehow the master cylinder lid came off and brake fluid was dripping out. Saturday they ran 1/8th mile because water was weeping out of the track farther down.
Dave tried to load the converter and pushed through the lights and red lit. The e.t. was bad but it did run 95mph in the 1/8th. That's it, almost 800 miles round trip for one run. But Dave said he had a great time.

Latest posts

Back